Do You Guys Print Your Own Targets?

I always bring my own self printed targets, and I use painters tape to stick them up. People who know me laugh that I can be so frugal when it comes to targets, but there's nothing funny about wasting money on pre-printed range targets.
I don't find that using an inkjet printer to produce targets is in any way "frugal" considering the cost of those ink cartridges...could hardly be worse than if they filled them with gold.
However, the only thing I use paper targets is for checking the accuracy of some load...while most of my shooting is done using a self-constructed swinging set of steel bowling pins.
I have both an inkjet and a laser printer, but I prefer using the MidwayUSA targets for assessing the accuracy of loads inasmuch as I take the targets, enter the data for the load on them, 3-hole punch them, and put them in a three-ring binder...one for each gun I own. The targets from MidwayUSA are printed on that heavier stock...which in my opinion works better than common copy/printer 20 lb paper for achieving in those binders.

I get most of my targets from the gun show but have down loaded from the web . I can say this about the web targets . I've only visited the site/sites once . I down load the target and keep a master copy . I then just make copies from that . Why did I post that ? Just something to think about if you hope to generate traffic . Most people will only need to be there once . :)

I get ink from Amazon.....3 sets of 4 different colors for 10 bucks. Hardly expensive. Most of the printing I do is black and white only any way......

I get ink from Amazon.....3 sets of 4 different colors for 10 bucks. Hardly expensive. Most of the printing I do is black and white only any way......
Are those refiled? I tried refilling some H.P. cartridges from a kit the "guaranteed" them to work...they would not. I also tried some cheap "genuine" H.P. refiled cartridges...they would not work either. Yup...saved a ton of money.

Walgreens pharmacies also refill inkjet cartridges (or used to). I've taken empties for two different printers to them to be refilled, and neither attempt was successful.

Inkjet printers are a rip-off. They price the printers low so they can keep whacking you for the ink cartridges.

Does anybody know of a site that prints out large targets using multiple standard 8.5x11 sheets of paper?
Yes.
PosteRazor - a free program to make large targets from multiple pages.
Since youse guys ignored my previous recommendation, here's their web site link.
http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/
I've been making all kinds of large images with this program for years.
Very easy to use.
P.S.
Again - convert the images to line art to save ink.
Lots of programs can do that, either by just reducing brightness and contrast or by an actual conversion from the original artwork.
A very elaborate but confusing to use program, that does all kinds of things with photos and images, is the gimp.
https://www.gimp.org/
But if you're willing to put in the effort to learn it, it just about equals Photoshop and it's free.

Last edited:
Great info, G.

I use GIMP regularly, and even with quite a few hours in Photoshop, it's not always as intuitive... But for anyone willing to put some time into learning it, GIMP can be very much as powerful as Photoshop.

Also, Posterazer looks really cool. I may use it to make some bigger targets for the site just to see how it turns out. Thanks man.

UPDATE:

I actually was talking about how I needed to figure out how to make targets print to proper dimensions, and I realized it has a lot to do with what printing options one uses...

Internet explorer shrunk everything with no way to make it bigger. CHROME on the other hand, with "fit to page" UNCHECKED when printing, seems to print the actual size of the PDF properly. The best option seems to be Adobe Reader, setting to print to "actual size". The dimensions came out perfectly with both Chrome and Adobe Reader with those settings, but your mileage may vary.

I know that's not important for casual-type targets, but for drill targets, or sight-in targets with a measured grid, this may be a lot more important. So just a heads up on how to fix that problem. It's mostly on the user's end, unfortunately.

Also, animal/game targets coming this weekend.

Working on a squirrel target, rabbit, deer... Maybe a rat target or something as well. Lots of stuff in the pipeline, folks. :)

I actually use Microsoft paint and just put 5 highlighter orange rectangles, one I'm each corner and one in the middle. It works really well out to 100 yards but I would like something a little bigger when using iron sights.

Back