Does this sound crazy?

If you can't see your sights, then you can't see your target and shouldn't be shooting. Putting something on a gun that you KNOW will wear out in less than 10 years is silly, IMO. Down with tritium (and batteries).

To me the purpose of night sights is for faster and more accurate target acquisition. If you can't see your target you need a standalone or weapon mounted flashlight.

That has to be one of the most confusing and meaningless pieces of federal hogwash I have ever seen. It sounds official, but (unless something is missing) says nothing at all and does so in an ungrammatical manner.

I worked for the DoD for some 35 years, and if I had written something like that, my boss would have sent me to a remedial writing course.

Jim

Oh it gets "better". Try "Legally disposing of" the old dim ones.

"Controlled disposal of used radioactive isotopes" is the term. You are required to "safely" dispose of them through "The Appropriate Disposal Channels" for "any nucular (sic) waste".

Only one problem, there isn't one that anyone can find, much less use. & there is no indication which department is "an appropriate channel":eek:

I've tried the fire department, HazMat disposal & contacted the City, County, State & Federal toxic disposal people, everyone tells me to contact someone else.:confused:

No problem though in about 4,500 years it'll decay to the point of no longer being radioactive as Helium3 & I can just fling it in the trash!:)

Last edited:
Only one problem, there isn't one that anyone can find, much less use. & there is no indication which department is "an appropriate channel"

I believe you are supposed to send them back to the manufacturer (e.g. Trijicon, Truglo, etc.)

The problem with this type of regulation is that it has to apply to the tritium vial on a watch hand and a stainless steel cylinder of gaseous tritium. It is hard to write regulation that has to cover a wide variety of consumer and industrial uses.

It would be easier if the NRC would just regulate tritium ownership by the activity amount and make anything under a certain activity level exempt, but it wouldn't be Washington D.C. then would it?

Little known fact. The stainless steel transportation containers for tritium gas are extremely strong. As tritium gas decays, the daughter product is monatomic helium. Since hydrogen/tritium is a diatomic molecule, the pressure of the vessel increases as it decays since the number of gas molecules from the decay doubles.

My read of the quoted regulation is that it does not apply to an individual who uses a tritium vial in his own sight for his own use. No sale, no distribution ==> no violation.

Beyond that, I would argue that the regulation is aimed at companies who actually work with raw tritium. I think it's a misnomer to refer to a bit of tritium enclosed in a sealed glass tube as "raw." The company that puts the tritium into the vials is the manufacturer. Once in the vials, the tritium is in an end-user product.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, and I never worked for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

O4L said:
Have you tried it on a Shield?

From what I understand, they are pretty difficult to remove by that method.

Dovetailed sight is a dovetailed sight. People have been changing / adjusting dovetailed sights for a long time without special tools.

Padded bench top vice. Allen wrench for the Shield rear sight, Plastic or rubber mallet, and brass punch should do the trick.

You might put a little tape of the side of the slide to protect the finish when hammering on the sights.

Quote:
If you can't see your sights, then you can't see your target and shouldn't be shooting. Putting something on a gun that you KNOW will wear out in less than 10 years is silly, IMO. Down with tritium (and batteries).
There are lots of low-light scenarios where you can make out a target but can't clearly see the sights well enough for proper alignment.

The Trijicons that came on my Glock 23 lasted over 15 years. and most are guaranteed for more than 10

I've heard good things about this sight pusher.

http://www.sightpusher.com/

I tend to buy the factory pushers, but this is a whole lot cheaper if you own multiple handguns from different manufactures.
Similar designs can be bought on eBay for less than $30. But, I went the brass punch route on my S&W SD9VE, worked fine.

Which might even work if it wasn't illegal to mail radioactive materials.

Not true. You can send tritium sights along with far more radioactive materials via USPS without a problem.

Technically, the outside of the package has to be marked but I've never seen it done.

Well I just contacted the manufacturer (Stocker & Yale Ltd, now photronics) to see what they suggest. We'll see when & if they reply.

Similar designs can be bought on eBay for less than $30. But, I went the brass punch route on my S&W SD9VE, worked fine.

The sight pusher from Fisher Solutions is made much better than the $30 ones on eBay. They look the same the build quality is vastly different.

The sight pusher from Fisher Solutions is made much better than the $30 ones on eBay. They look the same the build quality is vastly different.
Yes, I assumed as much; that's why I went with the brass punch (I'm cheap)

Yes, I assumed as much; that's why I went with the brass punch (I'm cheap)

A brass punch is a good solution. Honestly, if you do it right you won't damage anything.

To top it off anyways, sight pushers don't work great with certain pistols.

Ask anyone with a Springfield XD. Taking out the factory sights sometimes requires an small air impact tool.

Well you guys can debate about removing the sights all you want, but that is a moot point.

I am not removing the sights, I am going to modify them by adding the tritium vials.

I plan on getting a Viridian laser, but I am looking at the option of DIY night sights until I have the extra funds to purchase the laser.

Not that my opinion has any value on this subject, it seems to me that tritium sealed in a tiny container with a phosphorescent coating sounds like a finished product. The "vials" aren't used to transport the tritium; they're a functional product in their own right.

I can provide my card as a credentialed Internet BS'er upon request if needed.

"Well you guys can debate about removing the sights all you want, but that is a moot point.

I am not removing the sights, I am going to modify them by adding the tritium vials.

I plan on getting a Viridian laser, but I am looking at the option of DIY night sights until I have the extra funds to purchase the laser."

Maybe you should just practice enough to know where your gun shoots.
Glow sights and lasers are crutches for bad marksmanship.

Back