Do you clean your guns? How often / how long does it take?

Even if one is crunched for time I cannot see why taking 90 seconds to put an oil-soaked patch through the barrel is a hassle?
A childhood lesson is my parents would absolutely clobber me if I put anything metal away without protecting it against rust.

Guns I don't shoot may go a decade of more without getting cleaned.

Guns I don't hunt with get cleaned after every trip.

Hunting guns get wiped down every evening, and cleaned at the end of the season.

My "sporting clays" gun gets cleaned after every outing.

/\/\/\
That "life lesson" from my parents (thankfully both are still around) was provided to me at a very young age.
Even putting away my snow sled, last task was to wipe it down and then run oily rag over the metal runners. :)

27 guns, and I have no clue as to my cleaning frequency. If it looks dirty and I think it's time for a cleaning, that's when it gets done. Some I shoot frequently , some only get shot once a year, some I have not shot in years My Black powder guns need to be cleaned after each session for sure, and my .22 rimfires get cleaned with much more frequency. My AK47, I don't think i've ever cleaned it since I bought it in 2011 and it's got about 1500 rounds through it.

After every use I break it down to manufacturer recommendations for cleaning. At least twice a year I break all down "fired or not " to the point I feel comfortable doing so. Lever action, pump and semi auto takes a little time " Depending on you" but bolt action and single shot, just a few minutes. I never dissemble bolts unless I have to. Really no use to except dropped in mud puddle or repair.

Less than five minutes for the Ruger Mark IV or M&P (standard) .22 handguns.

They see about 200-400 rds. between internal cleaning.
There is no magical, ancient ceremony required. Ballistol on Q-tips and small patches.

:) What is actually important for function? Shortening the recoil springs on both guns (as advised) when it is >> decisive << for allowing cheap ammo to reliably function. Now they both are 99.8 or 100% reliable with cheap Federal ammo.

This is Far more important for reliable function in my .22 handguns :cool: than doing a Zen Buddhist cleaning exercise.

Last edited:
Back