Ever get kicked out of a CCW class?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you take a class with no more information going in than the name of the subject, you're apt to be disappointed. A directed five minute conversation with the instructor prior to the class asking about background, qualifications and attitudes might save you irritation and wasted time.

I fantasize about teaching such a class myself. I can hear an eager young shooter asking me about double action revolvers, and I answer, "You should learn them . . . . seventeen or eighteen years after you've started with the single action. For a young fellow to go into them too soon would be worse than putting water in his whiskey."

Another asks, "How about 1911's?"

I answer, "Ten years after the double actions."

One more asks, "What about Glocks, Siggs, and Berettas?"

I answer, "Never heard of the first two, had a great-uncle who took a Beretta off a Japanese Officer as a war trophy. Don't know anyone who actually tried to hit anything with one of them."

Then a young lady in the back row raises her hand and says, "Sir, I think you are trying to teach attitudes that went out of fashion before any of us were born."

That's when I realize that the world may have changed without my noticing, while I was off wandering the hills and reading musty tombs, and that I don't have much that these young students need.

After an overnight sleep, I can see where he should have kept the person in class and brought up SA use and stressed the importance of the first shot.
In my own exeriences, most situations developed and finished within 10 feet. Some within arms reach! A rare few at 20 feet. One incident was at 25 yards and the perp was behind a tree spraying bullets. I took cover behind my truck and because there were people downrange, I never even fired a shot. He emptied his mag, realized I was aiming at him and took off running. No need to shoot then either, so I went on to work.
The only time I consider needing and planning on lots of shots is when I'm carrying a TCP or PT22. I do carry them sometimes and feel that if i need one shot, I'd better empty the first mag since I'm reasonably sure it won't end with a single shot.

I don't really have a problem with somebody wanting to carry a single action for self defense. That said, I don't believe they are appropriate in a class tailored for modern handguns. Others have already mentioned the slow reloading which holds up the entire class. There is also the issue of somebody of unknown skill level having to manually thumb the hammer down on a live round between strings of fire, and the fact that some models are dangerous when the hammer is resting on a live round.

Kind of like a student showing up for an AR class with a lever action rifle.
I did that once, just to make a point about ammo commonality. I showed up at a patrol rifle class with a lever, specifically a Marlin 1894. The instructor smiled, and said "Okay, but you've gotta keep up."

The only thing I couldn't do were the mandatory mag changes, but I had to be really cognizant of round counts and had to be pretty adept at shoving cartridges through the loading gate. At the end of the day I had qualified with the little carbine, much to the amusement of everyone concerned.

One year I showed up at the same course with a pump rifle, a Remington 760 in .30-06. Again the instructor smiled and said "What the hell, go for it." That turned into a debacle. The Remington 760 isn't designed for 'slam and go' mag changes, the 10 round magazines at the time were not very durable, and about halfway through the course, I cleared the rifle and walked back to the bleachers through gales of laughter. I have to admit that it was a pretty funny sight.

Bottom line? The instructor was polite and refunded the money. There are many reasons for the instructor's opinion and action, as have been touched upon in some of the posts above.

Beyond that, this is just speculation and venting.

Enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back