Ever get grief over NFA weapons?

Its around 800 FPS .The .45 ACP is the only factory ammo. that qualifies

As RAnb mentioned earlier, the speed of sound is the rate of travel of a sound wave through an elastic medium. In dry air at 20 °C (68 °F), the speed of sound is 1125 ft/s. Or about 768mph.

There are quite a few factory cartridges that qualify as "subsonic."

Yeah, I guess you can say Canada allows guns. Not handguns though, that's for sure. Canada and the US worked hand in hand during the prohibition so it doesn't surprise me that they would have passed similar laws.

Canada allows handguns. Barrel must be over 105mm (~4.1 inches), but we allow handguns.

A friend of mine and I both got our first NFA items a month or two apart. He got a .22 suppressor, and I got a .223 suppressor. The only grief either of us has experienced was actually from our wives. And no, it wasn't over the price. My budy's wife is very, very innocent minded, but we still love her. She is one of those ones that after watching the news just says how she can't believe they can get away with making up those stories because nobody could do all those mean things to each other in "real" life ( like the war in Iraq). Anyhow his wife acted strange for a week or two until she finally broke down into tears and talked to him. She thought that because he had a suppressor he was going to kill her and both their kids in the middle of the night:rolleyes:. My budy and I got a real good laugh out of it. I figured my wife would think it was funny too, until she told me she thought the exact same thing:eek:. Oh well, a few years and a few more NFA items down the road, we all have a good laugh about it all.

The shop I picked up my little Walther yesterday had a customer in it that commented to me "why do people need THOSE type of guns". Pointing at the collecting of ARs, AKs and tactical shotguns.
I said, 50 bucks says you would not have said that if they all had wood stocks instead of black stocks.

question

I have a question for those here with fairly extensive NFA/ATF/BATFE know-how.

I have a suppressor that was purchased legally in NC. Pretty soon I will be relocating to Minnesota and it looks like suppressors are illegal there. Where does that leave me? Am I going to be mandated to get rid of it?? It has become my favorite toy and I really really don't want to give it back to a C3 dealer :(

Appreciate your help in advance.

v/r

kyso

The only reason he talked to me for the ten minutes was he liked the way I modified the ar-15 upper, I ended up doing the same setup for him a couple weeks later so he turned into a customer.

Sweet

I have a suppressor that was purchased legally in NC. Pretty soon I will be relocating to Minnesota and it looks like suppressors are illegal there. Where does that leave me? Am I going to be mandated to get rid of it?? It has become my favorite toy and I really really don't want to give it back to a C3 dealer

You may store the suppressor with family/friend or place it into public storage in NC. If left with someone, it must be left in a container they cannot open (only you have key), you must notify ATF where it is stored and you will need to leave a copy of your paperwork with them.

I can't believe all you people with all that "NFA" stuff. FOR SHAME!!! Makes me jelous!!:) Next month I am going to venture into the NFA relm with a SBR. This will be my first NFA gun but hopefully not the last. I have to say, I don't think people need this kind of stuff either. Thats what makes it all the more fun. How fun is it to buy gas for your car to get to work? How fun is it to buy grocieries? How fun is it to pay the electric bill? All necessities. How fun is it to watch the game on your new flat screen tv? How fun is it to surprise the kids with a trip to Chucky Cheese or some such place and watch them lose their minds? How fun is it to bring home that rifle or pistol or supressor or MG that you've been wanting? All unnecessary.

Marshall

As RAnb mentioned earlier, the speed of sound is the rate of travel of a sound wave through an elastic medium. In dry air at 20 °C (68 °F), the speed of sound is 1125 ft/s. Or about 768mph.

You're still leaving out what altitude you're measuring at...

The speed of sound in air is not directly affected by altitude. Temperature alone is enough to determine the speed of sound very closely. For a little more accuracy, you can include humidity as well.

The speed of sound in air may decrease with an increase in altitude, but if it does, it's a side effect of the decreased temperature (if any), not the altitude.

The speed of sound at 50 °F in Denver is the same as the speed of sound at 50 °F in Malibu or Pensacola.

Last I checked, it was perfectly legal to keep a firearm in the house in Minnesota.

Most guns. It is a felony to merely possess some guns in MN. Minnesota is not on the short list of gun friendly states in the USA.

Ranb

I don't know any country that allows guns that makes suppressors illegal except us.

At the federal level silencers are not illegal, just strictly controlled. In fact ATF approval to make or buy a silencer is practially a rubber stamp for anyone living in one of the 37 states that allow them. I have never heard of anyone being denied approval as long as the forms were filled out correctly.

Ranb

TiRant .45acp from AAC. Full size, not military shorty.

I am not exaggerating - we're talking HOLLYWOOD quiet for a .45acp. It makes my experience with the Evo45 seem absurdly loud.

http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=178 said:
With a wet charge of 5cc’s of water, the sound signature drops to 125 dB.

That's six dB quieter than the Evo45. That's.... really quiet. 41dB reduction with 5cc water.

Reading your Knowledge

Just wanted to say...

Thank You,

I will keep reading since I am still in the "saving" process of my NFA items!

Mike

Back