Does anyone practice feeling their loaded chamber indicator in the dark?

No, I keep them loaded unless in the safe, and even then I leave some loaded instead of having to cycle ammo. I always have a sticky sign in the case that says, "LOADED."

I would hate to think I would hear something in the night and have to wonder if my gun was loaded.
Jerry

No. But I incidentally don't have a pistol equipped with an LCI. Not purposely, that's just the way it's worked out.

I guess it's nice if your pistol has one, but I think if you keep a pistol for defense, you really need to know if it's loaded or not. If your routine is so sloppy you don't know if your pistol is loaded, that's not what an LCI is for and I don't know how much it will help you, or if you even have any business with a pistol at all.

I think the primary purpose of an LCI is a (hopefully) cheap feature to keep lawyers happy more so than for any intrinsic safety purpose.

My gun's LCI is a tiny slot in the barrel hood: can't feel anything through that.

My $.02: If I am unsure if my gun is loaded (maybe I just woke up from sleepwalking or I just took it back from a space alien, or something equally likely ........ then I'd do a mag change and a modified press check........

"artistic license"....

In the entertainment industry it's called; "artistic license" or "suspended disbelief". ;)

In many film-TV productions, directors/producers/actors/prop masters etc use different methods to propel the story or heighten the drama. Sound FX, CGI(computer images), prop or fake guns, lighting, etc all add to the final scene.
If you ever saw a action or police film/tv production you know there are a lot of complex factors involved.

I do, kind of. I have a habit of sliding my finger over the slide when I adjust my holster or just desk the need to make sure the gun is still there...I know it is, obviously, but it's nice to give it a tape from time to time. I carry an DE which has a great loaded chamber indicator that is super easy to feel.

I'm very much in the habit of checking my chamber to verify it's condition.

I realize that packing an unloaded gun around all day has never happened to so many on the board who hand out advice, but I check my chamber on a regular basis.

And yes, I use a simple method that can easily and quickly feel the round in the dark.

If others feel that they couldn't possibly have, somehow, forgot to make their pistol ready and that "it's always loaded-no need to check", than that's their call.

I suspect such individuals would jump out of air planes without checking their parachute harness or static line, because they're always ready to go. Or drive off without checking their trailer hitch, 'cause it was ok last time they used it.

In addition, for those who dry fire a lot with snap caps, a visual check before you leave the house is a good idea, since an A-Zoom in the chamber wouldn't be of much use and just feeling the round wouldn't detect it. :cool:

Last edited:
I know my gun is loaded but it just feels a little reassuring to rub my hand across the LCI. I even press it firmly so if it was unloaded but stuck I would know. This is after a couple visual checks which are the safest and most surefire way to know if your firearm is loaded.

I remember my grandpa saying that the only way he unloads his gun is a few seconds before a reload. His stays loaded 24/7. Mine typically do also unless I'm cleaning it or showing it.

Mine typically do also unless I'm cleaning it or showing it.

Ah, yes. And prudent it would be to check it before you arm yourself to make sure you loaded it back up after you cleaned it.

Our minds will play tricks on us. We'll start to do something then get distracted--such as when the phone rings--and our minds "remember" doing it, when in fact we only started to, but never did. That's happened to each and every one of us, though maybe not with loaded guns----yet.

A high % of NDs happen after one finishes dry firing, loads the gun back up, sets it back down, then when the gun owner comes back from doing something else and sees the gun sitting there, he picks it up to resume "dry" firing and the gun goes bang.

We should ALWAYS check the gun when we pick it up after it's been sitting to verify it's in the condition we want it in.

I always thought that was gun safety 101, and checking our life saving equipment to make sure it's loaded is just part of that.

Just my thoughts on the matter.:cool:

I sure would hate to have to start checking my gun in the dark when I thought an intruder was attempting entry or had already entered.

Again, I leave it loaded and never unload it except for the occasional check and clean. That is not even once a month. My bedside gun is a Mak. It is in a fanny pack beside my bed, and if I had to roll off the bed I do not want to start checking to see if it loaded. The fanny pack is unzipped, but available if I get a knock on the door.

Anyway, I suspect none of us will ever really need to repel an intruder in the middle of the night. At least not me with my security doors.

Regards,
Jerry

I don't own any guns with loaded chamber indicators that you can feel.
I keep my carry guns loaded but always double check visually before I put one into use, either for carry or nightstand duty.

I sure would hate to have to start checking my gun in the dark when I thought an intruder was attempting entry or had already entered.

Good grief. If you're referring to my posts, I didn't mention any specific tactics with regards to when and where you should do a chamber check. And certainly didn't suggest that the first thing you should do when Bubba breaks down your door at 3AM is grab your pistol and see if it's loaded.

Just saying that knowing how to quickly verify that your gun is loaded in daylight or dark is a simple and basic practice and useful in a number of circumstances.

It's taught in Farnum's courses to everyone--- newbies and experienced shooters alike. A smimple technique that works with any semi-auto on the planet.

OK, now tell me honestly, some of you "my gun's always loaded I don't need to check it" folks that if a Sheriff Deputy knocked on your day and said they were searching for two dangerous criminals in your neighborhood that you wouldn't verify that your pistol was loaded after you strapped it on. And then checked your long gun.

Last edited:
Well, I haven't practiced this in low/no-light but am familiar with the loaded chamber indicators on my Glocks by tactile feel alone. All the rest of my handguns require press checking.

RedNeckChris in post 16 --

Where did you earn your degree in psychology?

A lot of people have died because someone thought they knew a gun was unloaded. An unexpected click can be as bad as an unexpected bang.

My gun is always loaded with one in the chamber -- but I check anyway. I see what the indicator says, then I verify. I don't compulsively check and when the dog-alarm goes off, I am thinking about other things. Do you have a problem with that?

If you always trust memory and never check, please stay on your side or the river.

A convert of sorts

After following this thread, I found myself checking my LCI before holstering this morning. It wasn't in the dark, and I knew what the result would be, but darn if you guys didn't affect my behavior.

I've actually never checked the LCI on my pistol.

The reason I asked, is that if you go to Springfield Armory's website - they highlight their XD features - Visual/Tactile Loaded Chamber Indicator & Visual/Tactile Striker Status Indicator.

So that made me wonder if there is tactical thinking / training SOPs around the LCI features.

I practice pulling the slide back from underneath kind of pressing it while aiming at the threat. Then I use my trigger finger to feel the round in the chamber and let it fall to battery.

Back