Enough with "Shottie"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is "prolly" a word? See it a lot, but it's not in an English language dictionary. Is everyone just too lazy to type the whole word or are these "words" actually being used in the English language? I'm guessing "prolly" equates to "probably"?

I despise the whole "shootie" thing. However, if you want to use that slang in any conversation with me, that's your right to do so. Then again, it's also my right to consider you a rank amateur who's experience is limited to video games so don't gripe when you get talked down to like the tool you are aspiring to be!

No, it really doesn't - at least among those of us who took basic English in school. We don't say "pissie" for pistol, or "revo" for revolver or "riffy" for rifle...................

There's nothing that makes us look more immature to those from the anti sides who lurk on boards like these than to sound like you are some 9 year old playing COD

So now we have the paranoid fear to the unknown and mysterious anti lurkers and how we might appear to them based on use of "shottie" and other such terms?

If instruction in basic English is the crux of your argument, then please school us on where in basic English it is said that the use of nicknames or monikers must be avoided won't you. The only such rules that come to mind are those that refer to formal dialogue, but only then when such names have not become conventional. I don't believe TFL requires such high falutin dialogue.

However, I have noticed from some of your posts that while you don't like shottie, you are perfectly fine with shortening the word picture to "pic."
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532706

Or referring to water moccasins as "water mocs" and alligators as "gators."
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5633657#post5633657

Double standard? :rolleyes:

Is "prolly" a word? See it a lot, but it's not in an English language dictionary. Is everyone just too lazy to type the whole word or are these "words" actually being used in the English language?
Oh, don't get me going on proper grammar. Yes, people are lazy. As one who writes, I cringe every time I see "prollie", "shottie", and even "to" instead of "too". (Thank you for properly using "too" above, by the way). But I understand they are not a big deal to others.

we need to also keep in mind that many that post the word 'shottie' in their posts here on TFL are new to the sport and new to TFL and are usually very quickly educated on the dislike of the slang term by other, more seasoned members. Sometimes in an almost rude way. ... I think we need to educate the less seasoned members/shotgunners but be careful not to offend them as we do it.
OK, here is another way we sort of offend ones new to the sport. Acronyms. I mean it's fine if there is a secret decoder ring or a list somewhere they can use to figure out what someone is saying. Although I have been shooting for over 30 years, it took me an hour to find out what DOH meant with respect to holsters, since I am new to buying them. And another time, it took a long time to find out what EDC meant. But now I am so smart about what they mean, I just use them freely here. :D

I think many think it makes them sound like they are well versed when it comes to guns, but it does not, and it purely grates on my nerves.
Agree.

Lou

Is "prolly" a word?

Naaaw(caution...redneck slang)!
But it seemed to fit in the sentence with the rest of the slang.

I'm guessing "prolly" equates to "probably"?

Yep... you guessed it.

It comes down to common vernacular. "Pic" and "gators" are common vernacular; "shottie" is not (yet).

Aw...don't know about that either? Been hearin the word "shottie" off-n-on for pert near 45yrs. now. Actually long before seein or hearin "Pic."

FWIW:
Been hearin 'gator' since I was knee high to a butterfly.

Last edited:
Amen, brother!

I prolly first saw "shotty" on my 'puter a few years ago.

Words such as these make me gag. They sound like kindergarten slang. Nobody in the COMPUTER industry calls them 'puters, except in Tom Clancy novels. Lots of obscene and foul names but not that cutesy one.

Same with "shotty." I grew up with firearms and hunting pheasants and ducks and never heard that term used except by newbies on gun forums. "Shot ty" is two syllables, same as "shot gun". It is one less letter. How is this more handy to use than the proper word except to be cute?

"Prolly" was invented just to be annoying. Stop it. Please.

;)

OK, here is another way we sort of offend ones new to the sport. Acronyms. I mean it's fine if there is a secret decoder ring or a list somewhere they can use to figure out what someone is saying.

Go over to TFL's FAQ page. Scroll down to and click on 'CLOTFLA' (AKA: Camonical List of TFL Acronyms) under the title Web Acronyms/ Firearms Terms.

You will find a lot of help with acronyms there.

Last edited:
While we're venting our pet grammatical usage peeves, I really hate the sign-off "nuff said". And I've never understood why guns are always girls for some (she's-the gun-is a great shooter; never he's).
Nuff said. ;)

Right, "shottie" is common vernacular in the US gun world.

Uh-huh, because those folks bought their first shotgun at walmart where they advertise Mossy Shotties on sale..........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

And Winnies, and Remmys shotties, riffies.etc...."BARF"

Try yet again. Stupid childish slang used by ignorant folks does not help our cause - it really hurts it.

I agree that it's a LITTLE distracting to read that but you guys are all up in a tizzy for nothing. If you don't like it don't click the thread. It too will pass.

As for those of you who believe censoring the word is a good idea do you think then we should also censor the AR platform being called a "black" rifle because it may offend some? Grease gun might bother some...... etc. etc.

Exactly. Personally, I don't see it as a big deal in and of itself. Do we always have to don our smoking jackets and talk in proper English every time? Relax a bit. To me, just about any slang term for a firearm is fine, so long as the rest of the post is intelligent and coherent. If slang dominates your speech, it gets really annoying really quickly, but a term (relatively common one at that) for your favorite projectile-spewing implement isn't something to get up in arms over.

"... shottie = fingernails on chalk board ..."

No. Minty. That is the word that makes me slam my head into any nearby concrete wall.

Hey shortwave, when I saw your name, I first thought of amateur radio, then I thought of military communications. Was I right on either? Both noble pursuits I am or have been a part of.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back