Easing into shotgun reloading

Welcome to an election year. Grant

Yep , oh how I get that . 2012 taught me a lesson I had hoped to never forget . In most ways I haven’t, I have thousands of everything reloading related to what I reload as far as regular cartridges I have firearms for. It’s never good to start something new in times like these . I’m going to go get the steel shot this week just to have it but will do my best to find some lead .

So I bought the Lee loadall2 several years ago and never took it out of the box . Can anyone see where this is going :(
What ever came in the box is not for 12ga :(:( Looks like I need a 12ga conversion kit which are cheap but dang ! I decided to pull it out and start getting ready to mount and just get a general feel . I thought I'd try to deprime one of the green shells because there was some concerns I may not be able to . Well a 12ga shell does not fit up into any of the tubes on this new just out of box press . I don't even remember buying it , except that I knew I bought one so I clearly missed something when doing so . :o

Oh well should have the kit here in a week or so . :rolleyes:

Mec shotshell reloaders are MUCH superior to the plastic Lee Loadall's.

Oh I'm sure they are but I paid $40-now $65 for it and as stated in this thread I really don't have an interest in loading shotgun but for the most basic of reasons in relatively small amounts . We will ultimately see but I feel the Lee press is best suited for my purpose . Now I have no less then 3 presses for my other reloading and want another . I however load a lot of 308 , 223 , 9mm , 45acp , 357 , 30-30 so I spend better money on that equipment although all my pistol dies are Lee .

I bought my fist Load All II in the 80’s to load 16 gauge, bought a 12 gauge in 99 never had a problem with either.

If you just want hunting or Survival loads that press is good enough.

I can’t remember what I paid back in the 80’s but I paid $32. For the 12gauge in 99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first shotgun press was a Lee Load all in 20 ga. Now I use it to teach my kids the process. It is slow enough that they can see all of the process and repetition sets it into memory. I have 3 presses for 12 ga. An old Texan single stage that my wife found at a yard sale. A MEC progressive press that can really crank out some trap loads. And a MEC 600 jr that is dedicated to 3" loads. I enjoy using all of my presses, but each has a purpose. If I find another Load all in 12 ga cheap enough I will buy it. They aren't fancy, but they get the job done.

Lees are plastic and zinc with zero adjustability; MECs are excellent single stage presses for beginners.If you are using basic 2-3/4" Winchester AA or similar hulls, you can find load dat online from places like Alliant or Hodgdon.

Thanks , yes I’ve found a good bit of data . I’m now trying to find components that match that data . In this regard it is so much easier to load pistol and rifle cartridges.

Comparing MEC to LEE is interesting. The cheapest single stage MEC is $208 and only loads one length. The conversion from 2.75 to 3 inch costs another$49 and a gauge conversion costs over $100, also steel shot conversion costs $98 to $184 depending on which press you bought. These prices vary a lot with different model MECs, but it all adds up.
LEE LOADALL is $59 and will do 2.75 or 3 inch and conversion to another gauge is $22. If I have read my directions correctly, they will do 2.75 or 3 inch with just an adjustment. I think there is no issue with doing steel shot in a LEE, but I am not sure. My only issue with LEE is that they dont sell a 4.10 conversion.
From what I have read (I have not set mine up yet) the Lee is reliable if you are not ham fisted and into forcing things.
For under $100, I have a loader that will do 12 or 20 gauge, 2.75 or 3 inch and I think steel shot, although I have older guns and wont load steel. That under $100 also included a few small replacement parts that might wear out. Do the math, and unless you plan on massive production you might be just as well off with the LEE. Just my thoughts. Grant.

I think there is no issue with doing steel shot in a LEE, but I am not sure.
The reason MEC sells a steel conversion is to add a cushion in the shot hole on the charge bar. Steel doesn't give or cut easily, so they added a rubber cushion on the edge of the bar that allows the steel shot a place to compress into when you press the charge bar over. It reduces wear on the charge bar and prevents jamming the charge bar with a piece of steel that can't be forced into the bar or the shot bottle.

The Lee uses plastic bushings for the adjustment of shot charge weight. Steel will run through it, but it wears out the bushings faster than lead. I use a scale to measure my steel charges and use a funnel to load the shot into the shell. I don't shoot enough steel to bother with paying for a separate charge bar on my MEC. And it saves the damage on my Lee Load all. If all I shot was steel, I would probably rethink that.

Big Al, thank you, that is a good clear explanation of the difference. I just received my 2.75 inch 20 gauge hulls, so when I can find some shot that isnt way over priced, I will find out how well my Load All works. I dont have any shotguns that take 3 inch so that wont get tested and no steel shot for my old guns. I look forward to getting started.
My 410 reloading will be a different issue. I really dont want to pay the price for a MEC, so to start out I have been trying to buy 3 inch primed hulls, with no luck. I think I can load them without a press for the first time, and hope to have a sizing die to use my metallic press for the next reloadings. A few years ago, there was an outfit selling 410 dies for a regular press, so I think I am going to talk to a machinist friend about taking an old 06 die and making a 410 sizing die out of it. I believe that the 06 die is long enough to do the 3 inch shells.
It is all fun, and a learning experiment . Grant.

I have previously looked for the LEE classic loaders, but not seen a set for under $100. I have not looked recently. I wish the outfit that was making 410 dies for regular press,s was still in business. I see the utube videos about reloading with all kinds of odd tools, but I will need to size hulls since my son has a pump 410, and repeaters are much more sensitive to hull diameter than my old single shots. I dont want to make ammo that might jam a gun. I will manage one way or another. Thanks, Grant.

If you find new primed hulls you can also get a roll crimp tool for $30 at Ballistic Products. You would also need over shot cards. But a press is not needed. You can probably find data and instructions from Ballistic Products for using once fired hulls with the roll crimper. It is a little more in depth but still possible. You might not have to resize them if you check all the hulls in the chambers you plan to shoot it from.

Use single-aught buckshot, and use a normal shotshell crimp without the need for a special tool.

Don

I dont plan on buckshot for the 410. I have deer rifles for that. The quail and tree squirrels will be a tasty treat from my own land. I also have turkey on the land, but will use a 20 or 12 with much heavier shot for them. Of course, getting any size shot right now is a problem. Maybe when the dust (and hopefully not blood) settles after the election, things will get back to a sort of normal. Grant.

I’ve been sidetracked lately so I’ve not been reading the manual so I’m just gonna ask here a couple questions but I know the manual will likely answer for me .

1) what’s the difference between regular shot and buckshot . I can buy #4 regular shot but I can’t find #4 buckshot ? Is it size, hardness what’s the difference ?

2) is Universal the same as universal clays ?

#4 bird shot is a fair amount smaller than #4 buck. The #4 buck is roughly a quarter inch diameter. #4 bird is around 1/16 inch diameter, maybe a little bigger.

shot_sizes.jpg

Yes, Universal Clays is also known as just plain Universal.

Don

Back