Do you use a safety or no safety on your firearm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No safety

Both my carry pieces LCP and Glock 19 are sans safety.

I shall admit being VERY uncomfortable initially with the Glock, it came home prior to the LCP.
A good holster that covers the trigger is the right answer.

Then there are those guns that do not need a safety at all. My 1918 LC Smith single barrel trap gun was manufactured without a safety. Given the specialized nature of the gun, a safety is useless.
The trigger does indeed break like that proverbial glass rod, best trigger of any gun I have ever handled.

I ask because my S&W m&p 2.0 is the no safety variant, but as it applies to self defense, I wouldn't want to forget to disengage the safety when fear and adrenaline are pumping and seconds count. I think this boils down to proper training and muscle memory if i'm not mistaken.

My biggest concern though is the firearm discharging when conceal carrying. I'm not sure how often this happens but the last thing i'd want is the gun going off by accident.

So how many of you prefer a safety over no safety on your pistol?
All firearms I own have external safeties, even my bbs do. I do not forget to disengage the safety in a firearm before shooting any more than I forget to push on the clutch when changing gears on a manual shift transmission, even in an emergency.

I even put an aftermarket safety on my Glock 21, which I conceal carry often.
However my favorite conceal carry pistols are DA/SA with a safety. I carry them AIWB with a round in the chamber, de-cocked and with the safety engaged.

I know the mantra that training precludes the need for a safety. In my mind, training also precludes the need for NOT having a safety when use of a firearm is needed.

My experience is that I know more people hurt by accidental/negligent discharges than people that have been hurt as a result of gun violence. Therefore my choice is for erring on the side of too much caution in the way I carry and opt for an external safety even if at the cost of an added 0.05 second in reaction time.

Carry w/safety OFF--put it on when holstering then flick it off.
To me, it is not a good idea to fiddle with the controls of a firearm once it is in the holster. The holster is not intended for that.

How about taking your holster off, disengage the safety of the firearm and put it in the holster, and then put the holster on (with the firearm already in it)?

I’m merely explaining that people that expect a Glock to stop the trigger from going to the rear from a snag will likely be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is an excellent aftermarket thumb safety for Glocks, the Cominolli, that has been in the market for 20+ years and functions the same as the safety on a 1911. This safety is also offered by Ten Ring Precision and other outlets, and does not void the Glock factory warranty. With the safety engaged, a trigger snagging on a loose piece of clothing (or anything else) is blocked from moving which will not allow the pistol to discharge.

Engineering wise, the safety is basically the same as the safety that Glock itself put into its Glock 19 MHS that was offered for the Army M17 pistol competition:
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/11/02/a-closer-look-at-the-glock-thumb-safety/
https://www.range365.com/glock-with-manual-safety/

I've had it on my two Glocks since I bought them in 2005, with thousands of rounds fired through them.

I carry AIWB and would never dare to put pistol without a safety down there (but maybe I am just silly)

Last edited:
"QUOTE"
To me, it is not a good idea to fiddle with the controls of a firearm once it is in the holster. The holster is not intended for that.

The Sig P365 has dual thumb safeties. After holstering moving the safety to the fire position requires no unsafe--FIDDLING. And its not & add on part.

Get one & find out.

Last edited:
The only guns I use the safety with are my 1911s or variants (i.e. Spingfield EMP). I do not use the safety with all my other EDC guns whether they come with a safety or not. These include MP Shield, MP40c, HK P2000sk, and Ruger SR9c.

No safety.

All of my handguns are DA/SA with a round in the chamber.
Carry >> "Israeli-style" :( << with an empty chamber if a trigger finger can't be trusted. Both of my handgun instructors are Israeli:cool:. Even their rifles are carried in this manner.

Even my Walther P99 'AS' (striker-fired) is decocked from SA into DA when I carry it.
If somebody carries a 1911-styled gun with a safety, "cocked and locked (always-right?)" and allows the trigger finger to move prematurely into the trigger guard -- but they Forgot to engage the "safety"-- they can still easily shoot themselves, can they not?.

At least a DA is usually 10-12 #s of pull: in my Walther P99 (9 lbs.?), CZ PCR and Walther P99 AS with no extra step in Very High Stress required to operate these guns.

When my first S&W 908 compact (single-stack) and the S&W 6904 compact (double-stack) arrive at the gun store this week, I'll let you know whether I still like DA/SA.

Last edited:
You don’t keep it with a round chambered? Why?

because w/o an external safety, I'm not comfortable having a round chambered. Actually, I would only keep a DAO that way...

Look into Cominolli or Ten Ring Precision thumb safety for Glock. Around $90 + installation (which some people do themselves)

and these work flawlessly?

<<Look into Cominolli or Ten Ring Precision thumb safety for Glock>>

and these work flawlessly?
For me as flawlessly as the rest of the pistol, for the last 15 years I've had it on.
And no reports found of malfunctions online.

It is basically the same safety that Glock itself put into the Glock 19 MHS that it entered into the Army's XM17 modular pistol competition:
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/11/02/a-closer-look-at-the-glock-thumb-safety/

It's puzzling why Glock would develop a safety for a pistol that it enters into a military competition but then not offer it as an option (for an extra charge) in their civilian offerings. I can't see how it would not improve their bottom line. If they were willing to tool up and offer the pistol at a profitable price for the Army, why wouldn't that be profitable in the civilian market?

Last edited:
It's puzzling why Glock would develop a safety for a pistol that it enters into a military competition but then not offer it as an option (for an extra charge) in their civilian offerings. I can't see how it would not improve their bottom line. If they were willing to tool up and offer the pistol at a profitable price for the Army, why wouldn't that be profitable in the civilian market?

I’m willing to bet that outside of states that need it for compliance that the civilian sales of P320s without safeties dwarf those with safeties. To SIG it wasn’t much effort to offer the safety version as they already have the MHS contract and have to have full scale production to support that contract. The same isn’t true for Glock. The MHS contract is massive. I seriously doubt civilian sales without that contract are enough for Glock to warrant full scale production of a safety equipped version.

I don’t personally get why you would purchase a Glock, add this to it, rather than get one of those other pistols that can be had with a manual safety. If you want one by all means go for it, but I don’t think the market for it would honestly be that big relative to Glock’s existing market.

I don’t personally get why you would purchase a Glock, add this to it, rather than get one of those other pistols that can be had with a manual safety.

Ah, well, I do have other pistols with factory installed safeties (one 1911 and a couple of DA/SA). I just like to modify everything so it suits my needs better. Heck, no, its not about needs, it is just fun.

But from firearms to bows to bicycles to cars.... I modify everything.
Even my significant other, I look at and think about "enhancements... Although so far has remained stock.:p

Last edited:
The MHS contract is massive. I seriously doubt civilian sales without that contract are enough for Glock to warrant full scale production of a safety equipped version.
Yes, you are right, that could be it.

I’m willing to bet that outside of states that need it for compliance that the civilian sales of P320s without safeties dwarf those with safeties.
This would actually be very very interesting to know, a true control experiment.

Last edited:
This would actually be very very interesting to know, a true control experiment.

I don’t know who would give us that information though. As best as I can tell SIG isn’t publicly traded so it’s not like you can just look in an investors’ annual sales report. Although you don’t need full sales data, just a ratio.

because w/o an external safety, I'm not comfortable having a round chambered. Actually, I would only keep a DAO that way...

My nightstand gun used to be a Glock 19 but, like you, I was uncomfortable with the relatively light trigger pull when I might be half asleep.
GLOCK W LIGHT.jpg

So I bought a Sig P220 SAE in 45 ACP which has about a forty pound trigger pull. (Likely around 10-12 pounds, but it takes a much more deliberate action than the Glock or pistol in SA mode.)

P220 SAE.JPG

The Glock is across the room in a bureau drawer by the door.

The Sig is in the nightstand.

Balancing safety and quick access, I'd rate the following from best to worst:

:D DA/SA and DAO

:) Glock-style striker with no separate manual safety

:( Manual safety switch

:eek: Carrying on empty chamber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back