Do you volunteer you have a ccw if pulled over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for the record, I will hand over my CHL w/ my DL if I am ever pulled over. Just playing devil's advocate because, as I said before, here in VA the police will know the instant they bring up a DL# on their computer.

if you are being asked to step out of the car and choose that time to say "I have a gun" you are probably going to piss off the officer and bring unneeded stress down on yourself.
Which is why I wouldn't say that. If I am told to exit my car, I would say what I've have been trained to say by Mas Ayoob in LFI-1:

"Certainly, officer. However, I have a license to carry and I am carrying now. How would you like to proceed?"

This tells the officer that 1) I am a card carrying good guy who has passed a background check, 2) I have a gun, 3) I will do what he says, and 4) does it all without saying "I HAVE A GUN".

I live in MA, a very anti-gun jurisdiction. People have been dragged out of cars, cuffed and stuffed here in MA after they said they were carrying without being asked about it. You may live in a jurisdiction with a very different view of guns. I don't. I deal with the reality here in MA.

I have been stopped once for speeding while I was carrying. In fact, I was wearing my patented I-have-a-gun IDPA-style photographers vest and had a 1911 on my hip and a Kahr PM9 in my pocket. I didn't mention that I was carrying. The officer didn't ask. I got a warning for 42 in a 25. Yes, I'm driving slower these days. YMMV.

I will hand over my CHL w/ my DL if I am ever pulled over. Just playing devil's advocate because, as I said before, here in VA the police will know the instant they bring up a DL# on their computer.
Here in MA, you have to have an LTC just to own a handgun, whether or not you are carrying concealed. So far more people have an LTC than actually carry concealed. Furthermore, there are several different in-car computer systems in use in MA. One of them shows on the first screen whether or not the car owner has an LTC. The others don't show that information on the first screen -- the officer would have to dig down to find it.

And as I said, here in MA you are not required to notify the officer. If I was in a state that required notification, I would follow the law.

I have peen pulled over once since ive had my ccp. And upon the officer approaching the truck he asked me if I had any weapons with me (I assumed that he seen that I had a permit before he got out of his car and thought i might be carrying). I told him yes my pistol was in the glove box and I have a permit for it. He was on the passenger side and got it out himself and set on the roof. Proceeded to take my info went back to his car and left the gun on top of mine. when he came back he gave me a verbal warning and took the clip out of my gun and the bullet that was in the pipe and looked at the gun and told me " nice gun feel free to load it when you take off ".

I stopped a car at 3 am the other night. When I got to the drivers door I saw the driver stuffing a large stainless pistol ( Ruger .45 maybe a P90? I dont remember, I dont have any Rugers) under the drivers seat at his feet. Needless to say he came out of the car and was cuffed.

Turns out he had a pistol permit and later told me his safety class instructor told him to do that if he ever got stopped. I told him its a good way to get shot.

My advice, roll both front windows down (never know which side cops walk up to), turn your inside light on, radio off, hands on the steering wheel. Then just follow directions as far as getting out license, reg., insurance, etc. Then if the gun is on you, say so and let them know you have a carry permit. I often get people out of the car to show them violations (broken/burned out lights, etc.) and to see how they walk, talk, etc. I work nights and its a great way to catch drunk drivers.

Somebody tells me they are armed and hands me a permit, they will likely get a warning and send them on their way. I know that by having a permit they are not a felon, no drug arrests, domestic violence etc.

If I find out by suprise, things go downhill quickly. My two cents.

I was pulled over while carrying legally in Georgia. Being the good guy that I am, I notified Officer Friendly that I had a carry license and had my carry weapon in the console, which is legal here, and asked how I should proceed. He freaked totally out. I am not sure why. He did not look like a rookie, and I don't understand his reaction. It was broad daylight. I was going 10 miles over the speed limit, had not been drinking, and am clean cut, wearing kakhi pants and a shirt and tie.

I was removed from the vehicle amidst a string of profanity, told there was no reason for me to be carrying a weapon, and told to sit on the side of the road. He did not handcuff me, but pointed his finger at me and told me if I moved I would be in a "world of hurt". Another officer arrived shortly, I dont know if he called for back up or not or what. They talked but I could not hear the conversation. The second officer left without saying anything to me.

The original officer returned, handed me my license back, told me to leave my "f-ing" gun at home next time, and left. He didnt give me a ticket for speeding.

So, no, I probably won't be volunteering any information again.

Turns out he had a pistol permit and later told me his safety class instructor told him to do that if he ever got stopped. I told him its a good way to get shot.
That's why I'm generally up-front about it, it's an easier route to take than what would ensue if the officer noticed it halfway through the stop.

I'd file a formal complaint against Officer #@*%! in Georgia if I were you, Unregistered. Professionalism is a hallmark of a professional police officer.

This thread is a touch like the Drop the Gun one going on in Tactics.

There is a debate between perceived affront and/or principles vs. minimizing risk.

If the first is most important to you - do that and accept if bad things happen, up to physical harm.

The second seems to have usually led to no bad consequences but sometimes getting you yelled at. Which if true could be dealt with later by complaint mechanisms.

That's all there is.

Last edited:
If I`ve screwed up while driving, why would I then possibly further irritate the situation and surprise the officer as to the fact I have a gun. Its law here in Ohio and since I normally like to obey the law, ccw and DL presented at same time. Do any of us want to make anyones job tougher than what it is. Cops just doing his job and wants to go home at night like everyone else and they don`t like surprises especially gun related

If I`ve screwed up while driving, why would I then possibly further irritate the situation and surprise the officer as to the fact I have a gun.
Because 1) if I'm concealing it properly, he'll never know, and 2) if I tell him I'm quite likely here in MA to end up eating pavement, getting cuffed and stuffed, and then enduring a 30 minute lecture about why I shouldn't be carrying a gun. I know a fellow that happened to here in MA.

Your jurisdiction may well be different. If your law requires you to notify the officer, then certainly follow the law. The law here in MA does not require notification, so I don't notify unless I'm ordered out of the car.

Because 1) if I'm concealing it properly, he'll never know, and 2) if I tell him I'm quite likely here in MA to end up eating pavement, getting cuffed and stuffed, and then enduring a 30 minute lecture about why I shouldn't be carrying a gun. I know a fellow that happened to here in MA.
I truly believe the chance of that happening is almost non-existant and is just greatly exaggerated speculation...but I wish it would happen to me. That would be a huge pay-day from the state. :)

If you've got the gun on you in Texas, you've got to show the cop your CHL. He'll ask you where your gun is and if you've got any sense you put it in the glove compartment when you pulled over. Then he'll say, "Would you step out of the car please for my safety and yours?" [evidently the question they rehearse around here]. Then you get out of the car and stand there while he processes whatever he's there to do.

Like stated in Texas, if you're carrying you have to show your CHL with DL.

I've never had the cop even ask me where my gun was though. They always just hand me back my CHL and then go run my DL. They always come back with a warning (so far...knock on wood :o) and then they tell me to be more careful and have a nice day or we get into a good conversation and firearms. :cool:

I truly believe the chance of that happening is almost non-existant and is just greatly exaggerated speculation...but I wish it would happen to me. That would be a huge pay-day from the state.
The chances depend greatly upon your jurisdiction. It won't happen often here in MA, but it happened to a fellow that I know. It is far less likely to happen in Buggscuffle, TX than here in occupied MA.

Know your jurisdiction.

Notification is required in NC. Only times I've had to do it is DUI checkpoints, haven't been pulled over in a long time. Never had an officer ask where it was or anything.

I pass my driver's license and CCW permit when stopped ( 2 times in past 5 years - both on motorcycle and only got verbal warning) and the best reason for giving the permit with the license, I think, is that it gives the officer an instant background check - it's the best evidence immediately that you are not a felon or a nut case.

The first officer asked what and where it was and the second just looked at my permit and handed it back to me saying he didn't need it.

:D

The answer is "Yes, and hell yes" -- in that order. It is a courtesy you afford the officer that will be appreciated and may be the difference between a citation and a warning. It could also be the difference between a relaxed stop or at some point one of the officers shouting "Gun!"

I answered the door one night to find one of Colorado Springs finest standing there. I told him "I'm sorry, but I'm holding a handgun; do you mind if I put it away?" His response was "I would prefer you did." I walked to the table, placed it in plain sight and invited him in. His training kicked in, after what must have been an initial shock at being caught literally under a gun, and he stayed between me and the firearm for the rest of the time he was there. The conversation was pleasant and relaxed. No harm, no foul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back