Does this sound crazy?

Hey Bill, Generalize much? One could say that using the internet to sell knives is covering up for poor salesmanship...but anyway.

I am considered an excellent marksman, but not all SD situations happen in the daytime, and my eyes are getting old, so why not use some technology to help out.

Last edited:
Glow sights and lasers are crutches for bad marksmanship.

Night sights are absolutely not a crutch in any regard. Not a single defensive shooting expert, school, police, SWAT, or military unit would agree with that statement.

Lasers? I'd consider them a crutch if you're relying on them and you're not the guy behind the ballistic shield clearing a building.

If it's too dark to see regular sights, isn't it also too dark to identify if the target is a threat?
It seems like a flash light would be an easy and safe alternative.
Eh, Wot??
If anyone is thinking the flashlight lights up the scene, but not the sights, there's a solution to that.

I'm sure you are Old Bill, I'm sure you are.

To answer your question g., you cant ever imagine a situation where you might not be able to see your sights clearly but the BG may be in better lighting??? Really!

Eh, Wot?

(FYI, I also use a flashlight.)

So....you are saying that guns shouldn't have sights because if people practiced enough they wouldn't need them?

At least that original OB.

save your money, if you really need it you will be pointing and shooting That's why real carry revolvers don't even have sights

No, I'm saying that people should practice enough that they don't need sights.
Cant argue with that. Its not an "everything" type of thing, but at ranges 10 yards and in (and its actually very doable at longer ranges), it is a very valuable and necessary skill to have. Anyone who is serious about their shooting, knows this, and practices it.

Im not discounting tritium either, I have them on most of my handguns, and full well know their value. But Bill is right in what hes saying about unsighted shooting.

Does this sound crazy?
I'm an old miser on a budget so...

...instead of buying night sights and a sight pusher for my Shield, I'm thinking of drilling out my factory sights and installing tritium vials in them.

I have found the vials and glue online for under $30 so I don't see why not.

Am I missing something?

Yes, it sounds crazy.

I don't think it's realistic, but then again I don't know you nor your capabilities. If you do a little googling, you can find other people have successfully completed similar projects.

If you are at least a hobby machinist and think you can properly locate and drill such small holes, it's worth a try. If you have to charge up your cordless drill first, you may wish to reconsider.

Back