Does anyone keep a NFA weapon for HD?

I keep a Wilson Combat/Scattergun Technologies Semi Auto SBS built on a Remington 1187 platform as my HD weapon of choice alternating between TAP Buck and Regular Birdshot.

Dunno much about NFA's as you call them (I still call them class III's) but have toyed with the idea of owning one for decades. If and when I do own one it will likely spend it's life in a good safe and will be useless for HD, but I have 18" shotguns and trusted handguns for that. I can live without the raised eyebrows from the grand jury and local leo's as well. I'm more concerned about an unsecured NFA falling into the wrong hands than I am about being undergunned by home invaders. If tomorrow a band of SOF's kicks down my door with firepower superior to what I have at hand I'll chalk it up to bad Karma and do the best I can.

An SBS would beat a FA head to head.

And it would put the defender on less thin ice in a civil proceeding.

Just my opinion

Three 44s

Relative to Beckwith's use of an AW, it's well to remember that the incident occured well prior to Florida's passage of it's castle doctrine.

I rather doubt that there'd be a Grand Jury presentment under current law..............Beckwith was way, way justified and faced with multiple opponents as well!

He done GOOD!

This is just like all the other "will it hurt me in court" discussions.

If the circumstances are clear cut in your favor then it will almost certainly be a non-issue.

If the circumstances are questionable then it will be an issue unless the prosecutor is brain dead.

The person who can obtain and is legally permitted to have such weapons is probably going to be a dealer. This type of dealer will also probably have considerable pull with the local government and law enforcement agencies.

I would expect a firearms dealer to have a considerable cache of weapons both in their homes and place of business. Therefore, I would expect such a person to utilize automatic weaponry to protect the cache. Lets say I had a cache of weaponry in my household or place of business. Would it be reasonable for me to have available just a pistol to protect said weaponry? Considering the stories about armed robberies and gang activity nowadays, I would be surprised if the firearms dealer did not have an automatic assault rifle at the ready to defend the weapons cache.

I wouldn't do it.

I have buddies who do but to me the 2-3in length gain of an SBR (what he has) is not worth the expense and potential legal hassle.

I think few juries are going to understand the difference and it simply doesn't brief well to the lay person.

I think few juries are going to understand the difference and it simply doesn't brief well to the lay person.
IF it gets to court any good defense attorney is going to be able to kill the weapon issue as it is irrelevant if the weapon was legally owned.

If they are going to try and hang you over using a SBS then they would probably have done the same had you used an 18" shotgun. It all depends on where you live. For example if you lived in Bloomberg's new York you'd probably face charges for shooting a burglar with a BB pistol.

If someone can dismember a burglar with a sword and not face charges, I don't think a NFA weapon is going to have too much difficulty.

Man Kills Burglar with Samurai Sword

Generally a bad idea. An anti-gun district attorney would rake you over the coals, good shoot or not. Legal- yes. smart- probably not.

I have also considered a suppressor for HD and if I had one I would use it. I don't want to lose my hearing. I don't see much advantage to a full auto. Maybe an SBS. Of course my primary HD gun is a 12 ga, so I would have to spend a lot to suppress it.

I guess if I had it and thought it offered an advantage I would use it. If it looked like I was headed to a nasty civil suit that would leave me with nothing I guess I could liquidate my assets, give it to charity, become a hobo before they filed the complaint.

The most likely full auto i would use would be a 9mm AR. I don't own one, but I guess it would be a pretty good HD weapon. It would be worth over 15K I believe. The police would confiscate it when they arrived and it might be a long time before I got it back no matter what.

All you armchair gun show experts feel free to document on time that anything negative has ever happened because the defensive weapon was NFA.

All you armchair gun show experts feel free to document on time that anything negative has ever happened because the defensive weapon was NFA.
Are you saying that the only way to know it's a bad idea to eat week-old roadkill is to find a case where someone ate some and the results were documented? (I am NOT saying that using an NFA weapon in self defense is as bad as eating week-old roadkill--just pointing out that it's often possible to accurately determine whether something is good or bad without actually finding a case in point.)

What's the point of having a brain, of being able to use inductive and deductive logic, if the only way to decide if something's good or bad is by actually having someone try it to find out?

Hey Frank, I just built a brand new kind of gun. Why don't you stand in front of it for a test. Don't worry, there's no documented evidence of a gun like this one ever harming anyone so it must be perfectly safe.

No I am just saying spewing out crap advice that has no background in any supported fact is just that spew of crap.

It's just like the other gun show spew of ignorance.

We know that eating rotten meat is bad for our health, because either each of us has gotten sick from bad food, or knows someone who has gotten sick from bad food.
We do not know if defending ourself with NFA is bad for our health because no one knows of any case that bad things have happened.

replying directly to the OP's first post.

I do have a reising SMG that i keep in my underbed cabinet (has a quick lock on it) and I have a minimum of 2 stick mags with it at all times fully loaded. This would not be my go to home defense gun in the case that somebody broke into my house in the middle of the night (would use a 92fs, p229, or my winny 1300 defender first), but it is available in case I need to use it if i can'g get to my other pre staged home defense weapons that are throughout the house.

in AZ we have castle doctorine and if the bad guy decides to not leave when i tell him to stop and get out, I will have no problem aiming center mass and pulling the trigger putting 25rds down range, then changing mags and getting ready to do the same if he has more friends that want to do harm to me or my family. My defense in court would be that I felt threatened that he would do bodily harm to my family and I, and that he failed to cease and decist when instructed to do so, and I used the means that I felt necessary at the time to stop the attacker from further presenting a harmfull or intimidating posture towards myself and my family in my domicile.

And if you own a machine gun or silencer the ATF can come visit your home any time without a search warrant and ask to see your gun, sometimes they even just stop you on the street and take you into a Blackout Suburban.

And if you own a machine gun or silencer the ATF can come visit your home any time without a search warrant and ask to see your gun, sometimes they even just stop you on the street and take you into a Blackout Suburban.

That's really "old school". BATFE now implants tiny telecom devices in your house and vehicles that watch and record your every move digitally. Although, they do still use the Blackout Suburbans if you do anything "out of the ordinary" with your registered devices.

We know that eating rotten meat is bad for our health, because either each of us has gotten sick from bad food, or knows someone who has gotten sick from bad food.
Yes, but we don't know for certain that eating week-old roadkill is bad because none of us has done it nor do we know of anyone else who has done it.

We COULD use some logical reasoning skills and determine that since week-old roadkill is mostly rotten meat with some road and tire materials mixed in and since eating rotten meat is bad for one's health that eating week old roadkill is also probably bad for one's health.
We do not know if defending ourself with NFA is bad for our health because no one knows of any case that bad things have happened.
In a similar manner to the way we determined that eating roadkill is bad without actually trying it ourselves or finding a case where someone else tried it, a person who is an expert on legal proceedings and court cases work would likely be able to determine the wisdom of a particular course of action based on his experience even though he might not know of a case that exactly matches the case we're interested in.

In fact, that's exactly what has been done for us by a man who specializes in analyzing the legal implications and outcomes of various types of shootings. Just as we were able to determine (by using some basic logical skills and our knowledge) that eating roadkill is probably bad for us without actually finding a case where someone got sick from eating roadkill, he has been able to make the assessment (using his experience and knowledge in conjunction with some basic logical skills) that using NFA weapons in self-defense could have some negative repercussions.

The point of this thread is moot.

NFA weapons are only accessible to people who have the money to spend and can get through the complex paperwork process. Usually they are dealers and have FFLs. There are a very limited number of people in the US who have these weapons. Those who have these weapons do not leave them lieing around the house or out at night, but generally stored and locked down. Most of these people that if the police took their NFA weapons then they probably would not get it back...at all. They also believe they are so expensive that leaving them out makes them more stealable.

So no one is going to use their NFA weapon for HD most likely unless it just so happens to be out of their sacred locked up stash.

The next point is the matter of the law. You can train and educate yourself all you want on the law and how a jury might act in a certain circumstance. However, you are going to do what you have to do in these delicate situations which may not always be the most legal thing to do or the most appropriate thing for a jury.

So...

#1 A very limited number of people have NFA weapons

#2 Those who do have them are usually really serious about guns and would not keep their prized Thompson Sub, the one they paid 20 grand to obtain, outside of a locked safe.

#3 In the event a situation occurs that is a matter of life and death, you will grab anything you can find to defend yourself... 22 Rifle, boiling pot of water, 6 cell maglight, or your Thompson sub. You wont have time to think...you will just do and more then likely whatever you do will get you into trouble. You will go to court and you might be found guilty of something. But have no fear. Sometimes its better to spend a little time in jail then to be killed by a crazy.

I read this article on CNN just now. Two dead bodies found in a trash can. These were probably the people who did not choose to own a weapon. People disappear all the time...all kinds of people. However, those who have weapons at the ready and are not afraid to use them are the ones who usually spend a little time in jail after the fact, but they do not end up in a trash can later on. So there are two evils...do what you have to do and go to jail or end up on some list of missing people...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/04/05/new.jersey.bodies.found/index.html?hpt=T2

So this thread is pointless...

Back