Famous Firearm Follies

Status
Not open for further replies.
About six years ago I was out to our local gun club plinking with a Ruger 10/22 I had a thirty round high cap mag that was given to me by a friend to try out, so anyway I load up the mag stick it in the gun and placed the butt stock on my leg so the muzzle was pointing straight up in the air. I was waiting for other people to finish shooting, and I must of bumped the trigger because then the gun went full auto and shot the roof of the club pavillion all to hell.

[This message has been edited by Kimber Man (edited July 17, 1999).]

I'm at the range, testing my brand new (at the time) Ruger Mark II government model, and getting some range time with my HK USP .40 as well. The USP is sitting in it's gray box, waiting for it's turn, on the shelf on my lane.

I'm wearing my eye and ear protection, plinking away, testing my marksmanship. Then, I'm halfway through a magazine and all of a sudden I'm being burned in the middle of my back! I clench up, and discharge a round right into my USP's grey box (fortunately missing the USP). Turns out that a piece of hot brass had ejected from the Mark II, bounced off the wall and ceiling of the lane, and then went down the back of my shirt.

Needless to say, I was not happy about the event and extremely embarrassed.

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

My first pistol I bought when I was 21 was a Browning High Power. It has the magazine disconnect, and I trained on it for years before having to sell it when my son was born.
Years later I purchased a TA-90 (a CZ-75 copy). Very similar to the Browning but "no" magazine disconnect. I had it in a sporting goods store trying to find a holster to fit it. Finger in trigger guard, pistol goes into holster, bullet comes out of muzzle, through holster, through counter top, into rack of pool cues. Cost me about $200 and, so far, 16 years of thanking God that no one was hurt by my stupidity. Don't ever get cocky and think it can't happen to you!

[This message has been edited by kingknives (edited July 18, 1999).]

I know the feeling of hot brass--I had one bounce off the partition at an indoor range and land inside my glasses, just under my eye. No ND, just lots of twitching while trying to keep the muzzle downrange. Ouch.

I did have an ND while hunting with my muzzleloader. Late in the day I had intentionally cocked the hammer, but for some reason decided to lower it, without firing. It was in December, and my hands were cold, so I didn't realize that I was carefully holding my tang peep sight back while I pulled the trigger. Blam! At least I obeyed one of the rules, and had the rifle pointed in the air.

I had a hunting client, at the end of a 23 hour day mountain goat hunting, try to lower the bolt while holding the trigger. At least, that's what he was trying to do. He pulled the bolt all the back, looked in the chamber, empty, then closed the bolt, then pulled the trigger. There's nothing louder than a .30-06 going off at 4:30am when you're in your sleeping bag. I got out of mine, looking for a causalty, and found a shaking, white-faced 50 year-old, standing right next to a big hole in the ground. I relieved him of the rifle and sent him to bed. He had a full magazine that he didn't check. I believe he learned something that morning.

Excellent thread. Thanks to Kodiac for starting it and all who have contributed!

Well, I'm relatively new to the world of firearms, having purchased my first one just this past January. The worst ND/AD I've committed so far has thankfully only been an instance at the range where I had the hammer of my revolver cocked while (stupidly) at the same time had my finger resting on the trigger before I was entirely targeted and ready to fire, only to have the gun discharge just a little too soon and go well above the target. Thankfully it was pointed in a safe direction and I did hit the backstop.

I think it was boing that related the only ND/AD that I recall in this thread that involved a BB gun as opposed to a firearm. I will add a second. Many years back (I must've been 10-12 yrs. old or so) I was messing around in the basement with my Dad's old Daisy spring-action BB gun. My siblings and a friend were sitting on the steps and I pointed the gun in their direction, considering pulling the trigger as I was "sure" that the gun was not loaded, but I knew it had been cocked. They flinched and yelled at me, and thankfully I reconsidered my action and dropped the muzzle down away from them. I kind of mocked them a bit, insisting their fear was unfounded, as the gun was "unloaded". I then proceeded to attempt to prove my point by putting the muzzle up to my leg and pulling the trigger, shooting myself point-blank in the leg. I was wearing jeans and the gun was rather old and not very powerful, but man, that b*st*rd stung! I had a nice quarter-sized bruise on my thigh for a while. I still cringe at the thought that I had aimed a loaded and cocked gun, if only a BB gun, at anyone, especially my siblings. I thank God often, upon thinking back on that incident, that I didn't pull the trigger while having the muzzle aimed at them. If someone had to feel the sting of that BB, I'd much rather it be me than them.

BTW, I've noted many mentions of the "4 rules of safety" or whatever they are referred to. I can't recall ever hearing of or reading of these. Would someone mind posting these rules, for at least my benefit if not for the benefit of others who haven't seen these specific rules? Thanks!

Thankfully this ND was adult supervised....

My father and a good friend of his has taken me (14 years old) along to their favorite dirt/gravel pit for a Saturday morning shooting session.

My father was going to test out the "colonial " .45 caliber kit pistol he put together. It was a blackpowder affair with primer caps. You would have to load the powder, then ball, then manually pull back the hammer 1/2 way, set the primer, then pull the hammer the other half of the way back. Aim, then squeeze.

Anyway, my father and his friend do some shooting; I guess making sure it won't explode because I can't recall if the phone books ever were hit.

Then it is my turn. I do everything they say, making sure to do it right the first time so I can have a second shot, and so when I put the primer cap onto the nipple (that is what it is called right?), the pistol goes off.

I don't know if I tried to seat the cap too hard, or the nipple got too hot and set it off, or what. I just know that I got a decent burn on my right thumb, and my left hand/arm/shoulder went numb from the blast that left the gun pointing 75 degrees above horizon.

And no, I didn't hit any of the phonebooks either.

I didn't want a second chance.

Nor did my dad or his friends on that day.

I didn't get chewed out since they were watching me, which I think was good of them.

Kind of put me off blackpowder though.

Haven't shot one since. But I am sort of curious......

Duncan

BAB, honored to oblige:

1. ALL guns are always loaded.
2. Never point the muzzle at anything you don't intend to destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
4. Know your target, and what is beyond (and around, for that matter).

I've heard some variations on these, but I believe most folks consider these the universal rules of firearms safety. Small children can even memorize these, and I test my kids at least twice each month.

Regards from AZ

Oh, mine? Just a .25 through Mom's cabinets.

Better was my roommate practicing rapid racking and firing of his SMLE. He then practiced a rapid reload, racked one in and, as I said "Don't....", he put a .311 hole into our living room wall. Room full of burnt cordite. Ringing, ringing. Fear; there's a house on the other side of that wall. I turned out the be first one around the house, and locate the hole. I then trace the line of the bullet to the other house (30 feet west of my house) just as the neighbor and his 12 year-old son come out of the house next door. Boy states that the bullet bulged out the plaster in the wall just above his head while he read in bed. The next day, Bill brings neighbor a case of his favorite beer, and (this is priceless) bakes 4 dozen cookies for the kids.

Long Path.

Boing- you're not the only one with a BB gun/TV experience. I did virtually the same thing except with a spring actuated BB pistol. I was sitting, watching TV gun in lap, finger on trigger. POP! I wasn't consciously pointing the gun or anything and it hits where??? You guessed it, smack in the middle of the screen. My parents got a new TV pretty quickly but that was the one I had from 8th grade all through college.

BTW - The main reason my parents couldn't stand the TV was that all newscasters and even Johnny Carson always had bullet wounds to the head.

Another incident was with a .22 caliber pellet pistol (some german make, can't remember what kind but the barrel broke over to cock and load). I was walking along looking for a good target (finger on trigger like an idiot), and shot myself in the foot. It blackened my big toenail and tore my tennis shoes.

This wasn't an AD, but easily could have been... I was downstairs on the computer and had just taken my Glock 19 out of the safe. I decided to try some dry firing and since I never keep my guns loaded in the safe I didn't check. I do one dry fire (still pointed at the floor) to get reaquainted with the trigger feel then do the half-rack the Glock requires to reset the trigger. I almost pooped my pants when I caught the glint of silver through the port. I had a hi cap loaded with 10 rds. of 135 gr. hydrashoks!!! That has since put the fear of god in me especially so because if I had an AD with my wife upstairs asleep either my guns would be gone or she would. It's at best a shaky truce as it is now...

Remember: Those who can't do teach. Those who can't teach, teach teachers.

ALWAYS REMEMBER THE 4 RULES!!!
(especially #1 & #4) ;)

------------------
Anarchism: The radical notion that I am the sole authority when it comes to deciding what's best for me.

1. I was about 10 years old, had a bb gun. Dog was about closer than I thought. Shot at him, actually saw the bb arc through the air. It hit him and he yelped. I felt bad. He was afraid of guns from then on (both the sight and smell of guns made him cower and hide). I felt bad. never point a gun at anything you don’t intend to shoot

2. In the army, guarding an ammo depot in Panama. The General came around that night to visit. I talked to him and he went on (in his jeep with the Sgt. Major). About 15 minutes later, heard one shot (5.56). One of our privates shot at their jeep. Said the trigger got caught on a sandbag. Fat chance. When we got back to base, the private was there holding a full sandbag at arms length. MG, if you’re out there, I would like to know what really happened!

3. After a few months out of the army, my trigger finger got itchy. A friend of mine knew of a farm we could go shooting. I brought, loaded, & carried: 12 ga pump, 12 ga semi, Mini-14, .357, .38, and the .41 Ruger Blackhawk single action. (I musta thought I was rambo). When loading the .41, I had an AD when lowering the hammer. The pistol was pointed at the ground and the round went 6” from my buddies foot. We looked at each other and I replied “meant to do that”. Yeah, right! Sorry you messed your drawrs, DL! Now that I am much wiser and less of a punk, I only take 2-3 guns with me. This was the worst ND/AD I ever had. I don’t use that .41 much anymore, but when I do, you can bet I leave the hammer on an empty chamber (I don’t care to send it in to ruger for the modification).

------------------
Blackie
NRA, GOA, ISRA

Long Path. Not to be a nitpicker, but Jeff had the rules in the correct order. #3, Jeff Cooper's 'Golden Rule' is keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target. #4 is be sure of your target, and what's beyond it. Cooper taught me, I taught my Dad :)

[This message has been edited by Doug in PHX (edited July 20, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Doug in PHX (edited July 22, 1999).]

I've been quite lucky in my life as I've only had two minor incidents with firearms.

One was when I was 14 and still learning basic firearms safety with my Crossman CO2 pellet revolver. Initially I got in the bad habit of counting my shots...figuring how hard could it be for a person to count to six. Well, I messed up one day after shooting what I thought was a six shot string. I jokingly pointed the thing at the ceiling of my garage and fired figuring it was empty. POW! One nice .177 hole in the ceiling. My parents haven't noticed it to this day.

The other was with a custom 1100 I have that was propped against the wall with the action open. Now this shotgun had one of those Choate carrier releases that portrudes quite a bit. Well, I reached down without noticing the action was open, grasped the 1100 around the receiver, tightening my grip, accidently engaged the carrier release, and SLAM the bolt rammed home onto two of my fingers. Boy that hurt!

Otherwise, no problems.

- Anthony

First:
Found out the rebounding hammer on a cheap Spanish revolver was *not* like that on a S&W. Late-night knock at the door and I'm alone. Stuff revolver in back pocket of Levi's. Walk around bed buttoning up the fly. Slip, drop, BOOM!

Never did find the bullet. My guess is that the top bunk's mattress soaked it up. The roof never leaked, ya know...

Moral--
1. Never, never even own a gun that will go bang if dropped.
2. Never, never, never stuff your gun in an insecure carry mode.

Second:
Closing the bolt on a .22 at the local indoor range. Birdie finger goes into the trigger guard and trips the trigger, I think like the SMLE speed-fire technique. One into the ceiling. I think it's the NRA fundamental from the 80s (they had 3 then) about always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction was operational and saved trouble.

#3:
You'd think I'd have learned by now... Almost 10 years after the second...

Test-fire Ruger 10-22 with flash hider in front of a very very tall backstop after flashing car lights and calling out warnings. Shoot Ram-Line magazine empty. Go home. Itch to dry-fire (DANGEROUS!!!). Cycle bolt twice to cock and make sure the chamber is empty. Lose one good glass lampshade after consciously moving my aim to an area where I KNOW the walls will contain a .22 LR.

Moral:
1--First thing--take mag out, always!!!!
2--there is never any substitute for a tactile chamber-check.
3--See rules #1 and #4.

No funnies here (at least the way I can tell 'em), but valuable lessons.

Variations on the fundamentals--

Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

Keep the action open and the gun unloaded until you are ready to shoot.

Keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target and ready to shoot (I would say "and have decided to shoot.")

I see value in having only 3 or 4 fundamentals, but there may be need for a "unification" effort. The "safe direction" and "willing to destroy" directives are differing expressions of the same rule, and generally apply only when we are *handling* the firearm...

First time poster to this board.

2 incidents, 1 mine, one told to me by my dad.

Out shooting pigeons with a buddy at the sight of a couple of grain elevators that had just been bulldozed and set on fire. About 16 years old, and obviously not thinking. I decided that it would be neat to find out how long it takes for a .22 round to cook off. Obviously it was a lot shorter time than I thought. Heard the whizz and felt the breese go by my ear. Oh, and this was the third time we had done that that afternoon.

Dad's story went like this. Has a buddy that likes to work the action and pull the trigger on his .223 while he's siting around. They decide to drive into town, and take the .223 and shoot a few coyotes (sp?). As the drive down the lane, Dad's pal worked the action and pulled the trigger, forgetting that he had inserted the mag. Dad says the sound was deafening. He pulled the truck over and happened to look at the guages and saw the oil pressure dropping like a rock. After pushing the truck a mile back up the lane, and going into town in another truck to get a new oil filter (without rifle), Dad's buddy apologized profusely. Strangely enough, this was about 8 years ago, and this last year Dad was given the same rifle by his pal as a gift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back