Family Heirloom....or new gun....???

What would you do?

What would I do? I can tell you what I did. Been a long shooting career for me much like yourself. I have some hunting rifles like a Remington 7400 chambered in 30-06, a 444 Marlin, a 7mm Rem Magnum and several others including a few old 16 gauge shotguns from my grandfather. At 67 I don't have the shoulder meat I once did and some guns just plain are punishing to shoot. The guns, including a nice Remington 03A3 will remain where they are in the gun safe. Haven't hunted in several years and really have no desire to chase game. My range days are pretty much .308 Winchester and lighter. :)

I really have no reason to sell off any of my guns and while my kids didn't take much to shooting my grand kids show great promise. Currently adding another gun safe so keeping my guns is not a space issue and I don't really need the money so no reason to sell them. Kathy will give them to the grand kids and she can sell the remainder off or whatever trips her trigger. Those rifles gave me a lot of enjoyment and I figure when the party is over they can be passed on.

Ron

I'd keep the rifle and reload bullets for it that don't have so much recoil. That's one of the great things about reloading, you make bullets that suit you. I'm sure you could find a light recoiling load for the rifle that is accurate and will allow you to still enjoy shooting the rifle.

Get a recoil shoulder pad or a slip on kind (even a nice leather one with a thick recoil pad in it). Slip it on when you want to go hunting or have an extended shooting session. Take it off when you get home and put it back in the safe.

There will likely come a time when you'll want the family rifle back, even if only to pull out of the safe and mess with. You can always get another hunting or target rifle but you can't guarantee you can get the family rifle back.

Maybe you can use a rifle you already have for hunting? Like the .243?

Well, I have come full circle.

I thought a year ago the 270 was my Huckleberry.....but then I started to study the 6.5 Grendel and got distracted.

A couple of you on here have brought me back to my senses.....

It will be a 270 Win.

Why?????

If I want low recoil and am satisfied with Grendel ballistics, I just load a 130gr Berger on about 52gr of H4831 (I have a ton of that powder)....and "voila", I have a 2,600fps load with low recoil and deadly out to 300-400 yards.

I will also have the flexibility to..... if the hunt presents itself, to kill bigger things than deer. Load up some 150's with max powder and I'm tossing that rock at 2,800+ fps. Something the Grendel can't do, and a shade better than a 260 or 7mm-08.

So, I have my eye on a Ruger American in 270. What I have read, I am pretty impressed with the gun....but interested in opinions.

As far as bolt action calibers go, I have nothing but admiration for the 30-'06. It would probably be my first choice if I lived in Alaska. But I don't, so I have long ago chosen, and been entirely satisfied with the 270 Winchester. Not at all attracted to the latest plastic innovations, I insist on a traditional model 70 Winchester, in Walnut, of course. But that rifle of your Grandfather's is certainly respectable. Of the latest calibers, the 6.5 Creedmoore has a lot of merits; but I will stick with the 270.

I think part of your problem is the stock. A steel buttplate and too much drop certainly go a long way to creating hurt. I'm thinking if you can find a stock from a Remington 700 BDL that already has a good recoil pad, I think you'd find the kick ain't so bad. I have there M700s, a BDL, Classic, both 30-06's and another Classic in .35 Whelen. My load for the 06's pushes a 180 gr. Hornady SP to very close to 2800 FPS andes, it will get you attention as does the recoil from the Whelen with a 250 gr. bullet pushing 2600 FPS.
One of my good friends has a 721 in 30-06 and that thing does hurt a bit but I'm not all that recoil shy. On my big boomers I use a Past recoil shield, at least from the bench. It gets in the way on a hunt and I never seem to feel the kick or hear the bang when shooting at game.
Paul B.

not realy better than a .260 or a 7mm08, both will toss a 139gr at 2800fps with a high B C along with less recoil. eastbank.

I'd get a new Weaver K-4 and leave it alone.

Want something different? Just have a new stock made.

Now, if there's a hole behind the steel buttplate, you can put in a mercury recoil reducer.

Remington 721...a classic

My old 721 is a 300 H&H. The rifle had already had a pad added. Put a new pad. This rifle has the straight stock. An option at the time with these rifle was a stock with way more drop for using iron sights. More kick there. I go along with leaving your family rifle alone. Modifications can't be undone. There's a bunch of nice entry level rifles that meet your needs. A little shopping is suggested and leave the old 721 alone.

The 'ole 721 will stay as she is..... And I will continue to use her for bigger game, if I can nail down such hunts. For nostalgia, I do want to find an old Weaver K4 or K6 and mount her up.

The news flash is a new gun has been purchased.

I came darn, darn close to buying a Howa MiniAction in 6.5 Grendel, but after playing with ballistic calculators and recoil calculators, I decided the .270 Winchester is about the best choice I could ever make for low recoil and a nice compliment to the "old aught six". And I already have the dies and about 100 pieces of brass.

A Ruger American in 270 Winchester is on the way.

I don't understand why the price was so inexpensive, but I purchased the version with the Copper Mica stock. It was nearly $100 cheaper than the black stock and I don't mind the copper color. I did notice that Ruger doesn't list the Copper Mica as an option on their website any more, so maybe they are just clearance'ing them out.

Joining the 270 will be a Redfield 3-9x40. I did a lot of research and for $154...this scope seemed to be the very best value on the market right now and it is American made and the warranty is second to none.

Here's some good advice that I will follow. 10 ftlbs of recoil would be greatly appreciated and the load below is superior to anything Grendel.

The printed 2009 Hodgdon Annual Reloading Guide has an article in the front on low recoil loads by Ken Kempa.

Using 130gr Barnes TSX 23.6" barrel
1. H4198 37.4gr 2712 fps 2124 ft.lbs. 0.51" group, 42% recoil reduction with 10.4 ft.lbs. of recoil

I have my grandfathers 30-06. I shot 3 bucks with it. Then retired last couple years. I have shot some low pressure hand loads, but even though I never had a bad one, I am reluctant to load to much for it.

I tossed on it, but did put a scope on it. Because I would use it more. For me it is very important rifle.

I debate about putting Timney drop in trigger. I may, I may not. Trigger wouldn't change it to much.

I have also debated about recoil pads. Though I find just putting a sweathshirt and vest on is enough, and probably all I will do.

I don't want to change it to much, but I also want to use it. Meant alot killing a buck with it.

I know you have made your decision, but keep in mind that for hunting, you are really only looking at one or two shots. Use the recoil pad for range trips, but for the hunt, I wouldn't bother, because if you get a shot at game, you probably won't notice the recoil anyway.

I did purchase a recoil pad....and it has made my range experience with all my guns much, much better.

But the Ruger American in .270 Win shot 10 rounds today with impressive accuracy. I am also very pleased with the Redfield 3-9x40. Can't wait to reload for this gun.

Love IT!!!!!!

I'm glad that all worked out for you.
Regarding the ability to tolerate recoil and other feats of endurance including pain tolerance and the willingness to endure hardship in order to accomplish a task; it strikes me that earlier generations must have been tougher than we are today.
Happy hunting with your new 270.

it strikes me that earlier generations must have been tougher than we are today.

Hmmm. I wonder if their expectations of food/housing/life expectancy were just much, much lower than ours.

But overall toughness is relative, I'd like to see one of them persevere to get a favorable resolution on a cable bill when your call to customer service has been routed through at least three third world countries and the hold music is remorselessly Barry Manilow wannabees.

Back