Door bell rang at 2am, called the police

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 87 YO mother who lives by herself,once had her doorbell ring and door knocked on in the day. She does have steel security doors( first thing she did after fathers passing). Without opening the outer see through security she asked what he wanted. He never would give her a clear answer and kept saying "just open the door and I can tell you". She explained she didn't want any!! Still being persistent and not leaving she went to bedroom and retrieved a 12ga shotgun from wall. When he saw the barrel coming at him and her telling him to get outta here... He quickly took her advice this time.

Generally in that particular situation I slip out the backdoor with a holstered handgun and come around from the side where I can get a better view of what the situation is. THEN I decide whether or not to dial 911.

I use to live out in the sticks, and I remember a particular instance where one of the people who owned the house I was staying at called the police about some individuals who showed up at the house after dark demanding to know where her son was. I was there and fetched a gun, as I fetched a gun, those individuals left. The police did show up, about 45 minutes later.

So the moral of the story is not to feel bashful especially when you are the one paying the property tax bill. Let the police investigate these unusual occurrences and bumps in the night.
Sure, call the cops any time you have even the slightest uneasy feeling, or whenever you hear any thing that spooks you.

Of course the cops will quickly label you as the guy who "cries wolf".
And before long calls from your home will be on the bottom of the priority list.

"Yeah, it's that guy on Soandso lane...again."

"I guess we had better go and check it out."

"Sure, but there's no rush...he calls all the time and it's always nothing. Let's swing by the coffee shop first."

"Good idea! I could use some coffee and pie right about now. And Judy is working tonight too."

Don't go it alone with pistol in hand like John Wayne and get yourself in legal trouble making all us firearm owners look bad in the process.
Dude, you're just answering the door bell, not waging war against an evil cattle baron and his thirty henchmen!

And what kind of legal trouble do you think you're going to get in to by answering the door while armed?
What state do you live in anyway?

Of course the cops will quickly label you as the guy who "cries wolf".
And before long calls from your home will be on the bottom of the priority list.

You're right. We keep a list down at the station house. Anyone that calls about a knock on the door at 2am gets on the list. From then on, we go get donuts before coming out for anything.

Sgt Lumpy

You're right. We keep a list down at the station house. Anyone that calls about a knock on the door at 2am gets on the list. From then on, we go get donuts before coming out for anything.
Hey, it's called "community policing"...and cops do get to know their community.

And for the record, you're the one that mentioned donuts, not me! :D

One must assume that the doorbell ringing at 2am cannot be a good thing, so, any defensive actions on the home owners part, short of shooting through the door, are prudent.

Not according to the VP.

Anyway - so if you call at 2:00 AM, the police think you are nuts. Not a good advertisement. I can see if you do it repeatedly for strange noises but a knock is real and I find that view not really acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back