Duplicates In Your Collection

Eddiejoe

A comment in another thread made me wonder:
What makes you buy duplicates of the same gun?
I have two Springfield Armory XD MOD2s -1 in the grey and one with a stainless slide.
I bought the second (stainless) because of price and that it came new with 3 mags instead of two

I have at least one duplicate of anything I might carry/use. I think thats a must and a given. Its just backup.

I actually do have duplicates or very similar models of pretty much everything else too, especially of the guns I tend to prefer.

What can I say, the little base tards just call my name when I drive by the shop and they know I have no will power. :D

I used to have a few pairs.
I don't think there are any left.

The only arguable exceptions that I can think of would be:
Buckmarks - but they're different models, one 'Standard', one 'Target'.

And the rest are long guns. Marlin levers, Marlin X7s, 1916 Spanish Mausers, Ruger M77s, and more.
But they're all different in some way. There are no exact duplicates left. (There were at one time, but not any more.)

I do own a Ruger P95 that has no frame (and is, therefore, not actually a firearm). The pile of parts are backups for the P95 that is complete and actually gets shot. Does that count...?

???
I have choices for backup, not duplicates. That's boring.:D
Naw, its smart really. Something happens to the gun you normally use, theres a spare that drops right into the same holster, handles and shoots the same as the one I practice the most with and uses all the same accessories. ;)

I have plenty of other and diverse choices, so Im normally not bored. Many of those choices have spares as well. :)

I technically own 2 examples of the Walther PPK/S, but they're both made by different manufacturers, have a different finish, and are chambered in different cartridges.

1.) PPK/S
Manufacturer: Walther
Finish: Black
Caliber: .22LR

2.) PPK/S
Manufacturer: Smith & Wesson
Finish: Polished Stainless Steel
Caliber: .380 ACP

For those who may be confused right now, the Walther PPK has been manufactured by many different manufacturers over the years besides just Walther themselves, namely because after WWII they weren't allowed to produce firearms domestically for awhile, so it was licensed out to Manurhin of France, the the Gun Control Act of 1968 banned the PPK from being imported into the United States, so first they designed a new model known as the PPK/S in order to score the necessary points as a sporting gun to be imported, then eventually in was manufactured in the US by Ranger under the license of Interarms/Walther, then from the early 2000s to about 2014 it was manufactured by Smith & Wesson who was the importer of all Walther products at the time, and now it's made by Walther's US branch, Walther Arms USA out of Fort Smith, Arkansas.

In 60+ years of shooting I only have one exact duplicate and that is a pair of P365's. That is a testimony to how much I like that gun.

An old friend had two Sig P229s so he could fire both at the same time, one in each hand.

Definitely not a boring application of duplicate firearms.

I just purchased a second M&P Shield in 9mm because I shoot it pretty well and I carry it. Plus, it was a good price. If something happens to one, I'll still have another. Also, I could potentially give one of them to one of my daughters at some point. I also have duplicate Model 10-5 revolvers (thin barrels) because they balance great, shoot well, and I again got the second one at a good price.

Those are the only absolute duplicates I have but do have variations of the same models of other guns.

Great question.

I have duplicate Glock 19 and Glock 19X.

However, one is for suppressor and one for concealed carry (Glock 19X). One is a range gun and one is for a CAA Gear Micro Roni Stabilizer (Glock 19).

Taurus 605 5 Shot 357 Magnum (mine) and Taurus 605 5 Shot 357 Magnum, 1994 Custom Shop (wife).

I had a Ruger Mark IV Target with T&J Tactical Integral Suppressor and a Ruger Mark II Target Competition but since I prefer suppressed shooting, I sold the Mark II.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have triple and quadruple of certain models. Ones with suppressors, ones with red dots, ones with nothing but night sights. Guns get jacked up in fights too. I kicked away many dinged up/ jammed AKs from bodies. If something happens to your gun, you'll be wanting a replacement right away. If you're lucky enough to just have it taken into evidence in some civilian shooting, you probably won't be getting back in a timely manner.

I have two identical S&W 9mm Shields. They were just a great deal and are great guns. Like AK103K said, it's good to have backups and the price was right.

I also have two identical CZ82s. Again I came across a great deal when I had my C&R licence and they are great guns. I used to have two CZ52s, but sold one of that pair a few years back.

Two S&W model 28 Highway Patrolman revolvers as well. These are identical except one is a 28 no dash from the 50's and the other is a 28-2 from the late 70's. I had the latter gun for a long time. The other I bought from a friend when he needed the money.

My last pair is somewhat like Fort S+W's guns except mine are a pair of Manurhin PP pistols. One chambered in 32ACP and the other in 22LR. I really like this pair. Both are great fun.

attachment.php

My pair of Manurhin PPs. The top one chambered in 32ACP and the bottom one chambered in 22LR.

Attachments

• IMG_20161230_151648021.jpg
    IMG_20161230_151648021.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
The closest I am is a S&W CS9, and a S&W CS40. I do have a couple rifles that share the basic Garand action though.

I shot USPSA with a Glock 23. Had a spare "just in case". Swapped barrels due to a squib load once. Also, finished a match with the backup when a slide stop spring broke. Have a pair of Blackhawks in 45 Colt I used in three gun western matches. Also have a Smith 66 and 19 as well as a 686 and 586 just because I like having both the blue and stainless versions of the .357mags.

A comment in another thread made me wonder:
What makes you buy duplicates of the same gun?
I have two Springfield Armory XD MOD2s -1 in the grey and one with a stainless slide.
I bought the second (stainless) because of price and that it came new with 3 mags instead of two

2 XDS-s. 2 snubbie revolvers. Not exact duplicates, but functionally backup guns that I cold switch to in a pinch if necessary.

Back