Door to door massacre in Miami. (Preparation?)

takes too much time, where as kicking a door just takes a second.
The doors must be a softer in America than here. I have seen police taking a few minutes trying to get through a door with a purpose built hammer and it was just a normal PVC door.

If you wish to share how you prepare, feel free

He woulda never got to my door. The dogs would go off, I reach to my left pick up either my 30-30 or the shotgun as both are out. The bedroom has a springer loaded. The outside has floods kick on if anything walks by. Where I live folks dont come by, I live outside the city in Gods country :) and by God it will be defended :) lol

Last guy came out got into garages stole stuff had a handgun, the deputies got his butt and locked it up.

The doors must be a softer in America than here. I have seen police taking a few minutes trying to get through a door with a purpose built hammer and it was just a normal PVC door.

Maybe the doors are the same, but the cops are softer over there? :D

We are talking about a guy from Wyoming, after all.

I've kicked open doors before. It took me a couple of tries, but I'm not a professional, I was just in a hurry.

I think anyone worrying about this the first thing they should do is get a stronger door. I will not be walking about in the house carrying a firearm for something that probably will never happen. Apart from that the wife would think I had lost the plot.

My wife wouldn't know the difference. I put it in my pocket every morning when I get dressed, along with my wallet and keys. I carry outside the house. Why would I bother to take the gun out of my pocket every time I come home?

Purposefully strapping a gun on when I leave the house would just seem paranoid.

Good points gentlemen. However, I'm just discussing in a general sense. I'm not asking how I should personally prepare.

Just curious what my buddies on here would do to prepare for such a scenario.

And for the ones who called me crazy for my 24/7 carrying self.

Train and mindset - it seems the OP wants a discussion of what megablaster to deploy so you can John McClane the guys.

Have good doors, locks, windows, alarms, dogs - or whatever to delay entry. Have lock on the bedroom door.

Train to avoid fear, freeze responses and have good processes programmed in for appropriate actions.

If someone just materializes in your door with a gun pointed at you - you could be toting any old gun and you are shot dead. Even a Taurus Judge in each hand won't save you.

I take my pistol off when I get home, but I do keep it within an arms distance.

For apartment preparation, I've never liked the flimsy little chains on the door. Something like this seems a little sturdier. Then again, this also seems like a good thing to use.

I used the first one in my apartment when I still lived in CA after we had an attempted break in. Installed it with 3 inch screws, the whole apartment shook if we forgot it was in place and tried to open the door, that thing was solid.

I carry whenever I'm awake. It has NOTHING to do with wanting to John McClane any bad guys, despite my belief that Die Hard is the greatest action movie of all time.

I keep the door locked. There are no plants near the outside of the windows. The residence is well lit. We live in an area with a low crime index. We have a yappy, protective dog. The doors are reinforced.

That is to say, we understand that defense starts with making yourself an unattractive and inconvenient target.

If someone is determined enough to get in, and given the stated goal of zero violence, then I need a powerful deterrent. If a deterrent doesn't work, only then will I shoot.

My rationale for carrying at home is this simple:
- I'm perfectly comfortable with my carry set up on
- I know people who have needed firearms in their home, including a friend who needed it instantly
- carrying on body is the best way for my firearm to be both accessible, and secure (I have kids).
- given the above note about comfort, there is no good reason for me to NOT carry at home.

Another thought to add to the many already pointed out.

When I'm out and about, there's rarely anything around me that I care to protect. Retreat is almost always an option and almost always the best option. And if something does go wrong in public, it's likely someone will see and summon the authorities who are likely to respond rapidly.

At home, I'm surrounded by things and people I want to protect. Retreat is rarely an option and even if it were, it would be a poor one. Worst of all, if something goes wrong in my home and I can't respond to the threat effectively and rapidly, the odds are good no one will notice anything outside or next door. Homes are intended to be private places and they are.

Even if someone does notice something, the police probably won't respond as rapidly because I'm farther from the center of things in my suburban home than in town.

If anything, it makes far more sense to carry at home than it does in public. Maybe the odds are lower that you'll need it at home, but if you do, the need will likely be far more urgent and your options far less varied than in public.

I ain't buying that one bit. I've kicked doors, it just takes a second to kick a door and be in the living room.
I think anyone worrying about this the first thing they should do is get a stronger door.

in this incident, it depends on the apartment complex. Most apartments don't give the renter an option at upgrading the doors, or windows.

as for preparation, I don't see any harm in being prepared in your own home however you choose. When I read this story earlier this week it opened my eye to home invasions.
It can happen at the mall... the movies... the college... and your own home/community.

I carry when I leave home. Unless I'm going somewhere it's illegal.

Or unless I don't want to.

I never carry at home.

I've been carjacked. I was armed, didn't need the weapon, never felt particularly endangered.

I carry on body at home and when I am out. If I'm in the shower, it's nearby as well. When sleeping, it's on nightstand. If I get up during the night for something, I slip one in my robe with me. To find me going "baaaa" is only done when there is a law in place preventing me from carrying and it's somewhere I really have to be.
Being that my EDC is similar to the 1911 platform and I keep my 1911 on my nightstand, I keep both in Condition 1.

But when I think of how it could happen in an instant that someone could be in this house, between me and my kids and my firearms are in another room, or just where I can't get to for whatever reason, and I am helpless to protect them.... Y'all only think everything you've heard about redheads and tempers are true.... My blood pressure goes up.

So yes.. around here, mama is always carrying.

I own my home and live in a semi country setting, I only have one close neighbor. So my approach to home security is I have two doberman pinschers that are fully trained guard dogs. They alert when someone comes close to my house, even if they are walking down the street in front of the house. So I will know immediately if anyone is close. I feel that gives me plenty of time to retrieve my firearm if I need it, first the person would have to get passed the two dogs. I have two so I can at times take one with me and still have one at home protecting my house. I walk them around the neighborhood so every one knows I have them. I have not had any security problems since I bought the dogs.

redhologram said:
or just where I can't get to for whatever reason, and I am helpless to protect them

Most trainers will tell you that mindset is the most important means of surviving a lethal confrontation. You'll find that neither a weapon nor the most awesome martial skills will do you any good once you've decided that you're "helpless" and all is lost.

Probably a good justification to keep a firearm on you at all times if you feel "helpless" without one.

Hey kraigwy or anyone else who has extensive experience kicking in doors, I have a question for you: I own an apartment on the 5th floor so my only vulnerable point of entry is the front door. I've got one of those metal fireproof doors that seems very solid, the frame is metal as well. Have you had any experience kicking in that kind of a door and how did it perform? I'd like to know if I need to upgrade the door or will this metal door hold up for some time? I would like to not test this on my own door so that's why I'm asking here, thank you kindly!

Only time the guns come off is when I'm in the bathtub, its an old iron enameled claw foot, with side-plates for a good book... and a couple of 45s.

People have been killed in showers, can't hear nothing, gun on toilet... good luck with that.

People should relax with a nice long soak.

Paranoid? ... not when I'm packin.

Everybody's situation is different so I'm not going to judge or criticise anyone, but when I come home from work I like to lay down on the couch and watch TV. I can't afford to fall asleep with a loaded gun on the coffee table next to me even if it is only two feet away. I have way too many small children running around. My guns stay in a safe.

While crime can and does happen all over, I believe you still have to consider your area when planning. I live on the top floor apartment in a nicer area. Can something happen? Yeah. Do I get my gun or at least a knife in hand when I get a knock at 10:30 at night? Yep. However, both times, it's been a friend of the frat boys below me who had the wrong apartment.

Yes, it can happen, but the risk factor is low enough for me that I don't feel justified to keep it at hand 24/7. If I lived in a "higher risk" area, I would probably be prepared differently.

Back