Do you let other people shoot your firearms?

I've been offered/allowed to shoot other range buddies guns, and returned the favor to those people. I've only done this at the range, never allowed anyone to take my firearm home with them, as one poster said, a lot of people don't respect other peoples property.

Since I only shoot on Federal lands with close friends; yes. I even like to slum sometimes and shoot a Glock.
9UcPCy4.gif

(Chill Glock owners, it was a joke.)
4bcefJM.gif

I've been asked and invited many people to shoot my guns. I feel complimented by those who have asked they feel comfortable and trust me enough to teach them the basics. Single moms to guys who've never held a gun before that out of curiosity and out of fearful of the current climate want to know how to protect themselves. If I feel someone is asking just to joy ride my firearms I tell them of course they can shoot by guns, go buy all the ammunition they think they want to shoot and show up. I never get asked again with that answer.

Those who ask I know are curious and want to get into the sport and learn how to defend themselves I'll bring the ammo and spend an afternoon with them. Every time those I've done this with have gone out and purchased a firearm, most have come back and asked for more guidance with their particular gun. A few started out as hardcore anti 2A people. IMHO donating a few rounds of ammo to enlighten an antigun person into an enthusiast is money better spent than joining the NRA.

Lending out a firearm? I've only done this 2, maybe 3 times in my years and they were hunting rifles or .22's. Never a pistol. My rule of thumb is if I couldn't trust that person to run a chainsaw, they ain't taking one of my guns home.

I let other people try my guns, with my ammo or factory ammo. I don't trust other people's reloads -- especially the guys who proudly proclaim that they like to load 'em "a little on the warm side."

Good Distinction !!!

The OP never said "allow two or more new shooters to handle your guns at the same time?". Apparently one or two paranoid people are reading a lot into the question.
Point well taken; rather than bring paranoid, private and protective. I gladly share the exchange of usage, at the range. I also do not ask but if offered, usually and gladly accept. ...... :)

As far as loaning, I only loan to my Grandsons as I at least have "some" control over their usage and they show respect for my "stuff" ...... :rolleyes:

I use to be more liberal and accommodating and paid the price .... :mad:

Be Safe !!!

If I trust them to handle them responsibly, they can shoot all they want until the ammo is gone.

When my family goes shooting together (dad, uncle, brothers, maybe a cousin or two), there could easily be 100+ firearms laid out in the back of trucks, cars, or on tables.

Everybody has a little different taste and variety, and it’s fun too shoot something you don’t have, or something that’s not real common. Want shoot my dads .450 double? Just ask. Want to shoot my brothers type 38 or 99 Arisakas? Just ask. Want to shoot my brothers WWII hand made black market copy of a Mauser(ish) pistol? Just ask. Nobody just up and grabs something, always ask, only time there might be a no is if there is very little ammo, or the gun is having some issues worked out.

Yes...all the time. Many times, my firearms are the first time some of those folks have ever shot a firearm, especially when it comes to handguns. For the most part, I find that new shooters are more careful at the line than so many so called "experienced" shooters.

If you want to come hunting with me, I can loan you a shotgun or .22. We can pick up a hunting license for you on the way out of town.

Shooting pistols? Sure, but I need to know you as a shooter otherwise under very very close supervision. Muzzle discipline is so very easy to lose with a pistol.

Heavy recoil loads? Not until I am sure you have the skills and strength to handle it. Those youtube videos of people losing control of handcannons are NOT funny to me.

Loan out? Close family or dear friends- not the arms that are dear to me, otherwise okay.

I have been friendlier when I was younger. But now in my validated Mature years... I am a self described VIGILANT CURMUDGEON.

95 % of the folks at my Club’s Range are wary & Cheap. So I won’t make the first move of generosity. If they want to shoot my guns they have to buy the ammo that is used. Back at ya’

Under supervision with my ammo I have no problem letting people shoot my guns. It's often as much fun as shooting them myself, especially if the person is a new shooter.

As far as loans go it's a short list, both the persons I'm willing to loan to and guns I will loan them.

I often have people ask if they can shoot my guns and I have no problem as long as they use my ammo. I've had people watch me with my Black Powder guns and the children always want to give it a try. I love seeing the look on their faces when they touch off a round.

I think it's very important to let someone feel how a certain gun fits in their hands before they buy one and if I have that model I let them shoot mine.

The only danger I saw was when a Yugoslav Mauser and an Enfield were both on the gun bench.

You must monitor the guy’s hands so that he never reaches for the wrong ammo.

And this guy was a very experienced shooter—but only with modern guns.

I'll only loan my gun to someone I'm willing to go to jail for because of the mistake. That leaves my three brothers, my oldest friend whom I've known for over 50 years, and my nephews.

The people that I've let shoot my .50BMG bolt gun at our club's range have to go through a couple of runs with a snap cap before they get to use live ammo. This lets them get used to the trigger and lets me adjust the stock to them as well as checking their eye relief. I've gotten more enjoyment from kids (under parental supervision) shooting it than when I do. Every kid gets the still smoking brass as a parting gift. The look on their face is truly priceless.
OTOH, only experienced pistol shooters get to shoot the Auto Mag.

If someone shows interest in one of my guns at the range I'll invite them to shoot it. And I have taken several people shooting for their first time. (This starts with a good safety lesson at my house, and practice handling unloaded guns.) I won't loan guns out without me going with them, though.

Back