England: Ban on samurai swords becomes law

From that article, it seems only young kids, wannabees, and normal people who just went nuts carried the swords to begin with, because real career criminals of course still can easily get and use guns.

Must have been an interesting sight to see though, almost like a trip back in time.

I wonder for those that don't have the connections to get firearms, and now that swords are banned, what other things are they going to use and what will be banned next?

We could make a game out of it, what will England ban next?

I vote ball bats. Our own NY wanted to ban aluminum bats, don't know if it got through though...

I wonder for those that don't have the connections to get firearms, and now that swords are banned, what other things are they going to use and what will be banned next?

We could make a game out of it, what will England ban next?

Do they already have cricket-bat registration? It seems odd they would let these hideous war clubs sneak by for so long...

BDM-Dynamic-Super-Bat.jpg

They had a Skate Boarder here in California here recently who was hitting women with his board and violating them. Wonder when they will ban the ownership of skate boards?

I seen a older gentleman whip the crap out of a punk that tried to grab his wallet in a parking lot! He had a nice fat oak cane. :D No one knew what was going on until it was over. The punk didn't get back up until the police got there !

Everyone should develop a limp!:rolleyes:

Wasn't there talk some time ago about banning kitchen knives in the UK?

Soon, her magesty's government will require every UK citizen to wear a helmet and elbow pads whenever in motion, for safety's sake.

lawyer daggit

Alizefan. I think you over exaggerate the laws in Australia.

Gun laws in Australia are unreasonable but they are workable in that one is able to own a wide variety of firearms under the laws. The situation regarding registration, semi autos and pump action shotguns is not good but I get annoyed when people over state it.

I had a client who stabbed an intruder who entered his home at night. He was acquitted and I doubt if he would have been charged in the first place if he had not made a statement or rather the statement that he made to the Police. This highlights one of the strengths of our legal process, the common sense of jurors and their unwillingness to tolerate political correctness.

First off I didn't make any referance to firearms at all and I bet the guy you defended didn't have the knife by his bed expecting trouble ( hence premeditation ). Obviously I can't comment on all australian law but that is pretty close regards WA law. P.S Check your PM box :).

Last edited:
Do they already have cricket-bat registration? It seems odd they would let these hideous war clubs sneak by for so long...

Funny you should mention that. We had two cases here, one at christmas and one last week where a guy was hit in the head by a cricket bat and in both cases they had their life support systems turned off shortly afterwards. I realize your post was meant in jest but given recent developments who know's.

They may be illegal already, but a good modern bow & a quantity of arrows would be on my short list of things to buy.

Then I'd have a real strong sling shot with steel ball bearings.

Wonder what in the history books in England caused them to start to lean so far to the left. We've got centuries of fighters here, a country who stood against the Nazi's. They saw their country bombed to bits, and pulled themselves up and put it back together again. Now, man I feel sorry for these folks now. :(

what I want to know is...

They ban this,

samurai-sword.jpg

But can you still have one of these??

flamberge2.jpg

in case you have the wrong idea, I mean the flamberge...

The Sword Ban, a skit by Monty Python

The article states: "Swords aged over 100 years will be exempt from the law, and defences will be in place for crown functions, museums and drama productions."

I can see it now, all over London, scenes playing out a little something like this:

POLICE: You there! With the illegal samurai sword! Stop!

HOODLUM: What? This isn't bloody illegal! It's...it's over 100 years old.

POLICE: (scratches his head) It IS?! It doesn't LOOK over 100 years old. It's...it's rather shiny.

HOODLUM: A hundred and one, in fact. Me mum took good care of it, she did.

POLICE: I don't believe you.

HOODLUM: Look. It's right here on the handle. (shows it to the bobby, while they both read it out loud in unison). "This sword made more than 100 years ago. A hundred and one, in fact."

POLICE: YOU wrote that on there.

HOODLUM: Did not.

POLICE: Did too. You misspelled "sword."

HOODLUM: It was made like that.

POLICE: You're telling me that more than a century ago, some fine maker of Japanese ornamental swords wrote on his creation...with a smudged Sharpie??

Etc, etc, etc.

defences will be in place for crown functions, museums and drama productions

I was beginning to worry that sword dances would be banned! Or, maybe it is. Is a sword dance a drama production?

The article also says, "Anyone found guilty of importing samurai swords will face up to seven years in prison and an unlimited fine." What about non-samurai swords? And why are only Japanese swords banned? What about the Arabian saif or the Indian Khanda?

Back