Do You Guys Print Your Own Targets?

Xerox copies are a LOT cheaper than running a printer and using those expensive ink cartridges.
For sure.
I convert images to a simple line drawing before printing them.
There are many ways to do that with free software.
Either by converting the images or just adjusting the brightness and contrast settings in a photo editor.
Then filling in with markers makes good looking targets without using much ink.

Yep. I owned a printing company most of my adult life so when I retired I had a couple of computers with all the major graphic arts software and a color printer. I drew up various designs using the many targets I see online as guides. I use the same design 95% of the time but every once in a while I'll change the layout or colors just for the fun of it. If my color printer ever dies I'll probably take the file to a printing company and have a few thousand printed or change it to an all black design and use my B&W printer.

Most people, if they have a printer, have ink-jet printers. The ink does not last long and is very expensive. The few paper targets I use come from Midway, printed on the heavier target stock paper, are bound as typical of the old school days, "tablet" of paper. In my particular instance, I have the ability to make and print my own targets on standard paper, but would not do it inasmuch as I do not think it is cost effective and the Midway targets are of a better paper quality. Likewise the alternatives to printing one's own targets (sticky dots, paper plates, etc.) as posted above, seem to be a better way of doing things.

Thanks for your continued feedback, you guys. :)

To be fair, despite using inkjet myself, it is ideal that someone uses a laser printer (I assume Xerox copies are) to keep costs extremely low.

But for those of you wondering about cost vs. buying targets... An average page printed with black ink only (how I intend to print these targets most of the time) will cost about 5 cents a page, give or take. Now consider the brick of paper. $5 for "average" grade stuff, 500 sheets.

Essentially, you've just printed 100 targets for $6. Sure, they may be smaller, but looking at the price of commercial targets, and how many you got out of printing your own, I still feel that with an inkjet printer, it's a pretty good deal. And of course, no ordering/waiting online, no shipping costs, etc. In my experience, I've been gouged pretty often for targets in my LGS's, but your mileage may certainly vary.

If you guys are wondering which targets I'm talking about in particular, I'm talking about those Champion diamond sight-in targets. Which I love. But quality and cost-wise, I'd rather print my own diamond sight-in targets.

I use 8.5x11 110# card stock for my targets. Nothing beats a nice heavy paper for that application. The bullets cut nice, clean holes in the targets.

Snyper, I'm looking to do sight-in targets with probably a 1-inch grid, but one issue I'm having is the fact that a 8.5x11 PDF can't actually print at full size as it would seem most printers can't print on the entirety of a page...
That really won't matter so much as long as the grids measure correctly.

I print them on 8.5 X 11, but with any luck only actually use a small percentage of that area.

I also like targets with multiple bullseyes and aim-points so I don't need to keep changing them so much.

That really won't matter so much as long as the grids measure correctly.

I print them on 8.5 X 11, but with any luck only actually use a small percentage of that area.

I also like targets with multiple bullseyes and aim-points so I don't need to keep changing them so much.

Gotcha. But I'll still experiment with it just for my own pursuit of perfection lol

I use 8.5x11 110# card stock for my targets. Nothing beats a nice heavy paper for that application. The bullets cut nice, clean holes in the targets.

Will the 110 print out of a standard inkjet printer? I've never used anything except the typical office stuff, but that card stock would definitely make some nice targets. :)

It all depends on the printer and the path the paper takes through it.
Some will and others won't.
The only way to know is to try it.

I always bring my own self printed targets, and I use painters tape to stick them up. People who know me laugh that I can be so frugal when it comes to targets, but there's nothing funny about wasting money on pre-printed range targets.

Does anybody know of a site that prints out large targets using multiple standard 8.5x11 sheets of paper? I'd like to use four sheets of paper with a quarter of the bullseye on each sheet to make one large bulleye.

Does anybody know of a site that prints out large targets using multiple standard 8.5x11 sheets of paper? I'd like to use four sheets of paper with a quarter of the bullseye on each sheet to make one large bulleye.

Hmm... Working on it. ;)

Multi-page targets are something I'm looking to make. Also, animal/game targets going up this weekend.

It's all a work in progress, really. Still, I'm glad that there is some sort of demand for those kinds of targets, and that they're not a waste of time lol

But if shooting targets of Hitler, Bin Laden, or Al-Baghdadi is "offensive" to someone, then so be it. That's on them...

I have been to ranges that forbade such targets, and one otherwise good range nearby even prohibits silhouette targets.

A couple of thoughts.
Most printers will have trouble printing heavy cover stock. Most require the paper to make a 180 degree turn but some have kind of a back door so the paper goes straight thru. Check your printers manual.
Printing on multiple pages can be done but you would need the right software and printer. As said previously, most printers will not print to the edge of the page so when you hang them they will have to over lap. Might just be easier to buy a piece of poster board and draw a target on it.

I have an el cheapo Brother Ink jet printer and it has no problems with the thicker papers......But that can be an issue. If you can use the heavier paper you will love the results.

I take left over wrapping paper, packing paper, etc, a stapler and a can of spray paint. Staple to the back board, spray paint a 't' and it's ready.

I make and print my own targets. Safer for the computer that way. I can also adjust the targets to exactly the way I want them. I can do multi-piece targets too.

I'll be looking at that. For years I have just carried white legal pads and post its because of cost. Printing out more specific things sounds good.

Back