Do you volunteer you have a ccw if pulled over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kplender

The CCW class I took said that if I get pulled over for a traffic violation, that I should have my CCW permit ready to hand over to the police officer along with my driver's license. Apparently, when the police officer runs my license plate he will see that I am a CCW holder. Do you think this is necessary? If he asks to see it, fine. But I don't think I need to worry about volunteering this, do you? By the way I am in Colorado if that matters.

Ask yourself this..what valid reason, other than macho posturing and anti-authoritarian BS, would you have to not show it?

Then remember it is the law in many states so you better find out if yours is one of them.

New Hampshire is not such a state, but on the two occasions I've been pulled over since then, I've volunteered it as "just so there's no surprises, I've got a license to carry and I'm armed."

On both occasions, the officers have been polite about it, and I was let off with a warning each time.

Ask yourself this...what valid reason, other than ignorance and authoritarian blather-making conversation, would you have for discussing something with a l.e. officer that's none of that officer's business? If I were in a jurisdiction that required notification, I would. I'm not.

Ask yourself this...what valid reason, other than ignorance and authoritarian blather-making conversation, would you have for discussing something with a l.e. officer that's none of that officer's business? If I were in a jurisdiction that required notification, I would. I'm not.
My case in point. :)

Thanks for proving my first post to be relevant regarding macho-posturing and anti-authoritarian complexes.

Exactly. Other than some cop wannabe who enjoys monosyllable dialogues with cops, what's the point? Do you notify them that you have a tire tool and spare tire in the trunk? What if you're carrying hunting rifles in the trunk? Gonna have a discussion about that too?

Ask yourself this..what valid reason, other than macho posturing and anti-authoritarian BS, would you have to not show it?

Because here in VA the LEO already knows I have a CCW permit before they even approach my vehicle?

Because here in VA the LEO already knows I have a CCW permit before they even approach my vehicle?
That is a good reason to present it. You are required to have it on you if carrying and handing it to him shows him you know what is required of you and you follow the rules. It is like saying "I am a good guy and I do the right thing."

The rationale for telling an officer about guns in the car is because for some reason if you don't tell and they then discover the gun, the officer might treat you in an unpleasant fashion.

Whether they should or not is another discussion. The argument is about risk to you vs. whether you like to take that risk and posture.

You could be mistaken for a BOLO car and a suspect. Why have more tension except as PBP says you have attitude?

It's a legal requirement in some states. Where I live, in Kentucky, you are not required to tell the officer. If they run your license however, their report shows if you have a valid CCW or not. While I've never been pulled over carrying, if I do I plan on telling the officer. He'll know if you have a CCW or not and being up front about it seems like the right thing to do.

Disclosure is not required here in MA. I don't volunteer the information unless I'm in a state that requires it. If the officer tells me to get out of the car, I will tell him then.

I know a fellow here in MA who volunteered that he had a license and was carrying. He was removed from the car at gun point, proned out on the asphalt, disarmed, cuffed, and stuffed in the cruiser. 90 minutes later he was let go with his gun, ammo, and a citation.

I don't think this is the typical reaction, even here in MA. But if he had not volunteered that he was carrying he never would have been eating pavement.

So, if I dont show it, am I am saying "I am a bad guyn and I dont do the right thing"?
If I was the officer stopping you and I knew you might be carrying, the fact that you did not volunteer this information would give me cause to scrutinize you even more closely and be more aggressive in my approach. If you had volunteered the information I would have known you were not trying to hide anything from me and more likely to consider you no threat and maybe even consider you a valuable asset to the community.

If the officer tells me to get out of the car, I will tell him then.
if you are being asked to step out of the car and choose that time to say "I have a gun" you are probably going to piss off the officer and bring unneeded stress down on yourself.

If you had volunteered the information I would have known you were not trying to hide anything from me

But that's my point...here in Virginia you will already know that I have a permit to carry if you followed procedure. Not telling I have a permit doesn't mean that I am hiding something or that I leave the toilet seat up.

if you are being asked to step out of the car and choose that time to say "I have a gun" you are probably going to piss off the officer and bring unneeded stress down on yourself.

I don't think it's too much to ask a LEO to be professional. The statement "I have a gun" is a little different from how I imagine the verbal exchange would take place.

Switching gears for a second, I would like to know that someone I pulled over is armed if I were a LEO. I would give that information regardless of whether or not the law dictated I was required to do so as a matter of courtesy.

But that's my point...here in Virginia you will already know that I had a permit to carry if you followed procedure. Not telling I have a permit doesn't mean that I am hiding something or that I leave the toilet seat up.
You have obviously never been in law enforcement. Most of the time we know what someone is doing when we confront them. When they cop to it or give us additional information that shows they are not demonstating a bad attitude or hiding something things go much easier.

So far your reasoning is "why should I..?" the real question is "why shouldn't I..?" Just because you are assuming he already knows is not a reason not to present him with it. You question can easily be answered by saying if the officer thinks you are hiding something or feels you are just giving him attitude you will only make things worse for yourself.

Last edited:
It's simple, hand them the CCW card right along with the DL. Takes less than a second. I'd rather do so to communicate the point that I'm a responsible, respectable guy with a clean background--what cop could possibly object to that information?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back