Duty Weapon options

I too have no dog in this but carrying a sidearm that most of your Co workers carry makes sense from an ammo and magazine compatibility perspective.

I'm also in the ergonomics camp, which is why I chose cz over glock.

I'm of the "use what's issued" group.

Sure, when I was a younger cop I was VERY concerned about such things. I was a firearms enthusiast and fancied myself knowledgeable and experienced.

After a career in LE, with a lot of time as a firearms instructor & armorer, it wouldn't concern me anymore. I adapted (with medium size hands) to all the different revolvers and pistols that were issued over the years. As an armorer for a few different makes/models, they all have their advantages & disadvantages.

Now, if you have VERY small hands and can't sufficiently grasp the G22 and function the trigger to make consistently accurate hits? Do they offer an option for the occasional "disparate impact" situation (meaning a small-handed shooter who may also be recoil sensitive to the .40 S&W)? If it's "buy your own", you're back to square one. ;)

If they issue the Glock, and have one or more Glock armorers on-staff, then the periodic inspections, armorer level maintenance and any repairs are on their dime. If they don't have an armorer on-staff for whatever optional pistol you may choose, then it's left up to you. That can create some difficulties for periodic inspections (beyond field-stripping for cleaning & routine user-level inspections). If a repair is needed, and it requires the gun being returned to the manufacturer for repair ... and then you have to carry the issued G22 (and holster) in the interim.

Also, if your personally-owned pistol is actually used in a shooting, you're not only going to probably see it kept in evidence for the criminal and civil proceedings, but now if any questions or questionable issues may exist regarding the weapon, then its condition and servicing may be left up to you to explain (instead of the agency armorer).

If a personally-owned weapon is lost, stolen or damaged during the course of your daily activities (on & off-duty), then the cost of its replacement is on you ... and you get to carry the issued G22 (and holster) in the interim.

If it's their G22 that suffers a problem? Hey, they'll give you another one that looks just like it.

Another option that may help mitigate some of these issues would be to buy your own Gen4 G22, as the "standard" SF-type grip, or the optional inserts, might address your concerns about it "not fitting you" to your level of preference. Then, the armorer can still maintain, inspect, service & repair your Glock ... and having to transition to an issued one in the event of yours being taken into property/evidence may not be such an imposition. ;)

You're about to embark in a LE career. Don't obsess on the weapon. Lots of other critical things to consider, learn and worry about on any given day. It's a handgun ... being used as a dedicated duty weapon. That's all.

Lots of gun owner/enthusiasts who get a cop job want to think about the GUN.

How well can you DRIVE?

How well can you WRITE?

How well can you speak in PUBLIC, to small or large groups of people? How about testifying in court?

How's your level of physical fitness?

What's your general life experience?

Congrats, BTW. :)

Indulge your firearms enthusiast interest on your off-duty weapon, if you wish (with all the same potential issues still facing you, of course).

If I were going to trust my life to the guns you listed, I'd go with the sig. I also get why the beretta has come up a bit in this thread, it is a proven platform in those communities where people depend upon a reliable sidearm for their safety. You sound as though you know the guns you like and shoot well, I would rely more upon that experience than Internet opinion. Sig, HK or beretta, for reliability in a combat scenario, or as you mentioned, a reliable well maintained 1911. Whatever you choose I suspect you will shoot and maintain it to the point where you can depend upon it. Thanks for your service.

Berettas....

I'm not a huge fan of Beretta M9s/92FS or PX4 DA-SA formats because of the slide mounted ambi safety controls.
A frame mounted system? Yes. But in rapid draws or regular drills, the traditional safe frame mounted style is far better & more reactive.
The M9s & 92FS/96FS are robust and well made but I would not carry any in 2014. A C(constant action) .40S&W or .45acp PX4 pistol could work well but IMO, the PX4 line is not as widely accepted by armed professionals(outside of DC/NOVA/MD) as the M&Ps or the popular Glock 22/23 .40S&Ws.

I carried the Sig for almost 20 years on the job and it never let me down. We started with the 9mm and went to .40 and now to the Glock 22. I missed my Sig so much I just recently went and bought another. Unfortunately got to carry what is issued for work.

I can't speak to your other choices, but would (and have) bet my life on both the Sig/Glock. I have to admit that once we finished transition training I do shoot the Glock 22 just as good if not better than my Sig and the G27 back up accepts the G22 mags which make it a pretty nice pair for work. My recommendation is that unless you have some kind of physical deformity that conflicts with the G22, that you just shoot it more until it becomes second nature (usually about 500-1000 rounds) and get a G27 for a backup.

Some other very good considerations for keeping what is issued in Fastbolt's comments.

The P30 is a sweet gun but for full duty use you might want to look at the P30L. Being just a tad longer, it looks and feels more balanced in my hand.

If you were thinking about a .45, the FNX-45 is great. It made a spot for itself as the highest-capacity .45 on the market, all while combining relatively light weight with relatively comfortable shooting.

I would trust my life to either of these fine pistols.

I'm just some anonymous guy on the internet with zero law enforcement knowledge. I would go with what feels best and pay no attention to what strangers on a forum recommend. I do like the CZ line of semi auto pistols though.

Because....

That's good advice. :rolleyes:
What would people who carried a sidearm on duty for 10/20/30 years possibly know?....

Just dont get a "chrome plated sissy pistol". But that is what I would suggest if you cant get a new .40 96FS. I would say the m9 first but if 9mm is not accepted as a round at your precinct and you have to get a .40, I would get the S&W 4006. Or 4046 if you want DAO.

I find all the m9 bashing funny since its somehow not a reliable gun, but the military uses it still.

I would ask the armorer at your precinct what he knows and get your favorite of that bunch. Helps if the guy knows how to fix any issues with your gun without resorting to google for answers.

Real real cops use big revolvers:
rick-andrew-lincoln-walking-dead-season-2-teaser.jpg

M9, "basher"....

I'm not "bashing" the Beretta models. I packed a M9 9mmNATO for 24mo at my second duty station. I also owned 02 Beretta 96Ds & a PX4 C(constant action).
M9s & the 92FS/96FS are fine, they're just not my 1st pick for a sidearm in 2014. Can they protect you? Sure. Are they easy to field-strip & clean? You bet.
Are there better duty pistols? Absolutely. :D

OK guys so i found out that my department has two options for issue weapons and i would like to hear you thoughts. The do offer the Glock 22 like a lot of departments but they also offer the HK USP 40. up sides and down sides to both please.

I'm not Glock fan but I'd take one over the HK, if only for the extra capacity. Plus the USPs are really big for the caliber.

I wouldn't even hesitate on that one. I'd grab the USP and have absolutely no regrets. The recoil is more tame, the trigger is way better especially if you have the LEM triggers, and that thing is a tank of a gun.

To be fair though, it also holds 2 rounds less. Apart from that, they are both plastic guns, the number one complaint about them is the grip (HK seems too bulky for some, and people complain about the grip angle and bulk on the Glock), and both will go bang when you need them too.

If there is a range with rental guns in your area, you may want to go shoot them both to formulate your own decision. The only difference might be that the USPs that your department uses have LEM triggers instead of what the range probably has which is the standard DA/SA trigger.

Between just those two choices, I would take the USP hands down. Of course, the best advice has already been given. Get the both in your hand and shoot them if you can. That should give you a clear winner.

A couple of the guys on my department switched over to the M&P. Even being a diehard Glock fan myself, I find that I might want to have an affair with one.

Heckler & Koch USP .40....

I'd consider the HK USP .40S&W in LEM format(law enforcement modification).
The first PD I tested for when I left the military, Ablemarle County(VA) County Police issue the HK USP .40 Compact. They've used it for many years with 0 problems.
I'd prefer the smaller HK P2000 LEM, in use with a few DHS agencies, the .40 has full ambi controls & holds up well to duty use.

USPs are not common due to the larger size but they are accurate, robust & easy to service.
The line was started in part due to the US Spec Ops Command mark 23 .45acp service pistol.
Clyde

Back