Dog The Bounty Hunter...

You know, its kind of funny. Threads like this make me feel okay about not having cable tv, LOL......

Bail enforcement types run the gamut. Some are ex cons. Some are ex cops. Some are rambo or Mike Hammer wannabes. Some are college guys doing it for extra money while they try to get into law school or whatever.
Fortunately, I have not seen this show, so I can;t make any comment on it.

In some states, where open carry is legal bail enforcement types will wear tac gear and vests and whatever gun the local LE officers carry in thigh rigs to sort of trick people into thinking they are the cops.
Some states bail enforcement officers have CCW permits and carry concealed. Other states they are as well heeled as this Dog character and are SOL if the bullets start flying.
I seem to remember a book about Ralph Poppa Thorsson going into detail about bounty hunting back in the seventies. Probably the most realistic depiction I can think of would have been Midnight Run with Robert De Niro and Charles Grodin.

I wonder what's going to happen when ol' Dog kicks in the wrong door and he and his mullethead crew get well and truly lit up?

Since alot of what he does.....

could be construed by an innocent homeowner as threatening. I'm also
suprised he hasn't been shot. Even here in the PRNJ, if he forces himself
in a residence, and isn't a cop..................Just say to the police "He
pushed his way in he's not a police officer, and I felt in fear of my life"

oushing their way in....

I believe (I may be wrong as I am pulling from memory) that bounty hunters have different rights.

It would have to be looked at on a state by state level.
In Texas and Florida (the 2 states I know of that have Castle Doctrine) I wouldn't suggest going into someone's house!

But, IIRC, they have the right to trespass and enter a person's home for the purpose of collecting their bounty.

They only have the right to trespass if the home in question is the residence of the person they're after. They have that right because thier target gave them that power when he signed the bail bond contract. Some states will allow them to enter another residence if they know thier target is there. They cannot, however, trespass just to poke and see if somebody is around because his sister dated your third cousin's uncle's roommate ten years ago and they think he might be hiding in your closet.

In any event, when bail agents are kicking down your door my best advice would be to shoot first and ask questions later. I would most definitely consider an armed assault on my home by bounty hunters to be an immediate threat to my safety, and I'd prefer to be the one left alive to do the explaining when the police get there to clean up the pieces.

If you signed the bond. You got out of jail. You don't show up for your hearing. You are a fugitive. There will be a bench warrant issued. If a hunter shows up at your door. And says who he is before he comes in. And you light him up. Most likely you will get your ticket punched with another charge. This one might get you the needle. But, you do what you gotta do. Regards

Ok.

Different angle.

You have bounty hunters knocking on your door, you have bigger problems.
I have not heard of one story (please enlighten me) of a bounty hunter kicking in a door he/she wasn't supposed to.

the dog

ive seen the show in where he carries the big bottle of pepper spray but he needs to carry a big bottle of fake spray on hair for his head! if he was over here in the big cities like new york and chicago or atlanta he would of been shot buy now or robbed or even raped by the inner city thug gangs

Good link there, Lawdog.

Being a law abiding citizen who doesn't have any fugitives residing in the house, I most certainly would light up anybody who kicked in the door unless they were real LEOs. If somebody forces thier way into my home claiming to be a "bail agent" I would treat as them home invaders. The fact is that I wouldn't even know if they are legit and I'm not going to risk my life on it. Better safe than sorry I say.

Lawdog, good post and thank you.
Not much recently though. (Within 5 years) I wonder why the intense reports in the late 80s and mid to late 90s and then nothing.

I admit, if a "bounty" hunter came banging THROUGH my door, I would probably not allow him/her to do so.

I watched the HBO show "family Bonds" and those bonds men never used guns either. What with the unarmed bounty hunters. I know one guy who does bail bonds and he goes loaded for duck.

Not much recently though. (Within 5 years) I wonder why the intense reports in the late 80s and mid to late 90s and then nothing.
There was a crackdown on bounty hunters toward the end of the 90s. After some headline screw-ups, some states passed laws putting restrictions on how they operated. Some of the bounty hunters that operated on the edge of legality were busted and/or sued out of business.

Lawdog, good post and thank you.

I believe, although I am not sure, the list I posted was put together in late 2000 or early 2001.

LawDog

****ing lawyers.

these stories are all pretty bad...but not everyone in the bail enforcement profession is scum. i'm a middle class, well educated, non-criminal record, law- abiding citizen. the bottom line is that there simply aren't enough cops to go track down and arrest everybody that doesn't bother appearing for court. and for the people that said they would light up bounty hunters kicking your door in, well you don't strike me as the kind of people that would be housing fugitives. 5 minutes away in oakland (the mog), cops and bounty hunters are unfortunately high-potential for getting a firstful of 9 milly when knocking on a door...

basically though, for the most part, we're on the good side.

I'm willing to admit that bounty hunters do provide a useful service, there seems to be a HUGE potential for abuse, and what's really scary about all the listings in Lawdog's post is the general lack of consequences for the mistakes.

If anything like that happened to me, I'd be pressing charges and suing everything in sight, and maybe arranging for a little 'bounty hunting' of my own. :barf:

granted if a bounty hunter annouces himself...

at my residence I'm going to tell him I'm armed, and that we can sort everything out when the police arrive, btw their on the way. I think thats
the best way to handle it. If he insists on pressing home an assault on
my home with out annoucing himself.....well sorry guy....but I've got
a wife and three small children to defend.

Back