Ever meet someone who would't use the 'the kick'?

Ever noticed that a slight bump against something (table, chair, whatever) is sometimes much more painful than an all-out assault on the jewels.

Worst gobber-shot I ever took was in a high school b-ball game (pickup game no less). I went up for a rebound. I must have been 12-13 feet up because I was flying man :D . Anywho, on the way down, my landing was padded from a fellers shoulder-to-hip region. I slid all the way down. I don't remember much after that. :mad: :o :( :confused: :barf: :eek:

Thanks for the ear,

Stinger

My experience is a little different...

Kicks to the groin hurt... nobody disputes that, but they're not a incapacitating blow. I've known too many guys, myself included, who took a shot to the nuts and stayed right in the fight. Go for the knees and break 'em down.

I'm with ronin and Toadlicker.

It's very hard to land the perfect hit, and even then it's no 100%er (tho probably nothing is). Anyone who's seen a few scrapes has seen such a kick not work. I just made the comment over at BladeForums that most of us fellas got so adept at protecting the jewels while learning to ride "big boys' bikes" that it might be difficult to land a kick on The Boys while we're asleep. All the more so when the intended target is expecting some sort of attack.

Not saying that it's wrong to tryif the opportunity presents itself, of course; I just think there are usually better shots available.

I agree with much of what has been said. I believe in a fight I would go for a groin kick or punch, followed promptly by strikes to the knee, or elbow if faced with a punch or knife thrust, kind of best of both worlds.

A friend of mine was playing Ultimate Frisbee, jumped up, caught the Frisbee, coming down some guy's knee hit his groin. He threw the Frisbee, ran to the endzone, collapsed, got up again, collapsed again, and lay there for a while until he limped into my dorm room asking if Ibuprofen helps when you've been kicked in the nuts. Not incapacitating, but he's a pretty tough guy.

LawDog:

Was that a "triangle choke" (Sankaku-Jime in Judo)? This is often cited as a prime example of a sportive technique that should NOT be used in a real fight - because it puts the mouth of the defender perilously close to the attacker's groin. Also, it is possible (before 2-3 second lights out time) to pick up the attacker and slam him down (neck first).

In Kodokan Judo, as soon as the defender is able to pick up the attacker, the bout restarts. Recently in a UFC match, Matt Hughes (I think) was being triangular choked by Carlos Newton and was about to lights out when he mustered the last second strength, picked Newton up and slammed him down as he was being passed out. Both were out, but Hughes recovered first and got up, winning the match.

BTW, did anyone see an episode of "King of the Hill" when Bobby learns "women's self-defense," goes around kicking everyone in the groin and becomes the school bully? The principal's reaction to Hank was classic: "now Hank, you can't just have your son going around kicking everyone in the nuts!"

Skorzeny

"You mean...you and I will lay down our weapons and then try to kill eachother like civilized people?"

---Westley to Fessik, in The Princess Bride (1987)

Skorzeny, sort of, except he didn't have my arm up and the choke locked around my neck and arm for a proper sankaku-jime. He had his legs wrapped around only my neck -- which made it rather easier to lay a fang or eight into his thigh. :D

His look of total shock that I would stoop to biting in a fight was priceless.

Well, it was up until he caught those elbow shots into the temple and jaw hinge. :D

LawDog

if I'm in a fight it's because the guy wants to kill me so bad that I can't talk my way out of it, I'll even take a punch without hitting back if I deflect it enough to not do any damage. that said, I have no problem biting or going for the groin, I've got really sharp teeth and it wouldn't be difficult for me to take a chunk out of someone. most of the fights I've been in though were stopped when I told the guy that he hits like a little girl and should go practice if he wants to fight me that bad.

The groin area is probably the hardest target to hit on a man. We are taught to protect it from birth. You should set a higher priority on other things, but if the opportunity presents itself...let 'em have it.

The kick (or crush grip if necessary) is always appropriate in a real fight where the point is to survive. In practice/play fighting, it's not appropriate unless you really want to win at all costs. I've done the latter and apologized profusely afterwards (although my father learned to never put me in a headlock again).

One thing that folks don't expect is for you to reach down and grab 'em. Not necessarily fun, but it works really well, and allows you to suddenly have their undivided attention.

I saw a plainclothes cop use an interesting techique once. He slammed his open palm into this guy's groin, grabbed, twisted, and pulled straight up. Simultaneously with his other hand, he struck the guy in the throat with the web of his hand and grabbed. Both the strikes were rather light as was the grip on the guy's throat. What really had the mojo on it was the grab, twist and straight up pull on the nads. The guy jumped about two feet in the air, the cop assisted his flight, twirled him head over heels and slammed him into the sidewalk. End of fight.

I've been in a fair number of fights. No one's managed to nail me in the groin since childhood. I assume that others can protect themselves also. Therefore, I go for other targets.

Levi's (or similar) with a snug, but not super tight, fit, will do a fair job of absorbing a kick or a grab. Especially if the legs are spread. This will stretch the material, causing it to act like a shock absorber. (If it's too loose it won't do that.)

In that situation a kick is a wasted move at best, and an opening for the other guy at worst.

BTDT.

I guess I had around 200 Uses of Force during the 20 years I worked in some of Md's toughest prisons.

A coupla things....

First, during the worst of times, I wore an armored supporter along with a Second Chance vest.
The vest saved me from a sucker punch during a major disturbance. I responded properly and $%^&*( up the perp.

As for the groin,kicking same leaves one close to toppling over, since it's so high off the ground.
A knee's a much better target.

As for rules of engagement, there are but two.

1, WIN!!!

2, Always follow Rule 1....

Lawdog,

It sounds like he tried to use techniques beyond his skill or training, and you capitalized well on his mistakes.

As you know, your opponent made several errors....working the guard in a bar fight would be high on the list...but also he should have never locked in the triangle without the arm in the proper place (to do so means that it is not really a triangle choke and the person can not only bite but counter/pass to the side mount as well, and it is difficult to choke him out that way unless he allows it). If done correctly- If your own arm had been pulled across your throat and locked in, its very difficult to bite anything since your own arm is in the way. If a person in your triangle starts to bite, and is able to, which in my experience people can't effectively, you can always change a triangle into an arm lock since you have the arm. If due to some major error on my part, someone in my triangle bit down and locked his teeth, I would typically instantly use my thumb to to push into his eyeball until he released, which he would quickly. The force of my push would depend on if I was injured by his bite and to what extent. Of course, to avoid his triangle attempt in the first place, you have to keep your back straight.

p.s. changing the triangle to an arm bar has the added benefit that if he wants to keep biting as his arm is breaking, the only thing that he will be able to bite is your ass.

"...only thing he will be able to bite is your ass."

Don't know thing one about grappling, but that reminded of an incident w/a guy who was drunk, had a short man complex, and could box a little.

Kept pushing it, wanting to slap fight, even though I was begging off- dancing around, "ding!" "ding!" "ding!"

Grabbed him, picked him up to my face level, ass in my face...latched on *hard*.

Like some other poster said, the look on his face after I dropped him was priceless.

lol. great story four...but in general, if getting bit stops a person, they weren't much of a fighter. I've seen a lot of bites, and felt a few, but I've never seen a good fighter quit after one.

I have to say, the ass is the one place where I'd rather take a bite than give it.

Back