Do you carry an old gun?

S&W Model 42 Centennial (1962)

S&W Model 66-2 Snubbie (1982)

S&W Model 10 (no dash) Snubbie (1959)

S&W Model 36 Snubbie (1969)

I carry the Model 66 rather frequently. I carry the others from time to time or when I feel sentimental. I only have one semi-auto from the early periods and it is a full size Colt Government M1911 that stays in a display case.

One here.

Several guns, actually, all made during the 80s or earlier (and some much earlier, like the 1930s!:D)

I am offended by the term old used with 1980's,,,

I am offended by the term old used with 1980's,,,
That would classify my 1951 vintage body as ancient :mad:

Okay, that was meant to be humorous. :p

But there is a bit of truth to the statement,,,
Something that's been around for a mere 38 years isn't "old".

I would be willing to bet that 1/3 of the 1911's carried are older than that.

But the truth is that guns, unlike other mechanical objects,,,
Traditionally have a much longer shelf life.

I own a revolver made in 1903 that I would trust to defend my life.

Aarond

For a long time, my daily carry was a Detonics Combat Master, from 1979.
When that gun was down for a while, I carried a Colt Pocket Hammerless, which I think is from 1916?
Very occasionally, I've carried a Commander from '84.

East German Makarov...1964, Favorite carry pistol along with Bulgarians which are not dated but probably 70s or 80s. Also have a 62' EG.

When fishing usually it's an early 80s (forget exact date) stainless, 2 3/4" Ruger Speed Six .357

1903 Colt hammerless 32. Made in1928

Only occasionally.

Chiefs special 1970. Replaced by aluminum frame 637.

David

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Made in the 1980's isn't old. Neither is most any firearm made in the 20th Century. Made for BP in the 19th Century is old. Mind you, everything is dependent on the condition of the piece.

CZ50 from 51, P64 from 71, TTC from 52 all have been toted around.
And a Savage 1917 from 1919 that may work it's way in.

I currently have two handguns that work defense roles, one of them fits here, an A-prefix S&W Model 469, a 2nd Generation alloy frame compact double-stack 9mm. 12+1 of Federal 124gr HST.

LoL! One that I used to carry that's from the 1980's is making me laugh because I bought and carried in the 80's. It's a Russian Makarov. I still own it, it still functions perfectly, and I would carry it without hesitation.

The pieces I've been carrying lately are more modern, but I did recently pick up a S&W Model 10-5 snubby from 1962 that I intend to start carrying when the weather is cooler.

1976 Ruger Police Service Six when I'm walking the dog around the neighborhood...and something more modern to back it up.

Me.

But I don't consider a 1911 made in the 1980s to be "old." Colts made then have the Series 80 firing pin safety -- that ain't "old," that's new.

I used to carry a Government Model Series 70....until I thought about the risk of losing it.

That is the reason that I bought some less expensive models designed for SD and concealed carry.

If you are ever unfortunate enough to have to use it, you will lose it as evidence and may not get it back.

Most all of my "older" guns are in this category, meaning I don't want to lose them because of some criminal. Funny how that works, ain't it??

Back