Enough with "Shottie"

Status
Not open for further replies.
PLEASE, PLEASE, do not use the term "Shottie ". Remmie" and "Mossie" are bad enough. but I cringe at "Shottie". A shotgun is not a teddy bear or blanky so let's try to can the baby talk.

TFL's automatically censor certain vulgarities with asterisks. If only they did the same with "*******". Do I have a second to the motion?

I think many think it makes them sound like they are well versed when it comes to guns, but it does not, and it purely grates on my nerves. An L.C. Smith may be called an Elsie, but that's about my limit for cute nicknames.

Yes please censor the slang word S#*$%&# !!!!

There is no excuse for not using proper English, if you want to be a mall ninja then go find a site that caters to you.

While I despise the use of the word "shottie" as well, the fact remains that it is in common usage as a nickname for the platform just like all the other nicknames that are used to commonly refer to guns. As for the shortened proper names, the sames hold as well.

You would have to get rid of wheel gun, smoke pole, boom stick, blaster, slabside, semi, scattergun, along with all the military nicknames like Ma Deuce as well.

While I despise the use of the word "shottie" as well, the fact remains that it is in common usage as a nickname for the platform

No, it really doesn't - at least among those of us who took basic English in school. We don't say "pissie" for pistol, or "revo" for revolver or "riffy" for rifle...................

There's nothing that makes us look more immature to those from the anti sides who lurk on boards like these than to sound like you are some 9 year old playing COD

While I agree for the most part, we need to also keep in mind that many that post the word 'shottie' in their posts here on TFL are new to the sport and new to TFL and are usually very quickly educated on the dislike of the slang term by other, more seasoned members. Sometimes in an almost rude way. Then the 'piling on' usually starts by more members and continues long after the point has been clearly made by the first ten posts.

What a great welcome to TFL, eh? :rolleyes:

I think we need to educate the less seasoned members/shotgunners but be careful not to offend them as we do it. Learning is much more enjoyable that way...and none of us came into this world knowing what we know today. Somebody taught us and most likely in a tactful way.

Last edited:
Yes but no

I agree that it's a LITTLE distracting to read that but you guys are all up in a tizzy for nothing. If you don't like it don't click the thread. It too will pass.

As for those of you who believe censoring the word is a good idea do you think then we should also censor the AR platform being called a "black" rifle because it may offend some? Grease gun might bother some...... etc. etc.

I thought it was "shotty" with a "Y".

I will continue to use the term for video-game shotguns. I have never used it with real ones. ;)

I'll agree that it's a little annoying to hear a shotgun referred to as a "shottie". But I still find it perfectly acceptable to use when calling dibs on the front seat.

Concur.

Whenever I see people use the cutsy slang terms, I always picture some 14 yo wannabe trying way too hard to sound cool & clever. I put it the same category as "Branjolina" or "Ben-jen" or other useless pop culture bastardization of the English language.
It's not as though "shottie" is a huge step forward over "shotgun." Same 2 syllables, only one sounds lame.

We don't say "pissie" for pistol, or "revo" for revolver or "riffy" for rifle...................
Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back