Does anyone practice feeling their loaded chamber indicator in the dark?

I have no less than 5 hand guns tactically placed and hidden in my house. If I need one, it's right now, so all are locked and loaded. No need to check... Besides, Only the Taurus 24-7 has an indicator... :D

That article Rich mentioned (by Pat Rogers) is excellent, and gives about as simple an answer as there is for why to check (in light or in dark) - "Be sure, always."

Unless you've checked when you pick up your handgun, you aren't totally sure. You may think you are, but you aren't - period

Rogers gives an aircraft analogy which does apply because in the case of both flying and handgun handling, people can lose their lives if the handler isn't sure, always. For example, you always check for water in the fuel/carb, you don't skip it this time simply because you checked last time.

For me, loaded chamber indicators are absolutely worthless and get no use whatsoever. Whenever I unload my defensive pistol for any reason, I always reload it before putting it away for immediate use, either in a holster or the pistol safe. Basically it's always loaded unless I need to unload it for a specific reason (e.g. cleaning), whereupon I'd do a press check for safety rather than relying on some device. During an actual emergency, I know that it will be loaded, so there is no need (and there may be no time anyway) to redundantly check. If for some reason I'm suddenly unsure, then I'd do a press check whenever I feel like it, but never during an emergency.

By the way, the same goes for cocking indicators (for guns that don't have external hammers). Unless I've field-stripped it for cleaning or deliberately deactivated it for some other reason, my defensive pistol is always cocked, period. Unlike all too many people I've seen, I do not have a habit of decocking pistols for no reason, so I don't worry about it--if it's in a holster or the pistol safe, then it's cocked.

Mal H said:
Unless you've checked when you pick up your handgun, you aren't totally sure. You may think you are, but you aren't - period

Admittedly, I still have a habit of doing unnecessary press checks whenever transferring my pistol to a holster or pistol safe, just to be sure. :rolleyes: I chalk it up to having a mild case of obsessive-compulsive disorder ;), but it doesn't hurt. That said, I will never check during an emergency, when I have other things to worry about (if it doesn't fire for any reason, then I'd rack the slide anyway).

Mal H said:
Rogers gives an aircraft analogy which does apply because in the case of both flying and handgun handling, people can lose their lives if the handler isn't sure, always. For example, you always check for water in the fuel/carb, you don't skip it this time simply because you checked last time.

Well, with airplanes any number of things could be screwed up by other people, during flight, or even by the simple passage of time, and generally I don't think that they're kept in a fully ready condition at all times. Defensive pistols are different in that they are kept in a ready condition virtually all of the time (or should be), nothing changes over time by itself (i.e. the cartridge in the chamber isn't going to gradually leak out :D), and access to them is tightly controlled (or should be). I don't think the analogy stands up for defensive pistols--any old firearm that has been lying around in the open for a while or hasn't been handled for some time, yes, but not a personal sidearm that is properly handled.

Last edited:
I don't think the analogy stands up.
The analogy only applies to checking things that are important each time, not airplanes vs firearms. You read far more into it than was intended.

Uh, no. My nightstand gun is loaded. Period. I don't keep it any other way because I don't plan on bringing a poorly-formed club to meet whoever breaks down my door.

I keep my a loaded gun on me when cleaning firearms, usually the 5906 9mm then clean it last. I dont want to be caught with my pants down trying to reassemble my 1911 :eek::eek:.

cambeul41,

Apparently I've offended you in some way. I see I hurt your feelings. For that I offer my most sincere apologies. My bad bro. I feel terrible and if there's anything I can do to make it up to you, please don't hesitate to ask.

Just kidding. I don't really care about your feelings.

May I assume you're one of the guys that uses LCI's? I don't. Apparently you have a problem with that.

I thought I was clear about this (From my post #16:"Safety checks aren't what we're discussing here right?"), but let me try again:

In the one instance I feel an LCI might be an appropriate means of verifying a loaded weapon--dark and quiet house, possible intruder, need to avoid alerting intruder of presence--visual and tactile checks aren't really a good idea. How can you perform a visual check in the dark? Opening the action to feel around can possibly alert an otherwise oblivious BG to your presence and/or intentions. A much better method, in this one specific case, is the radical yet simple load-your-gun-ahead-of-time-and-remember-that-you-have-done-so method. In the unlikely event you only thought you remembered cambering a round, the unexpected click would be only slightly worse than a close quarters visual/tactile check in the dark. Both cases could possibly result in you announcing your presence to the BG.

Get it? Like most responsible, intelligent gun owners, I rely on memory to verify a LOADED weapon. I have never in my life relied on memory alone to verify an UNLOADED weapon.

If you don't understand the difference, you really aren't as safety conscious as you seem to think.

Also, if you always "verify" after "seeing what the indicator says", what the hell is the point in "seeing what the indicator says" in the first place? And after loading the chamber, seeing what the indicator says and finally "verifying", don't you then begin relying on your memory of what you did, saw and verified? The bottom line is, at some point we all MUST rely on memory. I choose to go to memory-only after loading and chambering. You choose to go to memory-only after loading, chambering, seeing what the LCI says, verifying, press checking and looking. To each his own right?

Never... I trust my own instinct more than the Chamber Indicator. And it is common knowledge to always know when your gun is loaded and chambered.

No ... I check my nightstand gun each evening before I turn in; check my carry gun every day before I holster it ... IMHO those things are gimmicks like internal locks and should be avoided ... I trust my eyes way more than some little metal post sticking out of my gun ...

I was taught to press check, and I used to do so daily. I've gotten lax about it. Over the last five or six years I have twice opened an action to find I had been carrying with an empty chamber (or empty revolver!) all day.

I don't think I own a gun with a loaded chamber indicator, except for a couple with a notch in the top of the chamber. And I can't check those by feel. To those who do check their chambers regularly, good for you. I should be doing so.

I am getting older and forgetful, so if I am feeling at all uncomfortable in a situation, I might place my hand in my pocket and feel the chambered indicator edge for confidence that she's ready. I think it is better that my wife not know when I am carrying, so I sometimes grab a holstered gun quickly when she is not looking and just slip it into my pocket. It should be ready, but I just like to discretely check.

Back