Do you reloaders use a chamber checker?

Shadow9mm:
"The OP posted in reloading, not gunsmithing, and stated that he was using it in lieu of the gun chamber plunk test in the original post..... Context has an effect on terminology".

Yes, and while reading through the entire post one can come away pretty much knowing what the thread starter is asking. My only point is it helps to use the correct terminology. Yes it is in reloading and not gunsmithing but that changes little as to using correct terminology and naming conventions. So because it is in reloading we should assume a "Chamber Checker" relates to really being a cartridge gauge? I would think the idea is also for people to learn correct terminology. This is why I suggested the SAAMI Glossary. All shooting enthusiast start somewhere.

Ron

Shadow9mm:
"The OP posted in reloading, not gunsmithing, and stated that he was using it in lieu of the gun chamber plunk test in the original post..... Context has an effect on terminology".

Yes, and while reading through the entire post one can come away pretty much knowing what the thread starter is asking. My only point is it helps to use the correct terminology. Yes it is in reloading and not gunsmithing but that changes little as to using correct terminology and naming conventions. So because it is in reloading we should assume a "Chamber Checker" relates to really being a cartridge gauge? I would think the idea is also for people to learn correct terminology. This is why I suggested the SAAMI Glossary. All shooting enthusiast start somewhere.

Ron
As you stated "while reading through the entire post one can come away pretty much knowing what the thread starter is asking." This is called context. You should not just pick up on one key word and start making assumptions about the intent of the statement is. The English language is very dependent on context and specific definitions of words can change depending on that context.

For example you cannot simply pluck out the word Ogive and determine one it talking about bullets. One could be talking about gothic architecture, graphs, or math.

44 AMP, We all have out pet peeves. I suspect they are generally meaning the point where the ogive meets the lands? I used a comparitor tool that measure a consistent point on the ogive, and use that in relation to the point where the ogive touches the lands to set seating depth relative to the lands where they meet to ogive. This would be the correct was to explain it right?

Last edited:
I agree as to context. However, at the same time, Context—the words or ideas expressed before and after— provides us with the information we need to fully understand, evaluate or interpret the ideas in the passage. That does not mean we cal always make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Reading through the passage or in this case the post it's sort of obvious "Chamber Checker" was a real poor choice of words and while the passage which followed helped the passage actually pointed to a case or cartridge gauge. Chamber Checker just does not fit in any context. That being just how I see it.

These are a few examples of case gauges:
Wilson%20Case%20Gauges.png

These are a few examples of chamber gauges:
308%20Gauge%20Set.png

Just because you or I can read the text surrounding a term and come away knowing what was meant does not make the term correct.

No I was obviously not an English major, my wife was so I have my grammar corrected on a regular basis. However, as an engineer I sat down in many meetings where communication skills were important so we all knew what each was talking about. Wasn't too good to use the wrong terminology.

Anyway, it's a wash so let's leave it at that. The thread starter had his question asked and answered and hopefully came away with a better understanding of terminology. :)

Ron

44 AMP, We all have out pet peeves. I suspect they are generally meaning the point where the ogive meets the lands? I used a comparitor tool that measure a consistent point on the ogive, and use that in relation to the point where the ogive touches the lands to set seating depth relative to the lands where they meet to ogive. This would be the correct was to explain it right?

that explains what you are doing well enough, and yes, what I get from context is that they are referring to that point on the ogive where it contacts the rifling. The other thing usually in the context is that they seem to think that point is a fixed and constant point, when in fact it will be a different for every different bullet and rifle.

Of course, that might just be what I'm reading into it, its difficult to tell when terms aren't used correctly. ;)

Oh, it's different in just one rifle. In general, where the ogive comes off the bearing surface (the shoulder of the bullet), a tangent ogive will have such a shallow angle that it is smaller than the throat angle and touches the lands at the bore diameter first, then, as it moves forward, makes contact progressively further down until it meets the shoulder at the groove diameter. A secant ogive bullet, on the other hand, often has a steeper angle than the throat coming off the shoulder, and so tends to make contact at the groove diameter of the throat first, with contact moving progressively forward until the bore diameter finally meets the bullet. The former arrangement seems to center bullets better, which is why Berger's hybrid ogive was developed, giving tangent ogive centering, but secant ogive high ballistic coefficients.

What ever you call it, I've never had to use one. Since I started reloading in the early 80s, my reloads all just fell into the chambers and went bang. No use for one, rifle or revolver.

Every round of .45, 9, 40, 30 carbine and .223. Love the EGW blocks. All it takes in one split or folded rim to ruin a stage. The more you shoot, the more you need to check.

Back