Do you reloaders use a chamber checker?

If you are referring to go/no-go gauges as "chamber checkers",
Then no I have never used them!

I do make a dummy and determine/record
the maximum cartridge over all length for each particular bullet I reload.
Kinda like the old builder's saying "measure twice - cut once".

For 9mm and .45 ACP, yes for every round.

For .40 S&W when reloading range pickups, Ibrun them through a gauge after sizing and before belling, as a way of sorting out Glock bulges.

No. But I mostly shoot revolvers. I also shoot exclusively lead bullets which tends to throw things off a tad to begin with. I think once back in the 90's I over crimped some bullets that had a very shallow crimp groove and a few of those didn't chamber. I buckled the case a bit.

I have upon occasion had some issues with one of my 1911's but I figured out the problems and corrected them. I just used the barrel while I was figuring it out. It had a minimum spec chamber. I ended up having it throated.

The other few autos I have seem to work fine with everything I've thrown at them. But I haven't fired more than a few thousand rounds through autoloaders in my lifetime.

...a gauge for .45 ACP and 9MM are already waiting for me to use them. next will be .38 special and 357 to the collection.

Simply no need for the .38 Special and .357 Magnum. All you need to do is open the cylinder and insert the cartridge - no disassembly required.

Don

Never used one. I have used my barrel to check ammo for a big IPSC match, but for normal range use I don't worry about it.

If you are referring to go/no-go gauges as "chamber checkers",
Then no I have never used them!

I do make a dummy and determine/record
the maximum cartridge over all length for each particular bullet I reload.
Kinda like the old builder's saying "measure twice - cut once".
I think of them a a go/no go gauge. Drop your load round in, if it fits, its a go, if it does not its a no go. they are listed as case gauges

Link

https://www.egwguns.com/case-gauge-ammo-checker-9-mm-50-hole

{EDIT to remove the copyrighted material. The link is OK, but no hot-linked photos or lengthy text copy without permission from the owner. See the board policy on posting copyrighted materials.}

The problem with that is, there are actual Go and No Go Gauges that are an entirely different animal.

Don
there are go/nogo gauges for lots and lots of things. if it fits in and drops out its a go, if it does not fit, or does not drop out, its a no-go..... thats pretty much the definition of a go/no go gauge last I checked....

Shadow,

Google Go and No Go gauges, and you will get gauges that are designed to set the headspace in rifles. So, you calling them that will be confusing to anyone knowledgeable about such gauges.

Don

Shadow,

Google Go and No Go gauges, and you will get gauges that are designed to set the headspace in rifles. So, you calling them that will be confusing to anyone knowledgeable about such gauges.

Don
there are literally go/no-go gauges for everything under the sun, not just chamber gauges. To someone knowledgeable they will understand the concept, not just 1 specific item. Especially given the context of case/cartridge gauges being discussed...

Google go-no go gauges yourself.... here's the wikipedia definition with link to get you started.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go/no_go_gauge

Wikipedia Quote
A go/no-go gauge refers to an inspection tool used to check a workpiece against its allowed tolerances via a go/no-go test. Its name is derived from two tests: the check involves the workpiece having to pass one test (go) and fail the other (no-go).

When you do not use the correct terminology, you impair communication with others, and your own learning.
There are appropriate, and inappropriate, uses of jargon. Even elementary questions should be phrased correctly, and precisely, to eliminate ignorance, and mis-understanding of technical information. You cannot learn what you believe you already know.
You really should Search reloading manuals about reloading questions, rather than Wikipedia as the inteneded audience and necessary background for reloading are NOT Wikipedia's forte. I am a HUGE FAN of WikiPedia, But the Reloading-specific version has not been published yet.
Go/No Go guages, related to firearms and ammuntion are a specific thing, not explained in Wikipedia.

When you do not use the correct terminology, you impair communication with others, and your own learning.
There are appropriate, and inappropriate, uses of jargon. Even elementary questions should be phrased correctly, and precisely, to eliminate ignorance, and mis-understanding of technical information. You cannot learn what you believe you already know.
You really should Search reloading manuals about reloading questions, rather than Wikipedia as the inteneded audience and necessary background for reloading are NOT Wikipedia's forte. I am a HUGE FAN of WikiPedia, But the Reloading-specific version has not been published yet.
Go/No Go guages, related to firearms and ammuntion are a specific thing, not explained in Wikipedia.
Marco Califo

You hit the nail on the head "You cannot learn what you already know." look in the mirror my friend.

You and USSR are both in the same boat and both apparently lack the ability to read.

I made an analogy to a go/no go gauge.

I explained the use and why it was similar in relation to use.

What has been referred to are specifically "headspace go / no-go gauges" a specific type of gauge for a very specific use. How someone could think that there are ONLY go/no-go gauged for head space is beyond me. And how someone could tell me to go google it, not even knowing, and apparently not taking the time to look first themselves before posting, also baffles me.

In relation to using google and wikipedia. One cannot base ones entire life using only the reloading manuals to understand the world around us and cannot use only the reloading manuals very genre specific definitions.

A go / no-go gauge is a type of tool. Yes there are specific ones for firearms. But the principle of a go / no-go gauge is universal.

You need to understand the concept, not a very specific item within that subsection.

Last edited:
Marco Califo said:
The Wikipedia article explains what a Go/No Go gauge is. No single article can possibly cover every possible application of a Go/No Go gauge.

The most commonly thought of use for Go/No Go gauges in firearms is checking headspace, usually in rifles. That's not the only use for them. If you want to get picky about terminology, calling a checker for finished cartridges a "chamber checker" is about as wrong as can be, because they don't in any way check chambers of firearms. Likewise, they aren't really "case checkers." Several companies make case checkers, and I own a few. They are for checking cases before loading.

However, we should probably refer to these things as what they are: "cartridge checkers." And cartridge checkers are Go/No Go gauges for finished cartridges. They are made to the dimensions of a minimum SAAMI chamber. If the cartridge fits, it should work in any chamber meeting the SAAMI dimensional specs. If the cartridge goesn't fit, it might or might not not work in some firearms, but it's not loaded to SAAMI dimensional specs.

Yes, it appears Marco Califo and I, and probably many others, are in the same boat; using the correct terminology in a specific field.

Don

The Wikipedia article explains what a Go/No Go gauge is. No single article can possibly cover every possible application of a Go/No Go gauge.

The most commonly thought of use for Go/No Go gauges in firearms is checking headspace, usually in rifles. That's not the only use for them. If you want to get picky about terminology, calling a checker for finished cartridges a "chamber checker" is about as wrong as can be, because they don't in any way check chambers of firearms. Likewise, they aren't really "case checkers." Several companies make case checkers, and I own a few. They are for checking cases before loading.

However, we should probably refer to these things as what they are: "cartridge checkers." And cartridge checkers are Go/No Go gauges for finished cartridges. They are made to the dimensions of a minimum SAAMI chamber. If the cartridge fits, it should work in any chamber meeting the SAAMI dimensional specs. If the cartridge goesn't fit, it might or might not not work in some firearms, but it's not loaded to SAAMI dimensional specs.

For reference, the OP speficied chamber checker in the title of the post. I agree that Cartridge checkers would be a much more appropriate title, but I was easily able to understand what was meant by the OP and was trying to relate to the term used without beating him over the head on terminology.

Thanks you so much for the reasonable response Aguila Blanca.

Last edited:
When it comes to terminology I generally use the SAAMI Glossary of terminology. I like this because it affords uniformity in communication by those when referring to or working within the firearms industry.

That said while I never heard of a chamber checker and hearing that my first thought would be a headspace gauge only because of reference to the word chamber. Cartridges? No shortage of gauges out there for checking cartridge dimensions.

I normally resize and trim a few and make sure they chamber. If for example a .308 Winchester cartridge chambers in my .308 bolt gun it will chamber fine in my M1A, AR10 or any 308 rifle I have. Then too I normally load for a specific gun.

Ron

When it comes to terminology I generally use the SAAMI Glossary of terminology. I like this because it affords uniformity in communication by those when referring to or working within the firearms industry.

That said while I never heard of a chamber checker and hearing that my first thought would be a headspace gauge only because of reference to the word chamber. Cartridges? No shortage of gauges out there for checking cartridge dimensions.

I normally resize and trim a few and make sure they chamber. If for example a .308 Winchester cartridge chambers in my .308 bolt gun it will chamber fine in my M1A, AR10 or any 308 rifle I have. Then too I normally load for a specific gun.

Ron
The OP posted in reloading, not gunsmithing, and stated that he was using it in lieu of the gun chamber plunk test in the original post..... Context has an effect on terminology.

What we have here is a slight miscommunication, English is wonderful for that.

One person says "chamber checker" when they mean "cartridge checker" or gauge. Another says "cartridge checker" and says you may think of it as a go /no go gauge (because it works the same way pass/fail.

And others think it is being called a go/no-go gauge which it is not, in the industry accepted use of the term which refers to gauges for checking the firearm headspace, NOT the ammunition.

SO, Gentlemen, please, cool your jets, and figure out how we can all get on the same page with our terms, otherwise we cannot communicate effectively.

My standard for firearms and ammunition terminology is the definitions and glossaries in firearms and reloading manuals. Pretty sure that also what SAAMI uses, overall. But, people are people and some of them will use terms as they define them, and define them differently than the standard references.

One of my personal gripes is people posting how they are loading to the bullet ogive. They are and are not "loading to the ogive". They are loading to a specific point ON the ogive, as by standard definitions the ogive is the entire sloped or curved portion of the bullet. Ogive is NOT a specific point.

My point is, if you don't use terms the same way the rest of us do, if you don't use terms the same way the standard technical references to, we have a hard time knowing exactly what you are talking about.

And, if you refuse to use terms the same way we do, once you have learned their correct usage, that would make you a candidate for employment by MSN/NBC :rolleyes::D

chamber checker would be the OP in the title and original post, I don't know why everyone keeps acting like it was my idea.. Still agreed that cartridge checker is what was originally being referenced, although the OP was off on his terminology, I still feel what he meant should have been clear enough based on his question.....

Back to the OP's question

I use a 2 in 1 gauge that checks the case and loaded cartridge. I check the cases after resizing, then the loaded ammo when finished. I do both as it is fired out of a couple different firearms I want to ensure reliability across my platforms and completing plunk tests with all ammo in multiple guns is not a viable option in my personal opinion.

Last edited:
OGIVE
The curved portion of a bullet forward of the bearing surface.

See, using a nice single definition gets everyone on the same channel. Now as 44 AMP points out the ogive of a bullet is not a single point. I used the SAAMI glossary to get that definition. I could likely also find it in any of several reloading manuals or manuals like The ABCs of Reloading.

Ron

Ron

Back