Do you keep a loaded handgun in your gunsafe?

I see it as no different as a person using a GunVault at their bedside with a loaded gun in it. One can say it's dangerous to have one loaded. But my rebuttal woud be: So? My belief is all guns are ALWAYS loaded per Cooper's Rule #1. That's my mindset and that's my wife's. So, if they're physically loaded or my mindset is such, then I automatically operate/handling them as such. There are no kids in my house. So logic dictates to have a handgun ready to go.

The long of the short....Yes.

I have a smaller safe for my handguns, and yes, some of them are loaded. Unfortunately, I don't remember which ones (CRS syndrome) :confused:

I don't really worry about it. I live alone, and I have at least twenty handguns laying around the house in plain sight. All of them are loaded. The only one I know exactly where it is is the 1911 I carried today (next to my wallet and keys); it will probably be a different one tomorrow. I also have 8 (I think) long guns in a vertical rack beside my bed: shotguns, full autos, and a couple of suppressed rifles. I know they are loaded! If I had to defend myself against a surprise invasion, I'd grab one of the suppressed rifles first. I say "What did you say? I didn't hear you." enough as it is.

Yes, absolutely. I think a loaded handgun or two in the big safe is another layer of defense. I have two in mine, both are extremely reliable and coincidentally have an understated appearance (Sig P220 and Springfield XD 45). I deliberately put them below the "eye candy" on the shelves above, figuring that an average perp would be distracted by the bling briefly, giving a few more seconds for engagement.

but should there be any concern with wearing out the spring in the magazine when doing this over long periods?

Not at all, i keep all my mags loaded and they work every time.

I keep a 1911 condition 1 in my safes, 1 in each. If someone makes me open them to get at my goodies, they will face the 45, well I hope it goes that way.

That could be a new game, try and find the "unloaded" weapon in the house!
The only boomers in the safe that arent loaded are the ones I just ran out of food for.

I do! But it is in it's case! I suppose it would be more of a benefit to have it exposed at the closest access on the swing of the safe door! I have never given it much thought!

"Well then, with all due respect to Firemen...let them be careful with guns they run across while pursuing thier duties."

Problem is, with a loaded gun in a fire, it's a danger in a radius anywhere it would be dangerous if someone simply pulled the trigger.

The heat of a fire will "cook off" a round in the chamber, at which point it is as dangerous as if the trigger were pulled.

loaded in the safe!

To add on to my last reply...I thought about how I keep a loaded gun "stashed" in the places I frequent the most...ie...the vehicle,garage,living room and bedroom.
God forbid by the time I need to open my safe to aquire a loaded weapon,I am in BIG trouble anyway!

Oh yeah. Absolutely.

M&P15X w/ loaded mag (not chambered), and Sig 226 ready to roll.

Of course, those are LAST resort. I have a few ready to go in several ares in my home... just in case.

The good thing is that I can be firesafe throughout the home and the chances for the fire department needing to be there is nil...whereas criminals in a worsening economy would maliciously seek victims out thereby giving a greater necessity to needing a round chambered at a moments notice, or no notice. It'd be nice to be able to adopt a household policy that would provide emergency personnel a safe enviroment to respond to...but the criminals wont let me darnit.

It may sound weird, but I keep a small safe [two gun] for my primary use handguns and another for my rarely shot "safe queens." Those within the "primary use" safe are always loaded, while those relegated to the "safe queen" safe are left unloaded.

I generally take one of the "loaded" handguns out at night, while leaving the other within the safe. In addition, almost always, a shotgun is somewhere nearby.

Last edited:
Loaded gun in gunsafe??

I don't have one (gun safe), but lot's of guns loaded around the house. No children in the house and my grandchild cannot function any of my guns as she is a special needs child. All are protected and out-a-sight with reloads next to them.

Here's an unfortunate story about having a gun, being trained to use it... And what happens if it's NOT loaded (read: round in chamber).

Details escape me but remember that escaped con in Georgia a few years ago who kidnapped that woman? He escaped from the courthouse, killed a deputy and took another's gun??? Well a seasoned DHS Special Agent was fixing his new condo floors off duty when that same **** was looking for a place to hide out. Crook came in, the Agent drew, pulled the trigger and....... Nothing.

Crook opened fire and killed the Agent.

I know first hand what training my fallen brother had. Qualifying with all issued/approved weapons every third month... 1000s of rounds a year, plus tactical training and awareness lessons (being prepared). If there's one thing the big fed agencies do well and better than most law enforcement agencies (at least DHS with their Special Agents, IMO), it's teaching firearms and tactics, and keeping those skills fairly-well honed (alot of shooting).

Of course it's what you make of it...

Unfortunately, he didn't do a brass (or press) check before packing that day and it cost him his life. Had a round been chambered, and assumming he was an average shooting DHS Special Agent... There'd have been one dead (or incapacitated) bad guy, one less kidnapping and one still alive officer.

Know your weapon status at all times. If a weapon is to be used as a defensive tool, it's utterly USELESS if not loaded, accessible and ready.

We must learn from the mistakes of others or we are doomed to make those same mistakes ourselves... Even if we are highly trained and experienced law enforcement officers.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/12/atlanta.shooting/index.html

It's been a serious violation of policy to NOT have a round chambered while on duty... I treat off duty the same. The only time my weapons are not hot is during drills that require it and when cleaning. They are stored properly when not being worn... Will this prevent a tragedy like the one above? Maybe. Maybe not. But it'll give me (and hopefully you) a better chance to come out of it as the victor!!! Keep a winning mindset, practice safety and tactics... And never sell yourself short by being unprepared or forgetting something that should be second nature.

Prepare to WIN folks!!!

God bless the fallen hero's soul and his family. Rest in peace brother!

Last edited:
Back