Duplicates In Your Collection

Naw, its smart really. Something happens to the gun you normally use, theres a spare that drops right into the same holster, handles and shoots the same as the one I practice the most with and uses all the same accessories.
Certainly each to their own. For myself, I have holsters of the same type, Hybrid IWB, for every gun in my "rotation". I would hate to think my shooting skills limit me to just one gun I am most used to.
However, everything I carry is pretty much similar in operation. Draw, point, pull, bang! I like to keep things simple like that.:D

Two Beretta Pico's
Two Beretta Nano's (also bought a third for my Son)
Two Kahr CM9's

Also a Beretta APX Carry, which is the new Gen for the Nano.

Yes, duplicates are the best testament you can give for a gun.They also serve the purpose of having one for heavy training and one for carry that has all springs, magazine etc. in top condition.
I also have just about every spare part for the Nano which I slowly accumulate over the years to just have on hand.

At this point in my life I've already tried just about everything and have decided what works best for me. The stuff that doesn't interest me was sent down the road long ago. I'd rather have several versions of what I like, and they don't have to be just alike.

I have 3 G19's, one black, one green, and one brown. I have 4 bolt rifles in 308 but set up for very different uses. One has a heavy target barrel with a target scope, one has a short 18" barrel with a low powered scope for brush hunting, one weighs under 6 lbs including optics for hunting harsh steep terrain, and the 4th is a general purpose all around rifle. But I don't have to load for 4 different cartridges.

I also have 2 adult kids with 5 grand kids. Down through the years I bought just about everything in multiples of 2, one for each of my kids when the time comes to give them away. No worries about who gets the Smith revolver and who gets the Colt 1911, they both get one of each. Many have already been gifted to them and I have tended to only keep the ones I actually use.

I have several S&W 1917s since at the time I bought them they were really cheap and fun to shoot. There is also the two S&W Centennial J frames that might count except one is an early flat latch Lemon Squeezer while the other a modern 642.

standard.jpg

I also have the Sig P290RS in both the 9mm Para and 380 version. Then two Remington RM380s followed me home.

Maybe my favorite pair are the JP Sauer 38hs from 1941 and 1942. The 1941 one went all the way through the war and then served as a VoPo pistol in East Germany. The 42 though had a very short military career since it was captured it likely in 1943 during the Italian Campaign.

1941 JP Sauer 38h:
standard.jpg

1942:
standard.jpg

Not exact duplicates: I already owned a S&W 642 by the time I inherited my grandfather's model 42 Centennial. For years I had my eye out for a 12 ga. Browning Auto 5, to match the magnum 20 I had received as my first gun. Over the years I've picked up a few 12s, but they were never the right vintage, wood finish, stock configuration, etc. When I finally found a matching model, I still had a couple of runner ups in the safe.

Don't even get me started on 1911s...

I'll bite, in my modest collection I have 6 1911's.
4 full size 2 commander length.
3 in .45ACP. 2 in .38 Super and 1 in 10mm.
Just an old fashioned kind of guy. :rolleyes:

2- P08's
2- 1911 GI configuration (SA, RIA)
PT-92, PT-92AF, PT-99 (not sure this counts)
PPK/S, Astra Constable II (not sure this counts)

Cheapshooter said:
Certainly each to their own. For myself, I have holsters of the same type, Hybrid IWB, for every gun in my "rotation". I would hate to think my shooting skills limit me to just one gun I am most used to.
"Beware the man who owns only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

I'm not brand fanboy snob, I love each and every one for it's subtle shooting charaistics. While I don't own any direct "duplicates" I do own a few "1911" variants. My big bad "10mm", my laser beam accurate 9mm , and the potentially life saving baby .380. C'mon guys lets face facts, you can't own just one 1911.....

I have purchased updated versions/generations of guns, but do not have any exact duplicates. I really like the Ruger LCP II for pocket carry, and plan to pick one up for my wife. It will be her gun, so not sure if it counts as a duplicate.

I have a mess of Glocks, but no duplicates yet, though with barrel swaps several of them can share mags and different calibers. Two is one and one is none is a great mantra for gun collecting.

Have been on a buying spree lately. Two Beretta 81's, and just ordered another Beretta Storm to go with the first one I received a week ago. All police trade ins which can be a real bargain.

Eric 53 said:
Have been on a buying spree lately. Two Beretta 81's, and just ordered another Beretta Storm to go with the first one I received a week ago. All police trade ins which can be a real bargain.

I bought a Glock 22 LEO trade-in for my wife for $369 , outstanding shooter, just a slight amount of surface coating wear on the slide at the muzzle from holstering.

3 full-size 1911's, 2 in .45 ACP, one in 10mm. Not identical, but similar.
2 smaller 1911's, Colt Defender in .45 ACP and Kimber Micro-9
2 .44 Magnum Ruger Super BlackHawks, 7.5" barrel, but not identical. (one is a New Model)
2 Identical P365's. One for each of us.
Glock G19x and Glock G45.

Back