Ethics of Squirrel Hunting

I doubt that a squirrel is any more related to a rat, than you are to a monkey. You can call them a tree rat if you like, but rats they are not. In my world, squirrels are good guys, rats are bad guys. I don't shoot squirrels or songbirds either. If squirrels become a bonafide pest, it's fine to take some action on the problem. If you are hunting them for food where they are not endangered, fine. But to me, they are marvelous creatures with some admirable traits. I like to have wildlife in the proximity of where I live. They are just trying to make their way in a world of shrinking habitat. Ask yourself, why do you want to kill it? Perhaps you have a valid reason. But to go out and kill perfectly good wildlife with no intention of eating it, is disrespectful, ignorant, and dishonorable. Go shoot some tin cans.

I have killed and not eaten animals many times, the animals were a nuisance.

I likely would have killed far fewer skunks if I felt I needed to clean and eat everything I have killed and never trapped rats or mice.

Of course, not all situations are equal. There may be circumstances.... I quit shooting with the neighborhood boys that wanted to just, "....go blast some tweety-birds." It just didn't feel right. But when I shot pigeons that were laying waste to our fruit trees, no problem; plus I ate the pigeons.

FWIW I haven't eaten squirrels in a number of years and also don't shoot them unless they are trying to get into the attic.

I actually enjoy "feeding" them, fun to watch.

They actually line up to eat.

I've long pondered the apparent disparity in opinion on the ethics of killing one animal over another.
It all has to do with where they fall in sociozoologic scale from society to society. we think of horses as majestic, work animals, pets, serene, in east europe they're viewed the same way as cows and pigs. an eagle and a pheasant are both wild birds but only one is considered edible. some animals are pests, some are helpful, some are pets, some are food, it all varies from society to society, from person to person, from animal to animal. you can't compare one persons morals to another, Ethics only really translates from society to individual, not person to person.

I guess a lot has to do with age. If you made it to your mid twenties and still do things like that, you will probably never grow up. I don't doubt this guy likes to brag about how many he shoots.

My view points on squirrels are affected by my close association with them over many years. I make my living climbing trees. I'm sure it would sound silly to some here, but I consider Squirrels to be somewhat of a kindred creature to me. We are both tree creatures. I have a respect for them and protect them whenever I can. I have befriended them and rehabilitated their orphans. They are clever and creative creatures, capable of bonding with a human as closely as a cat or dog.

Well there are circumstances to everything. But your friend just walking through the woods just blasting squirrels in the countryside not bothering anything, and just leaving them is very unethical and would be frowned upon by most where i'm from.

If they were pests and bothering or damaging something then I could understand.

Every squirrel I have ever killed has got cleaned and eaten.

There are many, many ways to prepare it. Traditional gumbos, stews, fritters, and gravies are all great traditional rural cuisine. I don't really recommend boiling them unless you are doing so in a stew, soup, or gumbo. But if you must do a simple boil then don't just use plain water like everyone else, that sucks flavor out of the meat and just infuses itself in the water which is not good unless you are making a stock or a consomme', thats why people always throw away meats used in making stocks. So if you do boil them make sure you use chicken stock, spices, and a good mirepoix for your poaching broth. This will get the meat very tender and juicy but the texture will be floppy and not very desirable of a texture, as there is no contrast within the texture, as well as less flavorful. Thats what happens when you boil most proteins.

My all time favorite way to fix it though is just a good, simple, basic confit. The best oil to use for your confit is obviously the traditional duck fat, but CLARIFIED butter and peanut oil are great to. But you can use any oil that has a minimum smoke point of 350 degrees as your confit will be cooking at 300 or 325 degrees. Also the best confits are done in the oven and not on the stovetop. And make sure you throw in a sachet of at least fresh thyme and some other fresh spices if you want to. And this is by far my favorite way to eat squirrel.

But there are many many many ways to cook it and if you would like some gourmet recipes to fix for you or your "foie gras" loving friends then just let me know and I will supply you with many upscale and very gourmet recipes for them.

It all has to do with where they fall in sociozoologic scale from society to society. we think of horses as majestic, work animals, pets, serene, in east europe they're viewed the same way as cows and pigs. an eagle and a pheasant are both wild birds but only one is considered edible. some animals are pests, some are helpful, some are pets, some are food, it all varies from society to society, from person to person, from animal to animal. you can't compare one persons morals to another, Ethics only really translates from society to individual, not person to person.

Whilst I disagree with the last statement as I believe, first and foremost, that your ethics stem from your family upbringing and not just society as a whole the examples given may well explain why we may be more comfortable with killing one animal over another, but in my view there should always be a valid reason for killing it.

I don't see recreation, as seemed to be the case for the OP's coworker, as a valid reason for killing something.

Some may kill pests and not eat the resulting meat: eg rats as possibly the most derided of creatures and very much seen as pests. That fact is as much an indictment of us as dirty animals ourselves (which we are) as it is them as invaders of our spaces.
After all, the only thing a rat has done wrong is to evolve with a robust immune system, decent intelligence and a high degree of adaptability.

If I have a rat problem, I will try to eliminate the attraction (unsecured food) and any points of ingress that I can find. I may have to set a trap if the rats are persistently getting in from my failing in one of the previous tactics.

What I am not going to do is shoot any rat I see no matter where it is, just for the kicks.

Last edited:
What about shooting squirrels as pest control? My sister has a bunch of mango trees and the squirrels take a few bites and leave the mango.

My parents have an iguana problem. They are tearing up their garden and attacking their fruit trees. Iguanas are an invasive species and South Florida. I bought a .25 caliber air rifle to take out the bigger ones humanely, but retrieval is not always possible. My youngest sister did cook a few of them though.

It was the information given by those most likely to respond and make a decision on charges if there is a complaint. I believe the point being throwing the animal away makes it clear the purpose is to rid a pest and not "hunt". I can tell you in my experience ODNR really does not seem at all interested in dealing with city squirrels or rabbits instead pushing that off on local police.

I'll agree on both counts that city police, and the ODNR (Ohio Dept of Natural Resources aka game warden) would not have a lot of interest in discreet removal of nuisance city squirrels even though it's technically unlawful with a depredation permit. I do not believe that either would advise you that they must be thrown in the trash, and that doing so insulates your from being charged with state game violations, and city non-hunting/trapping ordinances. Maybe an extremely ignorant city police officer, but certainly not a state game warden. There is exception in Ohio game laws for "ridding a pest", so throwing them away as evidence you are "not hunting" serves no purpose.

My town is overpopulated with nuisance city squirrels as well, but they tend to be well fed from bird feeders, and thus more tasty than your average woods, nut eating variety, so I would not advise anybody to throw them away out of bad legal advice from a city police officer. You want to throw them out, its your choice, but it serves no legal purpose and will not help you if you get charged, and could add another state charge.

not ethical, not legal

I've shot a lot of "pests" over the years, that I did not eat, groundhogs, coyotes, armadillos, the logic being that they were destructive and that I was doing myself and the landowners a favor by ridding them off the property. I've only met a few people who have eaten any of the above.

I don't see a squirrel in open hardwood tracts as pest and many will attest, they are perfectly edible. And legally, a squirrel is a game animal, and there is a "wanton waste" law here.

My vote, unethical and illegal as well.

I doubt that a squirrel is any more related to a rat, than you are to a monkey.
Close enough to convince me then.

My town is overpopulated with nuisance city squirrels as well, but they tend to be well fed from bird feeders, and thus more tasty than your average woods, nut eating variety,
Right now I have a problem on a rental property where squirrels are getting in the dumpster(located below the walnut tree they inhabit). I put a lock on the lid, which no one liked, and the squirrels ate through the plastic top in a manner of days. The tear up the trash bags and carry all sorts of trash half way back to their tree, eat it, which usually seems to include some packaging, then leave it in the yard. The population has exploded. Ten plus squirrels in the tree. It seems chipmunks and rabbits are doing quite well off of the trash left in the yard also. No idea how many chipmunks, but I believe at least 5 rabbits in this .25 acre yard alone. Probably more in the neighbors yards. I can't imagine any taste good eating my tenants scraps and half the plastic packaging.

Easy shot with a pellet rifle from a window to the dumpster. Rat traps would likely work. Live trap and CO or H2O. What am I doing about it? I try to keep a trash bag handy when I visit the property. I guess when the zombie apocalypse arrives I have a few meals ready.

I met a guy who would take his dog for a walk and shoot a squirrel for the dog to have. I didn't see any problem with that.

Last edited:
i didnt read thru all the posts so maybe this was asked and answered, but have you ever tried squirrel? Its actually quite delightful when prepared right, and if you know the trick to skinning them (cut behind the tail method) they are so easy to clean and prep its funny. I have timed myself and i can literally go from untouched dead squirrel to squirrel quartered up and in a ziploc bag ready to freeze in about 3 minutes. I have read the cook books for a couple of well known wild game chefs and more than one had squirrel as their favorite meat to prepare.

I love squirrel hunting...great way to spend time in the woods alone or with friends, you dont have to worry about being shot by some over zealous hunter and you can go pretty much anytime of day, no treestand to worry with, no dragging an animal out of a ravine to process, i just love it. That said i agree with a lot of prior posters. Its one thing to kill a nuisance critter, one thats getting in your attic, etc but its wrong to shoot what i consider a game animal (gray or fox sguirrel) and just leave it. If you want to just kill things id suggest switching to something like coyote or prarie dog etc....or heck give squirrel a try, you might really enjoy it.

Where I live Co we have tree squirrel (Abert) and we have season/bag limit also need small game license. I don't know anyone that hunts them but I'm sure someone does. The Fox and Pine squirrel also has season/bag limit/small game license.

Below is from Co small game reg.

You must take edible parts of game meat home to eat or provide it for human
consumption. Do not leave wounded wildlife (or pos-sibly wounded wildlife) without attempting to track and kill it. Possession of wildlife is evidence
you hunted. Small-game and migratory bird hunters are not required to wear solid daylight, fluorescent orange clothes. However, CPW encourages you to wear fluorescent orange clothes for safety. You must stop at CPW check stations when told to do so.

Violations of Colorado wildlife laws carry point values. You can face suspension of license privileges for up to five years or more if you ac-
cumulate 20 or more points in five years.

Unless it's a pest and some form of pest control, killing any game animal, large or small, palatable or not, and leaving it to waste is WRONG.

Killing isn't a sport. It's a necessity. If you want to harvest wildlife for sport, take up fishing. At least in fishing, you can release your catch relatively unharmed back into the environment.

In my youth, when I was an active hunter, the few squirrels that I killed were not consumed by me or my family. They were field dressed, brought home and skinned, then boiled down and fed to the family cat. My youthful pickyness kept me from wanting to eat them, but it was still important to me as a responsible hunter to put the meat and fur to use.

A time and place !!!

Yard Squirrels;
I don't hunt them and when there is a problem, I trap them and take them to their new country home. I have killed them and;
I just shoot-shovel and shut-up. .. :rolleyes:

Country Squirrels;
I do hunt them, during the season, definitely cook and eat and as someone already replied, They are delicious, especially the Midwest Grays. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

I grew up eating tree rats. Squirrel dumplings and chicken-fried squirrel mostly. Wish i had somewhere close to hunt them because I would have no problem eating them again.

I think it's a bit wasteful to leave them as they lie, but then again, nothing goes to waste in the wild. Just for sport, I would feel better about hunting chipmunks and leaving them then something as big as a squirrel.

Back