Family Heirloom....or new gun....???

Great topic. I inherited many of my grandpa's guns. All small caliber poor man stuff with no real $ value at all. I've hauled them around the country for the last 30 years and have started to curse the burden. I can't get rid of them but my kids don't want them and I don't use them for anything but safe stuffers.

I can't get rid of them but my kids don't want them and I don't use them for anything but safe stuffers.

Depending on the type of guns, maybe they can be donated to some youth shooting organization? Pay it forward in some way.

It is a family heirloom that you seem to regret having because of bad experiences with it in the past. If my thinking is correct, then pass it along to another family member who might appreciate it and go buy what you want.
+1
I'd say this it the best choice, just make sure who ever gets the gun knows the rules.. keep it stock, take care of it, keep it in the family.

If this is not an option, Then the next best option would be to buy another gun, keep this one stock, shoot it on special occasions.

Last option would be to get a different stock so you can shoot the gun, but keep the parts so you can revert back later, changing the stock is not a radical modification.. it should be completely reversible.
Ideally you would keep it as it is, but if that's not an option I don't think it's TOO big a deal.. after all it's your gun now.. and it's still a family heirloom.

Imagine you take it hunting and it gets a scratch, so what? it just says Wildernesshunter owned and used it, look at it as a enhancement of it's family history.
You'd have to look at any modifications in the same light. and what you're purposing is not going to damage the gun.

I would say keep the rifle original and in the family and buy a new one that you like for your purposes. My grandpa has a Remington 760 in '06 and even though I probably wouldn't shoot it much it still would mean a lot to me to have it. I know that I would not alter a thing on that gun if I ever got it. Just my .02

I inherited my Dad's Stevens 22 rifle but sold it because a scope could not be mounted. It was not a tough decision because the rifle had no special meaning to me. It was after all, just a rifle.

My .308 carbine bothered me with muzzle jump every time it was fired. So I sent it to Magna-Port in Michigan. They formed four small slots near the muzzle which has eliminated muzzle jump for me. Cost was about $135.

Jack

A gun that you do not enjoy shooting and you do not need for hunting or defense has no value as a gun. No big deal. Think of it as a gun only in terms of securing it and think of it as an heirloom. Build, or have built, an appropriate case for it perhaps with a picture or such of your grandpa and display it for the value it holds in sentiment.

Back