Do you clean your guns? How often / how long does it take?

So master class competitiors cleaning their 22 rimfire rifles after each 40 or 60 shot match are doing it too much?
Apples & Oranges
Correction... Apples & Brussel Sprouts

Rimfire aside, I would bet that < 1% of shooters use plain lead bullets
The vast majority of modern jacketed/coated ammunition is immaculately clean compared to rimfire
I would be willing to bet that a majority of shooters do more harm than good by “over cleaning”
Or at the very least improperly cleaning

I hardly shoot my own guns any more, but I clean other peoples guns A LOT! For a full disassembly, cleaning, lube, reassembly it takes about half hour to an hour for most guns.
You seriously should invest in an ultrasonic cleaner
I can go from thrashed to like new in just minutes of hands on
All with almost no effort and likely at a fraction of what you spend on supplies

My mentor was a High Master pistol shooter, and for .22 pistols it’s clean once a brick or when your accuracy degrades.
What discipline? Some don't need MOA at worst 50 meters down range

Probably not international free pistol.

Last edited:
You seriously should invest in an ultrasonic cleaner
I am a gunsmith. I own a Lyman Turbo 1500 ultrasonic cleaner (the BIG one). When I clean a gun, it comes completely apart (and I do mean completely), run it in the ultrasonic for 20-25 minutes hour, scrub any areas that need special attention, lube it, then put it back together. If I had to do it with brushes and solvent, I would have quit a long time ago. Anyone who says "just a few minutes" either can't read a clock or is fooling themselves. It takes 5-10 minutes to disassemble most guns, and 10-15 minutes to reassemble. Add it up, it's 40-60 minutes.

I am a gunsmith. I own a Lyman Turbo 1500 ultrasonic cleaner (the BIG one). When I clean a gun, it comes completely apart (and I do mean completely), run it in the ultrasonic for 20-25 minutes hour, scrub any areas that need special attention, lube it, then put it back together. If I had to do it with brushes and solvent, I would have quit a long time ago. Anyone who says "just a few minutes" either can't read a clock or is fooling themselves. It takes 5-10 minutes to disassemble most guns, and 10-15 minutes to reassemble. Add it up, it's 40-60 minutes.
Some don't disassemble and just dunk the whole thing into the tank. They may blow dry afterwards, which is not adequate. Water may still be trapped in tight spots. I don't want to invest on ultrasonic cleaner, as it doesn't really help that much.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

So I replier earlier but have cleaned my guns since and been thinking about it.

Generally after each range trip. Or every 6 months if they are sitting.

How long. Generally 10min per firearm.

I use bore tech eliminator, does a good job on carbon and copper
4 patches
10-15 brush strokes
4 patches
let it sit 5min (2-5 recommended, but no ammonia so you can leave it overnight if you feel like it)
then dry patches until clean
lightly oiled patch to protect

During the 5min while it is sitting is when I clean the rest of the gun, bolt, slide, etc.

From what my buddy told me, his drill instructions mottos was "a clean gun is a happy gun, and happy guns save lives!" Makes sense to me.

Some don't disassemble and just dunk the whole thing into the tank
That doesn't work well. The various nooks and crannies don't get cleaned out, pins and screws don't get clean, breach block doesn't get clean, etc. You have to completely disassemble the gun if you want it completely clean. If it doesn't matter to you, do it any way you want, but I've done it both ways and am not satisfied with the results if the guns are not completely disassembled. And since I do this for a living, I don't want my customers telling me their gun isn't clean.

That doesn't work well. The various nooks and crannies don't get cleaned out, pins and screws don't get clean, breach block doesn't get clean, etc. You have to completely disassemble the gun if you want it completely clean. If it doesn't matter to you, do it any way you want, but I've done it both ways and am not satisfied with the results if the guns are not completely disassembled. And since I do this for a living, I don't want my customers telling me their gun isn't clean.
I know it is no good. I know people do that, and claim the magic power of the ultrasonic cleaner.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My practice is to clean after every shooting session. Then, I started reading that with a .22 it is beneficial to leave the barrel seasoned with the ammo you are using and not run a brush or patch down it. I tried this but have found that for me, I still need to clean after every session.

I clean my compensator about every 1000 rounds. Lead will really build up in one and I've seen tumbling do to the accumulation in the comp.

Volquartsen came out with a Lead Pulverizer recently that works wonders on their compensator. Screw it in and it breaks up all the lead and leave your comp clean. On my other comps I use a mixture of Ammonia and Hydrogen Peroxide.

When I run the brush and patch system I run 10 swipes with a nylon brush followed by a couple of wet patches and then dry until they come out clean.

Cleaning can take anywhere from 10 - 30 minutes depending on how dirty the gun was.

Anyone who says "just a few minutes" either can't read a clock or is fooling themselves.
Says the one who failed to read the part where I specifically said "hands on" time. ;)

it comes completely apart (and I do mean completely)
One of the benefits of using an U/S cleaner is not having to completely disassemble the firearm.
A simple field strip is all that is needed most of the time.
It's rare that I've had an issue not getting all areas clean.
To each his own I guess.

run it in the ultrasonic for 20-25 minutes hour
I would be curious to know how you are placing the firearm and what solution you are using.
Even when removing cosmoline I've never had to run one for an hour.
Most of the time I'll run straight water for five minutes, then another five in M-Pro7.

It takes 5-10 minutes to disassemble most guns, and 10-15 minutes to reassemble.
No offense but :eek:
I ran a P90 and an AUG earlier this week, both take less than 2 minutes to break down and reassemble.
Also ran a K9 which takes maybe an extra minute because of the little grip screws and slide back plate.
I must be doing something wrong :D

Is gun - cleaning more enjoyable, and relaxing...

..compared to watching tv news?:)

Does this increase the appeal of grungy Q-tips, patches and toothbrushes?

Firearms are carefully cleaned after every trip to the range.
I work slowly, methodically, and have fun with it. No rushing.

For firearms that haven't been shot in months, disassembly and light re-oiling.
I put firearms away using an oil-soaked rag to prevent corrosive fingerprints.

That doesn't work well. The various nooks and crannies don't get cleaned out, pins and screws don't get clean, breach block doesn't get clean, etc. You have to completely disassemble the gun if you want it completely clean.

I really must be doing something wrong as mine usually come out spotless.
Maybe if I scrub longer and harder they won't be so clean :p

As the long-haired guy (former USMC) with Valor Ridge stated in his AKM-cleaning video..

It Could look super clean now, but will be dirty again :) in several more days.

i don't even understand the question

...who refused to carry a gun that had been cleaned until he'd fired a few rounds through it to verify function.
I utterly concur; every gun I wear has been fired to confirm proper function.
Yes I've ruined many shirts.

I admittedly have slovenly habits when it comes to 'cleaning' my handguns.
Normally I just buy new ones.

I have one Tanfoglio CZ75 clone that got hardchromed (and tweaked) by Bob Cogan at Accurate Plating & Weaponry back around '96--'97, and since has never been disassembled fully for 'cleaning' (it has been apart for extractor and trigger spring replacement); its rd-ct exceeds 100,000 rds to date.
By far.

Now I have a pair of P320 X5s (4 and 3 yrs old), and am considering availing myself of SIG's "send it in for cleaning" service.
Their rd-ct exceeds 1,000 rds each.
By far.

Mirrors my experience using duplicate range and carry semi-autos
Ill usually run the range twin until it stops functioning properly
Typically well into five figure round counts before anything starts to show up
The guns I use to train folks on often get cleaned more frequently but just so they have a better/cleaner experience

I used to be OCD about cleaning from military/LE careers
But after applying some logic, rational thought, and running the snot out of stuff
I now kind of laugh when I see people going on about cleaning after every trip
I think they believe it makes others see them as "better shooters" or some such

I utterly concur; every gun I wear has been fired to confirm proper function.
Yes I've ruined many shirts.

I admittedly have slovenly habits when it comes to 'cleaning' my handguns.
Normally I just buy new ones.

I have one Tanfoglio CZ75 clone that got hardchromed (and tweaked) by Bob Cogan at Accurate Plating & Weaponry back around '96--'97, and since has never been disassembled fully for 'cleaning' (it has been apart for extractor and trigger spring replacement); its rd-ct exceeds 100,000 rds to date.
By far.

Now I have a pair of P320 X5s (4 and 3 yrs old), and am considering availing myself of SIG's "send it in for cleaning" service.
Their rd-ct exceeds 1,000 rds each.
By far.

Generally:

There's a few of my rifles that get used only during the fall big game seasons. They get shot a few times before the season starts to check zeroes and to foul the bores. Then, they don't get cleaned 'till the season's over. They then get a thorough cleaning and put up in the safe 'till the next season. I periodically check them all out throughout the year at least a couple of times just because I like to mess with them. My Marlin lever guns are what I play with mostly throughout the year, and clean them when I think they might need it. My m.l.s and b.p.c.r.s get cleaned the same day I shoot them. Spent black powder needs attention fairly soon when lining a bore after a shooting session, and brass cases need the same attention after firing using the "Holy Black," too.

Back