End Game Big Game Rifle

There have been reports of the M700 bolt handle coming off, I've never had it happen. The fix is to have the bolt handle TIG welded on or have a machine screw installed affixing the bolt handle to the bolt body like LRI does. Also the M700 ejector can get gummed up and fail so you can have a dual ejector installed, but if you keep the bolt clean you probably won't have an ejector failure. Then you have the M700 trigger failures that result in AD when moving the safety from safe to fire, best fix is a new trigger.

I'm not saying other rifles can't have this problem, but the M700 is probably the most popular platform of current production rifles. So more people own one than any other rifle since the 1960's. So there are bound to be more reports of problems than any other rifle.

Last edited:
Depends on what your dad likes. I like short bolt throws which reduces the pool size of models I consider.

I like the following for their accuracy, quality, feel, factory triggers, and reliability. They would all likely be right in the price range your dad is looking to spend. Browning X-Bolt, Sako 85, Sauer 101, Steyr CL or SM, Weatherby Mark V. I've at least shot all of these models and own a Sako 75 and Weatherby Accumark myself and have nothing but good things to say about both of them.

In terms of weight a good back pack goes a long ways in toting a heavier gun around with less effort. I have a couple of Eberlestock packs with the intergrated gun scabbard and highly recommend them.

His cartridge and scope choices sound fine as well.

A sauer 404 with kevlar stock or a blaser r8

He can sell (or give you) all his other rifles
And buy other calibres he needs

And german glass = zeiss or swarowski

Back