Duty Weapon options

I don't understand why so many post's about a Glock when the OP clearly stated he did not want one So if that is your answer it is not helpful. Glock is a great duty weapon, but he doesn't want one!, with all due respect.

And they have had reliability issues.
(speaking of the M&P)Like what? references? Give me some proof that they are unreliable other than a few post her or there that amount to about the same as any other good reliable gun. Many LE use the M&P and more have went to them, even though I don't think they will surpass Glock.

Glock is proven itself reliable in LE. I trust my G23 with my life. Just an awesome track record. But I would an M&P just as much. Before the Glocks took over Gen2 and gen 3 S&W's ruled the day with an impeccable track record as well. Two great guns and when either one gets unjust and unfounded reliability as a duty weapon remark I must call it out.

The human hand will conform to whatever shape you put in it. This is really a lame excuse. It is like picking which car you'll purchase by walking around the lot sitting in the drivers seat and making your decision based on which is more comfortable without driving any of them.

There are legitimate reasons why some may not like a Glock, but this is not one of them.

How a gun feels in your hand is definitely an extremely important factor in a handgun purchase, and one of the BIGGEST reasons people dislike the Glock is the grip. I don't see how you could have possibly come to this conclusion.

I like my Glocks, but it is ridiculous to think that any handgun can simply fit all hands. Yes, your hand can conform to just about any grip on the market, but grips that are natural and comfortable for the shooter make a world of difference.

The OP is perfectly justified in his desire for a different weapon, and has apparently already decided that the Glock isn't for him, so why bother bringing it up at all?

The OP would be best served by handling a few, narrowing it down a little bit based on which ones he likes the most, and then shooting the remaining options to get a feel for which one is his favorite.

my recommendations shouldn't mean much since you already state that you are not competent with a Glock. the best advise I or anyone else can give you is for you to be the one to decide what works best for you and what are competent with and are you willing to remain so.

if you aren't competent with a Glock then I would not steer you to a thinking man's gun such as a 1911. perhaps a DAO Beretta 96D would be best for you.

My personal choice would be for the Sig or the Beretta. I like the single to double action for carry. I have carried an M9 in the military and now carry a P228 as my CCW. I love 1911's but for a duty weapon I would want more capacity. With that said, if I got issued any of the guns on your list I would feel confident.

Just my 2 cents worth- if the predominant caliber in the dept is .40S&W- then I would narrow your choices to the .40 (or whatever the most prevelant caliber is). Is training/duty ammo provided by the dept? What calibers? Outside of that- my personal choice would be the Sig.

I should add be careful about the gun fit to hand trap. The fit you are looking for is not gun store fit, but how naturally does it recoil, does it shift, do sights return to target, can you shoot fast and accurate, etc.

This is where the M&P will likely fail you....or possibly not.

I too thought my G21 fit bad, but I can put rounds on target, very fast and accurate.

My dept issues the G22 as well, unfortunately we don't get a choice. If I had my druthers I'd go with an M&P40 with a manual safety or a Sig P226. I am a 1911 nut also and would love to carry my Colt but if I were buying something likely to get beat up or taken into court as evidence I wouldn't want it to be a gun I cared too much about.

edit* the FNX is another one I would look at as well.

PD member of service shootings....

If the PD allows personal weapons(officer purchase), I'm not sure how they'd handle a member of service shooting. Would they mandate the use of a Glock 22 .40 until the investigation was over? Would they return the officer's personal weapon if they are cleared?
A forum member made a good point about how carry guns/duty weapons may be confiscated or put in holding with little or no care, :rolleyes: .
Your $1600.00 1911a1 .45acp may be treated poorly by staff/agency employees who know next to nothing about firearms. A standard weapon like a PPQ, M&P, Glock, XDm, etc may cost less but you can replace or repair it for less cost.

BTW; Beretta no longer makes a 96D .40, the officer could buy a new PX4 C(constant action). It's like a HK LEM(law enforcement modification) or SIG Sauer DAK(Double Action Kellerman) or ParaUSA LDA(long double action).

I would like to thank those that did reply but it still seems that most did not grab the concept of what i was after. a lot of poster seem to think that because i am new to LE that i am new to firearms. This is not the case. I have experience shooting so i know about going to the range and shooting the different options i am considering. what i was hoping to get was the pros and cons of the options of firearms that i stated from those that have carried them or have owned them. reliability issues, ease target acquisition and things like that. i know overall it will be my choice but i like to make an informed choice. as far as the glock goes i think that people think that i have not had any experience with the glock. i actually own a G23 and carry it often, mostly for a lack of something that i would be more proficient with, and i trust it to get the job done but like just stated it is not a firearm i am comfortable with or as proficient with when compared to the options that i am considering. Also as for finding something the department allows all of the stated firearms would be an acceptable duty weapon for department standards.

Since you're uncomfortable with the Glock and expressed interest in the Sig, I'd go with that. I have Berettas, and a Glock 26 and a Sig 228 - the Sig would make an excellent duty weapon in my opinion. Find the one that fits your hand and run with it.

Laura

I would select the Beretta 92 or 96, or the Sig Sauer P226 or 229. Both are comfortable and about as reliable as it gets. I own Berettas that have been flawless and I have a good deal of experience with Sigs that has been positive.

As mentioned by some others, the M&P is a good option. My friend has an M&P 40 fullsize with thumb safety and it's a nice pistol. Like my Beretta PX4 and the Sig 229, it feels very natural chambered in .40 S&W

Real Cops carry revolvers: S&W Model 28

Model%2028.JPG

I would go with the Sig P226 also. My sisters duty weapon is .40 cal P229, but that's department issued and seems to do her well. They actually upgraded from Glock 22's a few years back. I have shot all three guns and the P226 wins out for me.

I have been doing some research into carry options myself, and have delved a bit into products for the Glock. There is an adapter for Glocks which supposedly make them more ergonomic and allow the shooter to maintain a higher grip. Grip force adapters:

http://gripforceproducts.com/

For only $27.00 or so, it would seem like a very low cost investment to use on the G23 that you currently own and carry. You could try it and it may become the carry/duty piece you've been searching for all along.

I have no experience with shooting Glocks or the Grip force adapters, but maybe some other shooters have and could chime in with a positive or negative viewpoint of the product.

several of my friends are in law enforcement. and oddly enough all of them hate glocks. i'm not a fan either, i'm a hammer man and i will never buy myself a striker fired gun. however the wife does like the striker fired ones and she carries a kahr

the 2 most common preferences amongst my LEO friends for duty is the xdm and the fnx. don't know why, but that's what they like and that's what they carry

Last edited:
OP,

I have no dog in this fight, so this is just one jaundiced internet opinion.

Since you are familiar with firearms, and don't like the grip/feel,of the Glock (and I share this with you but I have Glocks), then you know what you are looking for.

Truth is, there are very few bad handguns out there. Differences amount to counting angels on the head of a pin.

Find what you like and call it a day.

I _personally_ would not drop $1500 into what is a personal tool being used for your organization. If it gets confiscated for some reason, you will be out a lot of $$$$$ needlessly.

Sigs FIT me where Glocks don't. BUT, shooters like Hickok45 do AMAZING things with Glocks...well, Hickok does amazing things with anything.

When I was working for newspapers, it was very common, standard actually, that photographers supplied their own equipment. This amounted to thousands of dollars of personal investment, but shooters moved from paper to paper every couple of years back then. So you bought what you liked. The choice was berween Nikon and Canon, with a few eccentrics using Leica.

Long and irrelevant way of saying you already know what you want to do, you are just looking for validation from your tribe.

Fine, but irrelevant. Your tribe is not you. Use the Nikon, or the Canon. Or get froggy and use the Leica. Anything will work. You have already determined what you want to do. Go forth, have fun, don't look back.

Back