Door bell rang at 2am, called the police

Status
Not open for further replies.
An intercom is a good idea; a security camera is a better idea. If you answer the intercom, unidentified person knows you're home. With a security cam, you can observe your doorway area without unidentified person knowing whether you are there or not - and you can do so from any room in your home (web-based cams are available that allow you to monitor a camera from any web-connected device).

I simply don't understand why anyone would feel the need to answer the door to someone they don't know and aren't expecting. Your door is the primary device separating you from things which might do you harm. Why would you let someone through it unless you're quite sure who they are and why they are there?

Last edited:
*knock-knock*

Who's there?

"Uh, yeah man. Can I borrow a towel-my car just hit a water buffalo"

"Hello- 911? Hey, hows it goin'? Yeah, some guy I don't know just knocked on my door at 2:00 AM and said he just got into an accident"

Curiosity is a powerful force, but one we should be able to monitor and control. If someone unknown to me is knocking on my door at 2:00- it sounds like they need the help of the Police, or Fire, or AAA.

How did I find out I don't know them? I asked from behind a closed door. I'm under no obligation to open my door to anyone. Battery is dead? AAA. Cars in the ditch? AAA and Police. Etc.

Just because you have a gun doesn't mean you'll emerge victorious from a struggle for control of it.

Depends on your area. Calling 911 because someone rang your doorbell at 2 AM would be an overreaction, IMO. Calling 911 because someone is pounding on your door trying to get in, different story. In either case, I'd grab a gun and light and look through my cameras before doing anything else.

Seriously guys, most of y'all spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on your toys every year. Why not spend $100 on a wireless camera that hooks to your computer? What, you're a total Luddite? Ok, spend $100 on a wireless baby monitor camera aimed at your door, instead.

"...if you can't see who is there is talk loudly through the door."

"I asked from behind a closed door."

Be sure to be away from the door, (off to the side of the door), recall a case where a woman was shot dead thru a door. During my little episode, I was 10 feet from the door sitting in a sofa chair off to the side, in a blind spot.

MLeake's point re an intercom is good, and csmsss' post pretty much nails it.

As a kid when we slept out in the back yard we had on occasion played ding dong ditch during the night. Ring and run

Just makes me so glad I don't live in town. For my doorbell to ring at 2AM would require some carpenter and electrical work to install a bell which I'm sure would set the stage for an interesting confrontation. This area is still mostly "knock and wait" . "Call the police" would get a response as noted before-maybe about daylight.
If someone hammers on my door at 2AM, I'll answer after doing a careful "look,see" with my nightstand pistol loaded and ready. Around here the more likely scenario would be the visitor sitting in the driveway honking the vehicle horn until a light came on inside the house. My grown kids wouldn't even come to the house at that hour w/o calling first.

To be absolutely safe, after the doorbell ring or knocking, empty about 15-20 rounds of 7.62x39 through the door first before opening. Use a figure 8 pattern. Should be clear then, but its best to save 10-15 extra rounds just incase after opening to be sure. Guaranteed to stop those annoying late night/ early morning disruptions. :))

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOa7sLXv_bY

Not the best tactic...

Closest I ever came to this situation was a knock on my door by a woman at 9AM, I had never seen her in my building before and I was very careful opening the door. Mindful of some kind of a trick I actually have my P229, in hand, behind my back(easy to hide, I am a biggg guy) the whole time. The woman was drunk or high or something, dressed in PJ's and said she needed matches and asked if I "smoke", I told her I had no matches and I didnt "smoke" and she went away.

I hope he has been caught and receives a daily big dose of jailhouse justice. That woman may not ever get over the terror of that. She and the family is very lucky she wasn't killed.
I also keep a loaded gun in my bathroom feeling that's where I might be most defenseless

I hope he has been caught and receives a daily big dose of jailhouse justice. That woman may not ever get over the terror of that. She and the family is very lucky she wasn't killed.
I also keep a loaded gun in my bathroom feeling that's where I might be most defenseless

Funny. Jut got home from work and about to shower.

9utyta7y.jpg

Funny. Jut got home from work and about to shower.
Now, some may think that extreme-I don't. My EDC goes with me everywhere in the house, whether it's on my holster, or, if in jammies, in my hand. Why be ill-prepared while you're sitting on the can? Or watching TV? It's simply normal now, for me and the wife.

I usually CCW most all the time and always on night stand next to bed. If someone came to my door at 2-3am and truly did need help I would do everything to do so. However these days it's hard to say what people's motives may be. I had taken my daughter to college downtown once when I didn't have my CCW by chance. On the way back a crazed crack head hsving a bad day didn't like the way I changed lanes and tried to come and drag me out of car at red light. Turned green and I left. I Never go anywhere without it now.
The bathroom is the only place I didn't have access to one till I thought about being on house alone and being latterly be caught with my pants down. Especially in shower or jacuzzi tub.
I'm watching 20/20 now about a heavily armed man at home killed with a knife in his bathroom.

There were some thugs in my area that were doing break-ins and home invasions. The way they did it was knock or ring the doorbell if nobody answered, kick the door and rush in and clean the place out. If somebody answered, they had fake deputy badges and would get he home owners to open the door. They would the beat the home owners and subdue them and rob the place. The last I heard, they are still awaiting trial. People are getting more desperate and mean. The sad part is, I knew who one of the guys was. He came from a good household. They were middle class and always had nice stuff and his parents had good jobs. He got to messing with dope. Meth changed him.

The way they did it was knock or ring the doorbell if nobody answered, kick the door and rush in and clean the place out. If somebody answered, they had fake deputy badges and would get he home owners to open the door.

This is why I have security bars on all doors. It buys that extra few seconds (actually A LOT more than a few seconds 'cause I had to "break into" my own home once).

I almost NEVER answer my door. IF I'm home and do answer the door and a couple of guys flash badges, I would call 911 to confirm 'em. If they start kicking at the door AFTER I tell 'em that I am calling 911 to confirm 'em, shots are going to fired - and it will all be on video.

Nanny Cam home invader caught and they have thrown the book at him with charges...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/28/shawn-custis-arrested-for_n_3519296.html

Geez! How did the scumbag get into the house? Just by ringing on the doorbell?

Nope. You see ringing the doorbell alone doesn't open doors. They just allow the person on the porch to announce their presence. Nope, this guy got in via a typical entry method. He kicked in the door. So my post was to address two issues. First was the notion brought up above that home invasions usually happen at night. They might be more common them, but they are certainly common in the daytime. The second issue is that a ringing doorbell isn't an emergency. Kicking in a door is. However, he very well could have rung the doorbell, right, but it would apparently be a daytime ringing and apparently that would make it a much safer experience since a common notion expressed here is that a doorbell at night is a crisis. Nobody here seems interested in calling 911 when their doorbell rings in the daytime.

Bad guys don't just operate at night.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/25/millburn-home-invasion-video_n_3495317.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back