End Of An Era - No More Mil Brass - Merged Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

wgb_ks

I was afraid this would happen. Starting now, all brass sales from the military must be de-miled i.e. crushed!! Take a look at the letter I got below:

http://www.govliquidation.com

Dear Valued Customer:

Please take a moment to note important changes set forth by the Defense Logistics Agency:

Recently it has been determined that fired munitions of all calibers, shapes and sizes have been designated to be Demil code B. As a result and in conjunction with DLA's current Demil code B policy, this notice will serve as official notification which requires Scrap Venture (SV) to implement mutilation as a condition of sale for all sales of fired munitions effective immediately. This notice also requires SV to immediately cease delivery of any fired munitions that have been recently sold or on active term contracts, unless the material has been mutilated prior to sale or SV personnel can attest to the mutilation after delivery. A certificate of destruction is required in either case.

Thank you,

DOD Surplus
15051 N Kierland Blvd # 300
Scottsdale, AZ 85254

This means that once-fired mil brass will go through the roof price wise! I got luck because I just purchased and obtained my last order. But, this stinks!

I just checked the website, every lot of fired brass states "mutilation not required". This is just another rumor causing panic buying

Get the word out...it has begun.

This is not good ... undoubtedly, there's more to come. ============ Please take a moment to note important changes set forth by the Defense Logistics Agency:

Recently it has been determined that fired munitions of all calibers, shapes and sizes have been designated to be Demil code B. As a result and in conjunction with DLA's current Demil code B policy, this notice will serve as official notification which requires Scrap Venture (SV) to implement mutilation as a condition of sale for all sales of fired munitions effective immediately. This notice also requires SV to immediately cease delivery of any fired munitions that have been recently sold or on active term contracts, unless the material has been mutilated prior to sale or SV personnel can attest to the mutilation after delivery. A certificate of destruction is required in either case.

Thank you,

DOD Surplus
15051 N Kierland Blvd # 300
Scottsdale, AZ 85254

Immediately after I saw this, I tried to purchase brass at www.gibrass.com. No go--he said he cannot sell it until he gets final word that he can dispose of his stock.

Hey Powderman,

Where did you get this DLA quote? Before retiring from the DLA, property disposal from depots was one of the projects I worked. The quote you cited just does not sound like the kind of words that would be used toward this end. It might be true, but the words seem a bit fishy to me.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

I love the paranoid stories I hear on an almost daily basis now. NOTHING has been put down on any table pertaining to bans on anything! Please stop with the paranoid posts about bans, serialization, etc. It is BS and simply causes illogical people to panic and drive up prices. Supply and Demand laws. Rant over.

Although there are regulations that require this on specific bases, I highly doubt it will go military-wide.

The last base I was stationed at didn't allow any fired munitions to leave the premises. Everything was taken to a central collection point, loaded in dump trucks when the time came, and buried near a live impact range. We were an exception to the 'surplus' brass norm, but even we did not mutilate casings.

I agree with David. I don't know who you talked to at Gibrass but this is the message on their page.
All brass listed below is subject to regulations of the military munitions list.
Consequently, this brass cannot be exported without obtaining an export
license from the U.S. Department of State.
They are talking about exported brass, it doesn't say anything about brass sold in this country.
Rusty

Code: B

Description: USML ITEMS - MUTILATION TO THE POINT OF SCRAP REQUIRED OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES . IN THE UNITED STATES, MUTILATION REQUIREMENT DETERMINED BY THE DEMIL INTEGRITY CODE. DOD TRADE SECURITY CONTROLS REQUIRED IN THE UNITED STATES. (SEE DOD 4160.21-M-1, C3.3.1.7)

I'm happy, I got 1300+ of once fired Lake City 7.62 brass. I hope this only bans exports, and not brass sold here to people here.

Looks like they are trying to keep it out of foreign hands is all. More for us.

Some folks are getting quite wealthy. The rumour here was a 100% tax going into effect 1/1/09. Still haven't seen it happen. They're like car salesman.

Destuction of Fired Militay Brass

Evidently, an agency of the Department of Defense has issued a directive that all spent military brass must be destroyed.

Here is one link that gives more details: http://www.jpfo.org/alerts03/alert20090313.htm

We can all post our feelings here...which is okay.

But, each of us needs to contact our own congressional and senatorial folks and ask for their help to get this directive reversed.

Here is a simple text message that I sent:

"Dear (Senator/Congressman),

It has come to my attention that an agency of the Department of Defense has just directed that all military fired brass must be destroyed. As a taxpayer, I oppose this action as the sale of spent military brass is a source of income that, to a degree, offsets other government expenditures.

In addition, as one that participates in military rifle shooting matches, it reduces my option to buy reloaded ammunition at a reasonable cost. We must remember, ownership of government property whether new, excess or surplus, is ultimately by the people.

As my (senator/congressman), I request you to represent me and take the necessary actions to reverse this directive by the Department of Defense.

Thank you,

(Signed)
(City, State)"

It's easy to do, as most representatives and senators have a formatted message layout on there website. All you need to do is cut here and paste there. Don't forget to put their name in the greeting and your name in the closing.

Last edited:
Why?

This one really puzzles me. What's the motivation for destroying the brass? Is it a conspiracy to reduce ammunition? Makes no sense unless there is a hidden agenda that I don't understand. Does this make a market for new military brass larger for some manufacturer who bought the protection in political contributions?

Somebody please educate me. I ain't spendin' my very small currency with congress persons without a lot more information!

The new regulation is for real. Check the "Splash Page" added today by GEORGIA ARMS. While this may not effect many of us directly or personally, we should all hope it's not a harbinger of what's yet to come...

This is very strange. The linked article (http://www.jpfo.org/alerts03/alert20090313.htm) states:

Please take a moment to note important changes set forth by the Defense Logistics Agency:

Recently it has been determined that fired munitions of all calibers, shapes and sizes have been designated to be Demil code B.

The Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service of the Defense Logistics Agency provides the following definition for Demil Code B:

MLI (Non-Significant Military Equipment - Non-SME) --
Demilitarization not required. Trade Security Controls (TSCs) required at disposition.

Government Liquidation, the reported source of the 'news' in the article, provides the same definition of Demil Code B as the DRMS.

Also, Government Liquidation is offering new auctions for fired military brass.

Lot Details — Event Id 7121 — Lot Number 5151

LOT (11, 000 LBS) APPROX FIRED BRASS, INCLUDES (280 LBS) 12 GAUGE SHELLS IN WOODEN BOXES & (1) DRUM ON (1)PLT. (820 LBS) . 50 CAL BRASS IN WOODEN BOXES ON (1) PLT. (8, 020 LBS) 5. 56 BRASS IN WOODEN BOXES ON (3) PLTS, 4 DRUMS ON (2) PLTS & (1) WOODEN CRATE. (1, 880 LBS) 7. 62 MM BRASS IN 3 DRUMS ON (2) PLTS. PALLETS, CRATE AND DRUMS INCLUDED IN WEIGHT, CERTIFIED WEIGHT TICKET REQUIRED UPON LOAD OUT. MUTILATION NOT REQUIRED.

Three threads merged. Some posts deleted as being duplicated after the merge. All threads moved to L&CR.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back