Famous Firearm Follies

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may seem the Ruger Single Six has a hidden 7th chamber in the cylinder...
:)

------------------

Resistance is Futile

The fellow who got me into competitive shooting told me this one about himself.

He was sitting in a trailer, getting ready for the hunt with a couple buddies. He unloaded his Ruger Super Redhawk and was dry firing it at the floor. He set it down, stood up and got some food, sat back down, picked the gun back up, and went back to dry firing. Imagine his surprise when a .44 Mag sized hole appeared in the floor between his feet.

It turns out that his buddy had a Ruger Super Redhawk also, and had set it down near his. He grabbed the friend's loaded gun by mistake.

I also witnessed a fellow shoot himself twice in the foot with 230 LRN from a 1911 style pistol. He had his finger on the trigger and knocked the safety off as he was holstering. I explained this in detail in a different thread.

To this day he blames it on the holster (it was a brand new IPSC style.) Sometimes I want to tell him it was his own damn fault and quit blaming the holster, but I have held my tongue so far. I also stand back a ways when he shoots.

Steve Koski
skoski@geneva.com

I have had only one “negligent discharge” in over 30 years of shooting and thousands of rounds fired. I was shooting at a prairie dog with a Power Custom .38 Special. I missed with the first five rounds double action so I decided to try the last round single action. I cocked the revolver back and then decided to lean over the spare tire on my 1972 Ford Bronco. As I positioned myself behind the tire, I managed to shoot the darn thing point blank. You could here the bullet spinning around between the tire and wheel for quite awhile. That experience really heightened my awareness and I have had no lapses in attention since.

Negligent or accidental discharges are serious business and not very funny. Well, maybe this next one was a little bit funny. During my first year in law enforcement, my training officer and myself were sitting around the PD eating supper and watching the radio for the dispatcher while she went to the bathroom. The dispatcher often brought her cat to work and my partner really hated that cat. The cat was sitting on a ledge under a window. You know where this is going don’t you? Anyway, my T.O. removes his model 58 Smith and Wesson .41 magnum from his holster and swings the cylinder open dumping the cartridges on the desk. Apparently he didn't’ use the ejector rod because one round remained. I think he blew the cat through the window on about the third “dry fire”. Thank goodness the round was stopped by our brand new Chevy suburban!

Sometimes ill-designed guns make ADs easier...a friend was cycling a 20ga pump that his neighbor returne dloaded and his finger slipped off the reliase latch...blam!
I remember wondering about showing off the gun indoors...after I hit the floor.

Got a load of smallshot into a ceiling beam...wood chips and pellets all over the living room. We never let him live it down.

When I was 16(? Dad remembers) I had loaded my Rem 870 to keep in my room - Only while he was out of town. Anyway, after he returned home, I was sitting on the edge of the bed, pumping live rounds out of the chamber. Anybody seen the button you need to depress to unload a Rem 870, its mounted on the front of the trigger guard.. Apparently the safety was NOT on, and my finger slipped down onto the trigger discharging a round. The shot went straight up, missed my head by less than a 1'. And blew a hole straight thru our roof. I didn't shoot again for over a year. It scared the daylights out of me. Not Funny, but a good example, to remind us how important basic firearms safety / ettiquette really is.

I was loading a plain-jane Springfield 1911-A1 that I bought used at a gun show. Whoever had the gun before me did a trigger job on it, but it appeared to have been a good job--crisp, light trigger pull, but not too light. I got in the habit of loading the gun (by watching some LEO friends) by locking the slide back, manually inserting a round in the chamber, dropping the slide, and then inserting a magazine. Well, by reading this you can probably guess what happened--dropped the slide, and the hammer followed--BOOM! Blew a hole in my living room floor. After recovering from my state of shock and denial, I found the spent casing, which convinced me that I did indeed experience an accidental/negligent discharge. I casually strolled outside, looked across the street at the fire station, looked next door at the police station, then over to the cafe which was filled with its normal Sunday morning crowd. When I finally determined that nobody was reacting to the gun shot in the middle of town, I figured out that the sear spring was a bit weak and decided to replace it. Needless to say, I changed my way of loading my pistols.

After telling this story to a friend, he told me that he had an old semi-automatic shotgun that belonged to his grandfather. It had been in storage for about 50 years, but he decided to take it with him on a camping trip with his son. Once at the camp site, he began loading the shotgun. Once the loaded his last shell, he let the bolt go----BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM! He said it scared the dog sh** out of him. Obviously, this shotgun was stored with the sear spring fully engaged. Actually, I think a full-auto shotgun would be kinda neat--as long as you're ready for it!

[This message has been edited by Bulldog (edited March 10, 1999).]

My turn, I guess. I have had two that come to mind. One was my fault and the other was the fault of the gun. One the first one, I was coming back to hunting camp after a long day in the rain in Western Washington. My rifle was one of my Dad's custom 1903 Springfields with a Bueller safety and a Canjar trigger. Well, the safety was a little stiff so I braced my trigger finger on what I thought was the trigger guard for leverage. BOOM!!! Right. NOT the trigger guard. More like a three pound Timney match trigger. The rifle was pointed in a safe direction and no one was hurt. Funny, though; the guy that was hunting with us suddenly remembered urgent business back in town...

The second incident involves a used 1911 I picked up at a gun show for a real good price (yeah, right...). Anyway, on my first trip to the range with my new aquisition, I was facing downrange with the pistol at "low-ready" and thumbed off the safety. BOOM!!! I round of Federal Hydra-Shock impacted the sand less than 6 inches from my left foot. No, my finger WAS NOT on the trigger. (Yes, I do occasionally learn from past mistakes...). That pistol and I soon parted company AFTER the hammer and sear were replaced. Never did trust it again after that.

Mossyrock

My Gramps had what I consider to be an "AD". Here is the story:

He cleaned his Ruger 44mag and his Desert Eagle 44mag out in his back yard.

He reloaded them to put back in place as home-defensive guns.

He was wearing the Desert Eagle in a shoulder holster and was holding the Ruger revolver in his hand, in it's holster.

He was walking up the steps into his home when the Ruger slipped out of his hand and landed on the hammer. The Ruger 44mag discharged directly at his ribcage.

The 44 magnum bullet hit his Desert Eagle that was in his shoulder holster!

The Desert Eagle's frame was bent and the gun was destroyed.

Gramps had a big bruise, but he was fortunate to be alive.

He replaced the 44 mag Desert Eagle with a 50AE.

The End.

Hey, Ankeny, I've got a LEO v cat story for you.

This happened some time back as the LEO got to keep his job, which I don't think would happen today. Anyway the Sheriff's Deputy was on patrol out in the country when he spied a cat sitting on a porch. This Deputy hated cats, I mean he HATED cats. After looking around he saw that he would have a clear shot at the cat and there was nothing behind it that he would hurt if he missed.
He drew his revolver and blasted the cat, and then drove off.
The next day he was called into the Sheriff's office to have a little talk. There was the Shreiff and another man. The Sheriff asked about him shooting the cat, which was kind'a hard for him to deny since they had the car number of the officer involved. After getting his A** chewed out he found that he was not as observant as he thought since the othr man in the office was the cat's owner and he had been sitting on the porch when the cat met its demise. His comment was something like, "That was my favorite cat but I don't want the officer fired because we might need somebody that can shoot that well."

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

Here's another one, but not an accidental dicharge. (Thank God!) This is the wrong ammo in a rifle. When I go to the range, I usually take a few rifles of the same or various calibers. This day I had two of my favorites, 98 Mausers, one in 7mm and the other rebarreled to .308.
Somehow (DUH!) a 308 cartridge got in with the 7mms. After firing each round,(my own reloads) I always examine the case, looking especially at the primer for signs of high pressure. Everything seemed normal as I opened the bolt and removed the case, nope, no high pressure sign, but wait, what's this, why is the neck only about an 1/16th inch, you guessed it. that's what happens when you fire a 308 in a 7mm chamber. this was an old Brazilian Mauser that had a bore probably closer to .308 diameter than .284. Also, the super strong Mauser action took the shock in stride. One thing for sure, that barrel was never so clean.

Okay here's one that hurts to tell.
1977 I've been home from Germany about 3 months. A "Friend" from Highschool is over at the house.

I'm in the kitchen when I hear him say something like, "Is this Your Pistol?" I walk into the room and see him with my Ruger Standard Auto in his hand. "Yes" I say, " and it's Loaded so be careful!"
"No it's not." He says with a smile. He then holds up the loaded magazine, while Deftly shooting me in the upper right leg, with the other hand.

I knew I was shot. And I knew I needed to go to the hospital to be checked out, not that I was going to die but to insure the bullet had all exited. But I didn't think of it until I had Kicked my Ex-Friend out of the house. I had to walk to the neighbors to get a ride.

I've got a couple. Their funnier than my ND (no one was hurt), so I'll tell them even though they didn't happen to me.
Story 1.
A friend of mine was much more into IPSC shooting than I was. He went to a fairly major match with both a .45acp and .38super M1911s. They looked nearly identical. Anyway, he went to the line, inserted a magazine, retracted and released the slide, safety on, and then holstered. A round drops to the ground...Puzzled expression appears. He did it again. And again. Finally figured out he was loading .38super into a .45 chamber and the entire round was sliding down the barrel when the muzzle pointed down.

Story 2.
At least once, the range officer at the San Diego PD range pulled a real boner. One officer had problems with his cylinder binding. So Mr. Range Officer unloads the SW model 10, and holds in front of his face with the muzzle pressed into one palm and the other squeezing the trigger while he watches the cylinder gap, etc. Click, Click, BANG!
For a while there, someone posted a target with a single hole in the bullseye and a silhouette of a hand over the hole.

Third and final story:
A Marine captain in San Diego used to carry a little .25acp pistol in his hip pocket when it seemed appropriate. He and his wife were going to go camping for the weekend and he had it in his pocket when he jumped into the cab of the motorhome and plopped down. BANG!
The bullet blew through one cheek, jumped the gap and perforated the other. His wife took pictures of him in the Dr's office with his butt up in the air getting the holes swabbed out.

------------------
Dorsai
Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal
weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the
monarch of all he surveys.
-- Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Fortunately, my ADs have only hurt eardrums. Pointing guns away from valuables and people is a built-in reflex, I guess, separate from other brain-fade.

"It didn't happen to me": An aspiring IPSC-type was home practicing, using the TV talking heads for targets. "Front sight, press! Click. Take that, Dan Rather!" He had dutifully ensured no round in the chamber, but, typically, had the loaded magazine in place...

Comes a knock at the door. Rack a round in, open door, see friend, visit with friend. Friend goes away. Back to practice...

Draw! Front sight! Press! BOOM! Take that, picture tube! Hmmm. Still have sound. Well, in for a penny, in for a pound. Draw! Front sight! Press! BOOM! Take that, speaker.

Buy new TV. Make up story for wife...

Moral: Don't waste practice opportunities...

Raymond,
A high school friend of mine was shot with a Colt Woodsman just as you described. He
wasn’t so lucky. It hit his spine and he has been a paraplegic his entire adult life. Glad you’re ok.
--------

Tabing, this one’s for you:

Dateline; New Braunfels, Texas, March 6, 1999 (Yep, last Saturday...)

After hours of lectures, including many rules of firearms safety, courtesy, and etiquette,and dire threats for transgressors of same, CHL candidates take to the firing range for proficiency training and evaluation.

One student, a former Marine, did not have a firearm. I let him use “Old Ugly” (my 1911
.45) for the day. He said he was familiar with the “piece” and showed me he remembered
enough to operate it safely.

He bought 50 rounds of ammo and, at the proper time, loaded the magazine and the
weapon.

“The first string of fire is a ONE SHOT exercise.” We proclaimed loudly. At the
command FIRE, everyone fired. At the next command to fire, the Old Ugly wouldn’t fire.

The Marine (once a Marine, always a Marine, Semper Fi) tried to clear the gun but the
empty round was still in the chamber. After a little “jiggling”, it fell out.
“Take your alibi.” Bang. No problem there, but the empty again would not eject. He
“jiggles” out that round and at the next command, Bang. But, for the third time, the
empty would not eject.

‘This weapon has a broken ejector,” says the expert (not me). After putting all students at “Stand Easy” (weapon in box), I take back Old Ugly, upset that my .45 is broken. The
gun was cleared (slide back), but there were two rounds in the magazine. I “thumbed”
them into his hand, noting absent-mindedly that they were blunt-nosed bullets and
wondering if that caused the problem.

The Marine was given a Smith & Wesson 4506 (darned fine gun). He loads it and releases
the slide. The entire cartridge flies out the muzzle. He had been shooting .40s in the .45!

(short pause while I am again sick.....)

Here beside the computer, as I type this, are three .40-.45 cases. The base is still .40 but the front half is .45! One of them has four hairline splits in the .45 part.

How many people screwed up?
1) The range sells reloads from a well-known, highly-regarded, local, commercial
reloading company which is highly insured. This in itself may be a mistake.
2) The reloading company does not label its reloads. They come in unmarked plastic
bags. That IS a mistake!
3) The person who stocks the ammo did not check what he was stocking.
4) The person who sold the ammo did not ensure it was .45, as asked for.
5) The instructor for the Marine didn’t check to see each shooter had correct ammo.
(NONE of us have in the past - ALL of us WILL in the future.)
6) The Marine, a skilled shooter who simply wasn’t thinking, didn’t check his ammo/gun.
7) Hurrying on the line, where safety should take precedence, permitted this stupid error
by the shooter and the instructor helping him (the “other guy”).
8) I screwed up by thumbing the rounds from the magazine into the shooter’s hand and I
did not check the ammo - even when it seemed “different” somehow!
9) We all screwed up by letting a malfunctioning firearm continue in use on the line.

Nobody was hurt. Everybody was embarrassed. And I was literally sick to my stomach.
All I could think of was:
a) A too-small .40 sliding down the barrel and NOT falling out.
b) The shooter, seeing no chambered round, racks the slide and shoots.
c) The resultant Ka-Boom takes both hands of the shooter and injures students on both
sides of him. (I’m feeling sick again.)

After all the students left, “we” had a little discussion about this incident. I’ll just betcha this does NOT happen again on MY shift!

(Okay. I’m sitting down. My tray table is in the upright position and my seatbelt is
fastened. Flames ON!)

No ND, but I'll tell one on another guy I know. He was carrying a Beretta 92 under a bulky sweater at a social event. Lots of people in a big room with a tile floor, you know the type. In the midst of a heated conversation, the base plate of his non-PC hi-cap magazine decided to relieve itself and drop 15 rounds of JHPs on to the floor, which proceeded to make a loud bng-aaa-bng-aa-bng-a-bng-bng-bng-bng... and scatter in every direction. Needless to say ALL conversation stopped and he was the immediate center of attention. Upon asking him what he did, he replid that he did the only thing he could do "pick them up and haul a__"! :)

-SCatt

My ND was with a Smith and Wesson 6906, myself and a few buddys were out shooting and as I reloaded, I must have still had my finger on the trigger when I hit the slide stop, and BOOM, I almost had to clean my shorts. All I can say is thank the big guy above for muzzle control!!!!

---snoman---

Kodiac,

Are you from Kodiak? We may be neighbors. My single dumbest experience was with a Rossi slide action .22. The damned thing kept jamming and I was working on it, trying to adjust the little carriage deal that lifted the round to the chamber. I was using live rounds to cycle the action and the stupid thing went off as I jacked one into the chamber.
Two lessons: 1. Never use live rounds to test a guns action and 2. Never buy cheap South American firearms.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and bear maulings page: http://members.xoom.com/keithrogan

[This message has been edited by Keith Rogan (edited March 12, 1999).]

Just thought of another ND/AD: Not mine tho. The current Chief of my first department got the village to issue Glock 17's. He, working in plain clothes, decided that a holster was not needed. Anyway, he was carrying "Mex" and on his way to the men's room or someplace when his fiddling with the pistol or adjusting in in his belt caused it to fire. The resulting shot removed a portion of cheek and caused a burn of the same area due to the muzzle flash. :) The reason for the smile follows- - - - -
(He had been told SEVERAL times that such carry was un-safe.)

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited March 12, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited March 12, 1999).]

I am very sad and embarrassed, but I have more than one story, although none in the past twenty years. Letting down hammers without due care resulted in a load of buckshot going in to my bedroom from my living room once. Concrete block walls kept the damage to a minimum. The only of my stories where an injury occurred was when a high school acquaintance let the hammer slip on a Winchester pump .22, and shot me in the foot with a Short. No permanent dmage, but it reaaly hurt for a day or two. I've also had two AD's with revolvers, both trying to get a badly done reload out of the gun, one high primer, one poorly sized round. The second time was after I was married, and there were no handguns in the house for a few months after that!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back