Ethics of Squirrel Hunting

Sadly...it's way too easy to shoot-out a hunter's squirrel woods. On some public huntin' lands, even the chipmunks are shot-out --- Even though both are pesky little critters.

If an animal is considered a nuisance, is it common to just leave the carcass? What about lead poisoning to the local wildlife that consumes a carcass that's been shot?

generally shots on squirrels are pass-throughs. I'm not sure that the clean up crew is going to get that much lead exposure.

At our house when I was a kid, we didn't eat the squirrels we shot (which I've since found out was a mistake; nut-fed squirrels are something else). But we only shot the squirrels at the feeder or ones trying to climb the house. We had one make a nest in the attic once and that was a small disaster.

Likewise, chipmunks got a pass until they started burrowing under the porch and sidewalks, then it was target time.

If you aren't going to eat it,,,
Or otherwise "use" the animal,,,
Killing it for sport is just wanton slaughter.

JMHO

Aarond

If you are sport hunting, I agree.

However, if the tree-rats are pests, and in the varmint category, that's a different matter, to me. And generally a different matter under the law, as well.

as to leaving pest carcasses, well, "buzzards gotta eat, same as worms..." :rolleyes:

Better alternatives

However, if the tree-rats are pests, and in the varmint category, that's a different matter, to me. And generally a different matter under the law, as well.
Don't understand how the Go-To option is; always to kill and trash them. There are other and much better options. ...... :rolleyes:

1) Live traps and relocation to the country. Our city maint folks, Loan them out.

2) Repell them and ever since I figured this one out, my three bird-feeder locations have not been bothered. Whatever the birds flick out of the feeders, the squirrels eat "off" the ground.

Be Safe !!!

The problem with relocation is that city tree rats are usually overpopulated and you do not want to introduce diseases into a naturally isolated ecology... isolated by distance. Unless you're quarantining the rodents for a few weeks and have the veterinary experience to determine that the transported animals are disease free.

This is why it's not okay to "help the dnr" by catching fish in one area and releasing them in another. Don't fool with mother nature. Bad things can happen.

That's also why I would be reluctant to eat a city-living tree rat... propensity for disease among overpopulated.

As for leaving them for crows.. well.. my dog is going to be rolling on the corpse and that's not going to be stinky in the house.

Two many people shoot small game for sport and throw it away. I don’t know how many deer hunters I hear say they don’t eat deer meat, they give it away. I don’t think much of anyone who shoots for sport.
It’s different story if animal is in pest or varmit category. If it’s doing you no harm and you aren’t going to eat it, leave it be. Go to a range and shoot some targets.

Hunting/Killing ethics

The problem with relocation is that city tree rats are usually overpopulated and you do not want to introduce diseases into a naturally isolated ecology.
That is just not so. Contact your states biologist and inquire about "Carrying Capacity". The numbers, are self regulated and predation is another factor. The only disease I have observed, is mange and that is easy to spot. I do put a stop to this, in my yard. My local head count is right at about four. Food and water is consistent and they do fairly well and they don't bother my bird feeders. .... ;)

The only point I tried to make is that as "Killers and Hunts", you can always make up reasons to kill everything that runs, walks or flies, in your back yard. If and when I do shoot a town squirrel it's for a reason and has nothing to do with hunting. I don't leave them lay, just throw them in the trash or bury them.

Be Safe !!!

Back