End Game Big Game Rifle

The Montana will not be a lightweight rifle, in my experience MRC is a little heavier than advertised.
Yeah, I noticed that. 7.2-7.5lbs. Not exactly svelte. I hope he can get hands on one before he buys it.

A NULA would most likely be in my collection if I had the money.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

How much "$$$$"? Not that spending big money means anything at all. It doesn't guarantee accuracy.
Wouldn't even think about any No$ler named cartridge. Way over priced for one. Your pop will not find it in any small places. The .270 is everywhere. So is .30-06 and .308. All 3 will kill any game in North America, including big bears and moose.

Have him look at one of the Sako models.

Yep, just ran a set of hand-loads an old Finnbear.

270 has been a quirky caliber to get to get to shoot for two of us.

Clearly the issue with the Finnbear was the long chamber, I set the length up to match it.

Sub MOA. 5 shots. Hunting bullets. I only expect two out of a thinner barrel, 3 is nice. 5 not only solid but the last two walked back into the group.

Hunting scope, large cross hairs, not used to the trigger.

Those folks know how to crank out thinner not bendy barrels. CZ probably as well.

How much "$$$$"? Not that spending big money means anything at all. It doesn't guarantee accuracy.
Wouldn't even think about any No$ler named cartridge. Way over priced for one. Your pop will not find it in any small places. The .270 is everywhere. So is .30-06 and .308. All 3 will kill any game in North America, including big bears and moose.
He's pretty set on .270Win, as I mentioned.

He certainly wants his money to guarantee accuracy. That's probably the highest priority.

Through the years, from time to time, I'd dream a bit on a custom rifle, and I'd check at different times the website where that rifle would come from (still a dream...). I always thought the .280 Rem. would be the caliber. In this month's American Rifleman, they have a good write-up on the man and his rifles. If money is not an issue for a rifle build, you may want to check this site out:

www.jarrettrifles.com

Im a fan of the 270 too. A lot of good rifle selections here but have to ask. Does he reload. If accuracy is the priority you need to handload. Not to say you can't get good accuracy with OTC loads, but to find a OTC load that is accurate in your gun and to be able to get consistent accuracy through the years is tough.

FiveInADimve said:
Yeah, I noticed that. 7.2-7.5lbs. Not exactly svelte. I hope he can get hands on one before he buys it.

A NULA would most likely be in my collection if I had the money.

He certainly wants his money to guarantee accuracy. That's probably the highest priority

My MRC X2 .243 Win weighed in at 8.5 lbs when I put an 11 ounce Leupold on it! A .270 MRC X2 will be closer to 8.75 lbs before putting a scope on it. I wouldn't buy a MRC rifle, however I'd buy one of their actions to build on. MRC builds a very nice rifle, but a backpacking or back country rifle they are not.

I could tell you how to get a NULA cheap but it's kind of a secret! Okay not really so here it goes as basically it's the "Forbes Rifle" and not a NULA but for the money it is hard to beat. Find and old Colt Light Rifle, send it back to Melvin Forbes and have him work his magic on it, you'll have a light weight hunting rifle at about 1/4-1/3 the price of a NULA.

MOA guarantees are nice but there only good if the shooter can shoot MOA. I'm not saying your father can't, I'm just saying a lot of people buy a rifle with an MOA guarantee who can't shoot the rifle well enough to see that kind of accuracy. This is especially true when you start buying light rifles, they're a different animal to shoot well all together.

Just a note, I think the only caliber you can get in a Weatherby MKV is a Weatherby magnum caliber that you wont just find anywhere. I dont own 1 but I have shot a Sako, very nice accurate rifle.

My MRC X2 .243 Win weighed in at 8.5 lbs when I put an 11 ounce Leupold on it! A .270 MRC X2 will be closer to 8.75 lbs before putting a scope on it. I wouldn't buy a MRC rifle, however I'd buy one of their actions to build on. MRC builds a very nice rifle, but a backpacking or back country rifle they are not.

I could tell you how to get a NULA cheap but it's kind of a secret! Okay not really so here it goes as basically it's the "Forbes Rifle" and not a NULA but for the money it is hard to beat. Find and old Colt Light Rifle, send it back to Melvin Forbes and have him work his magic on it, you'll have a light weight hunting rifle at about 1/4-1/3 the price of a NULA.

MOA guarantees are nice but there only good if the shooter can shoot MOA. I'm not saying your father can't, I'm just saying a lot of people buy a rifle with an MOA guarantee who can't shoot the rifle well enough to see that kind of accuracy. This is especially true when you start buying light rifles, they're a different animal to shoot well all together.
Wow, 8.75 BEFORE the scope? Dang. He's definitely going to try and find one to handle before purchasing so I guess it'll be up to him whether he actually needs the lighter rifle.

I don't know what it takes for someone to shoot well enough to see a rifle's potential but I think if I can do it he can. He did teach me how to shoot, after all. I can sit behind my .223 and shoot sub-moa groups from a bench without much effort but that's an easy one. I have a .260Rem with a Shilen barrel that will generally shoot 1/2"-3/4" groups from a bench but it's a hefty gun.

I worked up some loads for a friends BDL in .270Win a few years back and shot several 5 round groups at 200 yards under 3/4 of an inch. That rifle blew me away. I dunno, it just seems like nearly anyone should be able to shoot an accurate rifle accurately with modest skills from a bench.

I learned to shoot very early and competed in smallbore as a child and did very well. So maybe I have a skewed perspective.

I will PROBABLY be handloading with him since I don't think he's going to, at least right away. I've been able to get almost every rifle I own to shoot about twice as well with handloads vs factory. I've got dozens of pounds of powder sitting around because I don't shoot much any more. I told him to plan on buying a couple-hundred pieces of brass, projectiles, and dies.

I may have made it sound like he is just trying to jump into the game cold from the sidelines but he actually shoots quite a bit. He just hasn't purchased a gun for a long time and there's a lot of options out there these days.

Just a note, I think the only caliber you can get in a Weatherby MKV is a Weatherby magnum caliber that you wont just find anywhere. I dont own 1 but I have shot a Sako, very nice accurate rifle.
You can get a MkV Weathermark in .270Win, .30-06, 7mmRem Mag, and .308Win.

For super light weight and super accurate.
Only 2 come to my mind.
First is a NULA( Forbes) as already mentioned.

The other would be a Proof Research Summit.

Gunwerks makes a darn accurate rifle, but i'm not sure of the weight.

The .270 is a great choice. I'd go to a good smith and get a trued Remington receiver/ good after market barrel fitted and a timney trigger put it all in a Bell and Carlson 2096 and bed it. It's easy to handle and very accurate. However it won't carry the fancy name but who cares. It's one of the best hunting rigs around.

Wow, 8.75 BEFORE the scope?

I'm sorry, that should have read 8.75 lbs after adding a scope. However, you'll have to be very careful on optics or you'll push the rifle over 9 lbs. I figure adding the extra length of the long action would probably add a 1/4 lb to the weight of what the rifle I had weighed.

Trust me shooting a 7 lbs or less rifle brings a new set of challenges. It's nothing that can't be learned, but it is something that has to figured out by the shooter. Shooting a .223 sub MOA or a standard weight .270 MOA or less is a lot easier, they are just easier to control recoil on.

Last edited:
If he wants to buy a factory rifle and not have one built as a fully custom job, I doubt you can get better then this.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produ...-Current-Products/model-70-featherweight.html

No action is more reliable, at any price. Most of them shoot under MOA right out of the box and if you got one that didn't (not likely) you can re-barrel it and still be into the gun for less then some of the others mentioned above. They sell the barrel on e-bay in "like new condition" and you can get about $100 of your barrel job back.

I make rifles to earn my living. Mostly flintlocks, but I have made a LOT of custom bolt actions too. I reject the idea that "it's too nice to hunt with" because 300 years of history are proof that's not true. And you can refinish and re-checker a wood stock and make it as good as new. Add to this the fact that plastic stocks and laminate stocks cost a bunch when you buy them new, but do not hold value well at all unlike a nice wood stock.
But if plastic is the order of the say, you can look at one of these.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/produ...ent-Products/model-70-extreme-weather-ss.html

There are so many good actions/ barrels/stocks out there.
I've seen guys show up at the range with Defiance actions, lilja barrel, McMillon stock , Jewel trigger and Night Force scope at the range get out shot by my wife with her $150 Rossi R243 with a Vortex Crossfire II scope.

Money doesn't fix inept.

Back