Evaluating gun and loads.

For the bags I think I'll just buy the right ones and the range I shoot we do already have wind flags set out at 50/100 and at the bottom of the berm. Same on the 200/300yd range.

Now I need to make more 223.

I have 2 sets of nice Protektor bags but I still have a home made squeeze bag made from a sock. For some rifles it just works better plus it stores good in my range bag just in case I forget to toss one of the store boughts in the truck.

Old saying among benchresters. 4 flags are not enough and 5 are too many. Plus I bet your range flags are way higher than your targets. Go to a short range benchrest match sometime. Every competitor will have their own set of flags set slightly below target height and it is not uncommon to see every one blowing in a different direction at the same time. No offense meant but you have no idea how complex a hobby precision rifle is yet

"No offense meant but you have no idea how complex a hobby precision rifle is yet"

I think the past 6 months have given me a good glimpse with the bits I have talked with the shooters that are coming in regularly two to three times a week. Also smart enough to know and admit I am so new to this that I don't even qualify as a novice!

I do appreciate you continuing this conversation with me I hope I'm asking the right questions and explaining clearly enough my thoughts.

Currant goals are to establish a good working load to practice with, get to 1moa at 100yards, learn more about bottleneck reloading, learn more about quality optics.

Something else I just noticed while looking over these targets again and that is that all the shot fired with the factory loads are directly above center of the bullseye and all the shots from my reloads are all below and very slightly right of the bullseye.

All shots were fired with a steady fix on center and no adjustment to the scope.
I've seen this happen shooting a 5 shot group, reloading 5 more, then shooting them. The shooter's holding the rifle different for the second group.

Just to clarify this has been the same from 3 different firings.

3 different firings on 2 separate sessions of the factory ammo represented by 30 shots all just above the bullseye. The a total of 100 reloads shot at two separate sessions all placed below the bullseye.

I'm thinking it's a FPS related issue.

Back