don’t even want to get another revolver anymore...

I don't buy "new" guns. But I have bought several "used" revolvers that were all but new. Smith & Wesson's all, and all I'm thinking of had the lock and the dreaded MIM parts. I didn't see a thing wrong with those guns. Fit, finish, performance all was equal to or maybe better than the classic ones I've owned. The finish might have been different, but there have been differences in the finish over the years anyway. I know I've had a 21, 24, and 27 all with locks, and still have a 642 Ladysmith.

Now I sold all but the 642, which is my wife's gun actually. There was nothing wrong with them, I was just ready to move on to something else, or simply reducing my inventory.

I AM considering a new, in the box Model 27...I'm not sure which "dash" they're up to now, simply because I haven't bought a NIB Smith & Wesson since about 1979. A "new" 27 is less expensive than a classic one, and they have a 4" barrel available that is pretty rare in the classic 27's. I'm sort of a sucker for a 4" barrel.

Sure, I'll check it out before I buy it, but then I'd do that before I bought a cheap 22 rifle.

Cost cutting with every revision, poor qc, regulatory features, spend big bucks on a revolver that is a shadow of its former glory.

So, the obvious answer is to not buy the current revolvers and only buy the revolvers that were made when the quality was high. Personally, none of my Smith and Wessons were made after 1981. No MIM parts, no crush fit barrels, no 2 piece barrels, and no Hillary hole.

And if you finally find a nice vintage one you don’t want to ruin it by shooting it.

For the life of me, I don't understand how you can ruin a revolver by shooting it. The only thing you should do with a collectable revolver that you want to maintain in pristine condition is to not holster it. Inserting and removing a revolver from a holster over time will wear on the bluing. With the Smith and Wessons made in the 70's and earlier, take care of them and watch them appreciate in value.

Don

MIM parts

Have we not already fully de-bunked that MIM parts are perfectly acceptable in some applications? Jet engines have tons of MIM parts, along with cars and virtually all other modern production machines.

I've bought a New Vaquero and an SP101 in the past year. Both have excellent fit & finish just like my Single 6, Blackhawk, & Service 6 (1959, 1968, 1975 respectively).

Have we not already fully de-bunked that MIM parts are perfectly acceptable in some applications?

Nope! Heck, plastic is perfectly acceptable to a lot of guys, just not this guy. Forged steel and pinned barrels thank you.

Don

Have we not already fully de-bunked that MIM parts are perfectly acceptable in some applications? Jet engines have tons of MIM parts, along with cars and virtually all other modern production machines.

That doesn’t mean we have to accept it.

I’m curious what the definition of “vintage” is? I know what antique is and that gets stretched quite a bit.

The bulk of my firearms collection are in the 20-50 year old range yet I’m not calling them vintage because they’re the guns I grew up with, I prefer familiar to vintage :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "good" revolvers are getting pretty old at this point. Hard to buy one sight unseen as there's usually something wrong with a 60's-80's revolver at this point. NIB examples are too expensive to use as shooters and it's really hard to find a really good, tight, classic S&W at some sort of reasonable price.

Howdy Again

I am continually amazed at how one defines 'old' revolvers. 1960s to 1980s? Surely you jest.

This is an old revolver. A S&W New Model Number Three that left the factory in 1896. Making it a bone fide antique. When I was examining it prior to buying it, I found a small defect in one of the chambers. The dealer said that he did not think anybody would shoot it, so it did not matter. I looked at him and told him I would be shooting it.

New%20Model%20Number%20Three%20Blue%2031022%2001_zpsmbzqn4z8.jpg

Or this 38/44 Outdoorsman from 1933. Yup, it has a turn line and tiny bit of wear. If it was pristine it would have cost a huge amount.

38-44%20Outdoorsman%2001_zpskykl0hpb.jpg

Or a couple of K-38s from the 1950s, one complete with really funky grips.

2k38s01_zps999e86b4.jpg

Or the best shooting 22 revolver I own, a K-22 from 1932. I got it for a song because the grips are wrong and there is a lot of wear to the blue from somebody's trigger finger resting above the trigger guard for all those years. Best shooting 22 revolver I own. None of the "collectors" was interested because of the condition of the finish and the grips, so I got it for under $500. (I'm a collector too. Just not as picky as some)

K%2022%201932%2001_zpsvyvgivt0.jpg

Regarding the earlier conversation about MIM parts, I am completely familiar with why they are made, and how much less expensive they are to put into a gun. I just don't care for them.

But 1960s through 1980s guns being defined as old? Not for this cowboy.

Buying a revolver (or any kind of firearm) sight unseen? Wouldn't dream of it. If I can't handle it and work the action for myself, I don't even look twice.

I buy new revolvers all the time. I just don't expect the same things from a new Ruger as I do a 50 year old Smith and Wesson. Not better or worse just different.

I have an 66-1 and a 686-4 and 2 new 642's and a new 637.
And the J frames have the safety hole:eek:
Not a problem with any of them.
Thinking about a new 3-4 inch 7 shot 686.

Newer revolvers don't bother me. I have several from the 2000's and 2010's, and they all work just as well as the revolvers that I have from the 60's.

If other's don't like the newer revolvers I'll fine with that. I was just in a pawn shop a month ago where a guy was drooling over a Model 19 listed for a great price but kept saying "If it was an older model I'd be all over this". It was a 19-7 from 95ish in great condition and I sure didn't have a problem making an offer and taking it home with me.

The local Rural King has a decent selection of revolvers,but they aren't allowed to remove the trigger lock until the purchase. Makes it impossible to check timing and trigger pull.

I have never bought a used firearm in 40 years of collecting and shooting unless I could function test it. I would be unable to buy anything from them ever.:)

Would have to agree that I am at least disenchanted. Compared to others comments about their experiences, I must be really unlucky, not in the sense of having poor guns but in having to fight my way through returns for rework and gunsmithing, including frustratingly long periods of being without the gun.

One of my main tribulations is rifling not suitable for lead bullets (newer S&W) and Ruger's chronic issues with cylinders.

I will gladly purchase S&W and Ruger wheel guns. New or old. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never sent a revolver in for service.

My newest gun, a S&W 637-2 works like a charm. Even with MIM parts and a safety lock. I probably have about 1000 rounds through it.

My old S&W's and Rugers are absolutely fantastic and have never let me down.

Ruger

While S&W put out some very fine guns over the years I hate the side safety and prefer Ruger Revolvers these days. My last revolver was a 454 Casull Super Blackhawk limited edition with the 5 shot cylinder just because. I wouldn't mind a match champion if money improves.

Quote:
I too like the older s&w revolvers.....I have a 17-3 coming today!

Older revolvers again.

I bought my Model 17-3 brand-spanky new in 1975. It cost $125.

I guess that makes me 'older' too.

Yep, maybe not old, but definitely "older".

Don

After a 'delay' and the waiting period done, I'm set to pick up my new New Model Super Blackhawk .44 blued/short bbl ( 4.62" ).
I've seen and held it, but I couldn't take it home yet then.
It looks to be just fine!

Will report back.

Not sure if y’all share the same sentiment. Cost cutting with every revision, poor qc, regulatory features, spend big bucks on a revolver that is a shadow of its former glory. And if you finally find a nice vintage one you don’t want to ruin it by shooting it. The only consolation? CS is on overdrive and will take care of you. Is this what the revolvers market has turned into?

The semi auto market in this regard is doing somewhat better.
The only new hand guns I've bought in the last 10 years that has given trouble and had to go back for repairs has been an auto loader. All of the revolvers I have purchased have been flawless.

Back