Do you reloaders use a chamber checker?

ciwsguy

I do, for every single cartridge I make. Use a chamber checker in lieu of the gun chamber. I found a few rounds that didn’t fit the checker, usually didn’t fully “ “plunk” into the chamber. Also found a few that didn’t easily drop from the checker.

How about you fellow reloaders out there. Do you use a chamber checker on every cartridge you load?
Perhaps cartridge checker would be a more accurate term.

Last edited:
Never used one myself. I do use the firearm chambers themselves to check the first few sized cases when setting up a sizing die for the first time and that's it. And same when I set up the seating die and/or change bullet profiles.

I didn’t used to check every one until shooting some .223 reloads in an AR and experienced a jammed live round in the chamber. Took the reload batch home and checked the remaining rounds in the gauge. Found three others that wouldn’t completely plunk the gauge and sat too proud. From that point on, I started checking every reload.

I use a chamber checker in the reloading course I teach, simply because firearms are not allowed in the class room. They seem to work well.

Don

When I started to reload, cartridge check gauges were not as popular as they seem to be today. So for my 45 ACP I used the barrel as a chamber gauge to check loaded rounds. Later when I bought a 45 ACP chamber gauge, I found that some of my loaded rounds were a bit oversize. The gauge is made to the minimum chamber dimensions so that the loaded rounds will fit any firearm, but your loaded rounds usually need to fit your firearm(s) only. I have gauges for all of the pistol rounds that I reload, plus some of the rifle rounds. I use them for checking my die setup and generally audit the loaded rounds, but don't always check each one. A gauge is easier to use than removing the barrel or cylinder to check rounds.

For your rounds that didn't fall in/out of the checker, did they fall in/out of the firearm chamber? If they fit the chamber, then they are OK to use in your firearm.

On 9mm recommendation I got one when I got my 9mm.

Waste of money in that case. Wilson, showed many rounds failed the Wilson, they passed fine when I pulled the barrel off the pistol. hmmm

As near as I could figure it had to do with brass, most the Wilson did not like some it did.

Life is too short, if I want to know I pull the barrel.

The Wilson I can use but keep in mind that it has to be way out on the Wilson and not work (I had one that was obviously bad and it failed in both).

I do, and I recommend it although there are other options. You can just plunk test, but that only tells you if the load will work in your gun. If you have multiple guns you want to run it in that is not ideal though.

I run the EGW case gauges in 9mm. which also act as a loaded cartridge checker. I check resized brass for length in the gauge prior to being ready to reload (After cleaning resizing) and then again after loading. When checking 1000 9mm after resizing, I had about 15 that did not pass. With those eliminated I generally don't have any fail after loading, but I do find one every now and again.

for 223, I generally set up my dies and check casings. to make sure everything is in spec, then I check randomly as I go, about every 50-100 casings or so to make sure everything is still in spec

30-06, I need to get a gauge, Its my newest caliber and I am still getting there.

Last edited:
On rifle rounds just for initial set up-on pistol I use the pistol chamber.
Never on all rounds-just for set up only.
It's a little over kill for every round.

Good to help get set up.
But I only use them after setup if I think something is off like a possible bulged case from a crooked bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Answer: What's a "chamber checker"?
Think go nogo gauges. a case gauge only measures the case and is generally set to max SAAMI specs. a cartridge gauge generally is set to minimum SAAMI specs, and does max bullet seating length and sometimes ogive. the EGW gauges are cut with a chamber reamer and if the loaded round fits, it should fit in any gun for the caliber.

On rifle rounds just for initial set up-on pistol I use the pistol chamber.
Never on all rounds-just for set up only.
It's a little over kill for every round.
Not terrible for 9mm, mine is a block with 50 gauges in it (egw), drop in 50, pull any bad ones, box em up.

Chamber Checker? I think you mean case or cartridge gauge. Some use their barrel to plunk test loaded rounds, in that specific gun's chamber. Gauges are set at SAAMI Specs.
Back to: Chamber Checker: Chambers (and throat, or leade) can vary between different firearms using the same cartridge. I load very different ammo for each of three 223 rifles. There are tools for measuring chambers, or start a bullet in a clean, unprimed, sized once-fired-in-that-rifle brass, and then close the action on that dummy round. Measure, record, replicate.

I check them all if it's a new setup, if it's still set up from the last time I will spot check until I forget to do it.
Then I don't worry about it.

I do, for every single cartridge I make. Use a chamber checker in lieu of the gun chamber. I found a few rounds that didn’t fit the checker, usually didn’t fully “ “plunk” into the chamber. Also found a few that didn’t easily drop from the checker.

How about you fellow reloaders out there. Do you use a chamber checker on every cartridge you load?
Perhaps cartridge checker would be a more accurate term.
i have not even started reloading yet, but i have indeed bought a few items thus far, and a gauge for .45 ACP and 9MM are already waiting for me to use them. next will be .38 special and 357 to the collection. better in my opinion to dissemble a gun for doing this.

Back