DWM Luger Failure to eject / chamber - Help please.

This may help.

I have a DWM 9mm luger with original magazine. It has been functioning well with factory (FMJ) ammo and my own hand loads (SWC cast). I tried it with a new hand load yesterday and it started to stove pipe on feeding, if I put more than 4 rounds in the magazine.

The new load has the same SWC cast bullets with similar muzzle velocity as my previous loads. It is shorter, 1.065" versus 1.150". I noticed the top round in the magazine starts to have this nose-down attitude as the magazine is loaded, and its nose will even go below the mag body in front of it when there is more than 4 rounds in the mag. When the pistol is chambering the round, the nose of the bullet will hit the mag body in front of it and bounces up, and stove pipe. Luger's magazine is a bit different from modern designs that the rounds are not overlapping 100% over the each other, to fit the angle of the pistol grip. If the cartridges are too short, the overlapping will be further reduced, and the rounds' attitude may start to deviate from the follower.

Sure enough, when I switched back to the longer cartridges, the problem went away.

I can image this could be worse with .30 luger as it is necked.

-TL

I'll do the best I can to look at that Tango. Even though Delta Outfitters showed the MecGar magazines in stock they actually did not. Oh well, it looks like it will be a couple of months.

Back