Do you let other people shoot your firearms?

Yes I let others shoot my guns. I don't loan my guns out unless you are a child of mine or a very close friend. I did loan a gun to a very close friend and asked him about it. He was positive that he had returned it. I know that that he hadn't. I figured he would find it sooner or later and about 18 months after he borrowed I heard a knock at my front door. I opened the door and my buddy was standing there looking very sheepish holding my rifle. He had found stuck in the back of a closet. I had a good laugh.

If they're in my presence at the range then I would let just about anyone shoot my firearms unless I had a good reason not to. I'm especially willing to let a new shooter try them.

Letting people borrow my firearms is another matter. I can only think of a handful that I would feel comfortable lending them to and I'm not really comfortable with borrowing guns myself either. If it's something common that I could easily replace then that's one thing, but I don't want to be responsible for something happening to a firearm that's meaningful to you.

EDIT: I'd loan a firearm for the range or hunting but never for defensive purposes. I'll help you shop around but your protection is on you.

Yes, in my presence and under my supervision.
I had long wanted a Colt Cobra, another shooter let me fire his, it was then I realized I didn't like aluminum frames. I got a Detective Special instead. It was thanks to other shooters letting me shoot their Glocks that I realized I didn't like Glocks.

I'm going to chime in again on this thread and just say I better let other folk shoot my guns because of all the folk on the ranges that have let me shoot their guns.

I got to shoot a genuine WWII BAR (I channeled my inner Kirby (TV series "Combat!" reference) during the experience). And also got to shoot a WWII full auto Tommy gun.

I've got to shoot .44 magnum revolvers and some very expensive guns and I am and should be thankful for the experience and I should pay it forward.

That said, I'm talking about folks at the range, shooting my ammunition in my guns and me standing right there.

A slight variation on this theme is if a friend shows an interest in shooting, (someone who is not a shooter) I offer to take them to the range, my guns, my ammunition, my ears and eyes protection etc., etc. and they pay our range fee. I've done this several times and so far it's always been a positive experience for both of us and we've never caused any "anxiety" at the range, due in part to safety lectures at home before we set out for the range.

I feel like this is a very small way to give back to a sport I have enjoyed a lot.

I don't get asked very often but if I am shooting with guys I know they can and do shoot my guns, however...

I will only allow relatives or close friends shoot my M1 Garands...with the M1, there is a chance of doubling if you "milk" the trigger.

Do you let other people shoot your firearms?

yes. i have been taking a new guy as my "guest" at my range. he has an interest in guns, and was interested when he was younger, but did not pursue it.

now he can buy guns, and become a member of the range on his own. i took the time to give him some advice, and also on how to do a field strip and cleaning.

i should mention i did the best i could to educate him on proper safety procedures, stance, and general gun control.

he did really very well at the range, and was ever so appreciative i took the time to help him.

When I goto an outdoor range and have something w/ me that is unusual, I encourage others to shoot them.

Examples are any military rifles I own, to include a BP Springfield Trapdoor cavalry carbine in 45/70 and my Sharps cavalry carbine in 50/70 Government. Few shooters will ever get the opportunity to fire one of these pieces of history and normally jump at the chance.

Sharps50-70.jpeg

ABSOLUTELY.........with a caveat.

I don't lend out weapons to anyone. If I'm invited along,,,SURE:D

If I bring some of my collectibles and unique firearms to the range and people are interested, I absolutely encourage them to shoot and enjoy.

I take enjoyment out their thrill and the camaraderie it develops.

Back