Do you have bayonets for your rifles?

Yes but . . .

My mosin came with a bayonet . . . but it does not fit well. Need to file on something to make it fit.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

I have both a spike and blade bayonet for my Lee Enfield No4 Mk1, a bayonet for my 1909 Argentine, an M7 bayonet that fits my Mossberg 590A1 pump shotgun and my 16" mid length AR and my 20" AR.

I have a couple of others that fit 98 Mausers but don't have a rifle for them. I like knives/edged weapons almost as much as guns. Almost...

... BFA's(if applicable. There's no BFA for a bolt action), ...
Believe it or not, I have two bolt actions that are threaded for BFAs. The Swedes used wooden bullet blanks and they threaded the muzzle with a BFA that shredded the wooden bullets to allow practice with no backstop.

Military surplus rifle collections should have their respective bayonets.

I have a model of each of our US Military rifles since we started using cartridge rifles.

The 50-70 Trapdoor, Model 73, 45-70, Krag, Model 1917, Model 1903a3, Garand's, Carbine, Model 1903A4. The next group are semi civilian versions of the M14, M16a1, M16a2 and M4.

Except for the 50-70 and A4 I have the correct version for each. I haven't found one for the 50-70 and of course the A4 doesn't use one.

This picture was taken before I got the bayonet for the 45-70.

DSCN0071.JPG

I began my milsurp collection with bayonets. But the craze soon cooled down. They take up room. It is pretty dorky to shoot the rifle at the range with the bayonet on. The bayonet upsets the balance of the rifle, and affects the poi and group. I still like to get them if I come across an unusual specimen at good price. But I don't have to have one for each rifle.

-TL

Military rifle collections, especially with matched bayonets, are really neat! I must, however, admit selling my inherited Arisaka rifles including one pristine and unmodified Type 38 with the built-in and hinged bayonet. I'm not positive it was even called a bayonet and it was shaped more like a spear, not at all like a knife.

Last edited:
Even in Nam we didn't carry bayonets........................................................

I did, we did. the bayonet was indispensable. I could dig a hole with a bayonet about as fast as I could with an entrenching tool which I didn't carry (do to the weight). I kept it sharp and I used it to untangle my gun (M60) out of wait-a-minute bushes. It would slice the c-rat bread and hold the slices over a little fire to make toast. It was good for poking rice bags looking for weapons.

I used it for everything (it and my little silver US boyscout type knife).

I cannot fathom an infantryman not having a bayonet.

Even now I keep my M9 bayonet in my 4 wheeler. One of the best tools out there for fixing fences and such.

Back