Docs you ask for when selling a firearm

Quote:
GREAT?!?!?!
State control and registration is great?!?!?!

No thank you.........…
How is it control and registration? All the seller is doing is admitting he's selling a gun to the buyer. The state doesn't even know who the seller is, just the buyer. The state doesn't know if it's a long gun or hand gun. The state doesn't know make, model or serial number. There is way way less information exchanged then what's on a Federal form 4473. You do fill out a 4473 when buying a new gun, right? If not, both you and the seller are felons. Heck, it's entirely possible the deal feel through after the Illinois form was printed and the sale never even took place. It's CYA to the seller. The seller knows the buyer is not a prohibited person. And later down the road if the gun was used in a crime, the gun gets traced back to seller, he can show proof that he no longer owns the gun. CYA!

Because of this:

You've been living in IL too long if you can't see the folly of having forms, the gov't, etc. involved.

craddleshooter said:
i also ask to see the FFL papers where i will be shipping the package to.
Why? There is no requirement for an individual to see or have a copy of the FFL in order to send a firearm to that FFL. That requirement only exists for FFL-to-FFL transfers. It's really easy for an individual to verify that an FFL is an FFL without ever seeing a copy of their license.

Most FFLs I know won't give a copy of their FFL to any non-FFLs simply because it's completely unnecessary and they see it as a liability.

You've been living in IL too long if you can't see the folly of having forms, the gov't, etc. involved.

As I mentioned earlier, the state doesn't know the make, model or serial number of the gun being sold. There is less documentation then Federal form 4473. All the Illinois form does is prove the buyer is not a restricted person. I want to know that the gun I'm selling him/her is not going to be used to murder someone a few days later. If it doesn't bother you that a gun you sold is used in a crime, that's fine, but it would bother me.

I had a revolver stolen from me about 20 years ago. My handgun ended up on the streets of Rockford Illinois. It was used in a convenience store hold up. A person was shot with my gun. I got the gun back two years later after the court proceedings. I sold it within days. I bothered me. I know, a gun is a tool, no different than a hammer. But if a hammer of mine was used to bash someone's head in, I'd get rid of the hammer also.

I DO NOT WANT TO SELL A GUN TO A PERSON THAT COULD COMMIT A CRIME WITH IT. The Illinois form puts my mind at ease, a little anyhow.

I sure hope I've clarified myself here.

A person was shot with my gun. I got the gun back two years later after the court proceedings. I sold it within days. I bothered me.
So the gun bothered you, but you had no problem whatsoever passing it off to a buyer, just as long as it didn't give you the creeps.

So either you're saying that your own fear is irrational and nobody else is likely to share it, or you're saying just to hell with the next guy, I'll take his money and let him deal with his own personal demons in owning a gun that "did a crime."

Yes, I think it's ludicrous. Did you also drop your selling price 10% and tell your buyer that the icky gun hurt someone and they shouldn't turn their back on it?

And how does this piece of paper (or plastic?) prove that?

It's paper. Paper you print off when you do the check. The only person that sees this paper is the seller. You keep the paper for 10 years, then you dispose of it. It proves the buyer is not a convicted felon or has been arrested for domestic assult. Sure, a normal law abiding person could snap the next day, but what are the odds of that? If the ISP web site gives me the ok to sell, I'm 99.999% sure the buyer is just fine. This paper also covers your butt if the gun was used in a crime, and left at the crime scene. If you were the original buyer when gun was new, it would be traced back to you. Then you would have some explaining to do, it wasn't you that killed that person and dropped the gun. How are you going to prove it wasn't you without proof you sold the gun?

So the gun bothered you, but you had no problem whatsoever passing it off to a buyer, just as long as it didn't give you the creeps.

Actually, I traded it to an FFL at a gun show for a .22 rifle. Where it went from there, I have no idea.

You guys like arguing for the sake of arguing, don't you? What difference does it make how I feel or what I did with the recovered handgun? If I don't like keeping it, how does that affect you in any way? You want a gun with human blood still on it? I don't. If it doesn't bother you, fine. Why should it bother you if I don't want it?

Mike38 said:
And how does this piece of paper (or plastic?) prove that?
It's paper. Paper you print off when you do the check. The only person that sees this paper is the seller. You keep the paper for 10 years, then you dispose of it. It proves the buyer is not a convicted felon or has been arrested for domestic assult. Sure, a normal law abiding person could snap the next day, but what are the odds of that? If the ISP web site gives me the ok to sell, I'm 99.999% sure the buyer is just fine. This paper also covers your butt if the gun was used in a crime, and left at the crime scene.
I fully understand that the piece of paper covers your posterior in the event the gun is misused after you sold it, but that's not what you wrote that I was responding to. You wrote:

"I want to know that the gun I'm selling him/her is not going to be used to murder someone a few days later."

No piece of paper can provide any assurance of that. It may improve the odds a bit in your favor, but it's not an assurance. It's just a CYA.

i see it unnecessary to ask for people's ID because i wouldn't give anyone mine to anyone. FFL papers is good enough.
What FFL papers are you referring to? If you’re referring to a copy of the dealer’s FFL, why would you need a copy of that and how would it help you in any way?

Here in Texas, many individuals will ask to see the buyers LTC before they will complete a FTF private transaction. A dealer will generally only ask you for your LTC as well, as that's all that's really necessary here.

No piece of paper can provide any assurance of that. It may improve the odds a bit in your favor, but it's not an assurance. It's just a CYA.

And if you read my posts, really read them and not just skim over the parts you want to argue about, you'd very clearly see that's exactly what I said. But hey, carry on, I'm enjoying this.

Back