Do Dinosaurs still roam the earth?

Nicely put. I suppose one either loves these things or just wonders "Why?". To me there's little question. It's not a work of art, but a work of excellent engineering and, in collaboration with the machinist, the outcome a masterpiece of form and function.

I completely missed that one...not sure how. I wouldn't have been interested in owning it in that caliber, but I like to keep track of what comes and goes with a few selected guns and this is one of them.

A rare gunbroker auction indeed that includes more than two crappy photos!

Took the Grizzly to the range yesterday, not to do anything serious, but it show it off to a friend of a friend. New friend has an AMT Auto Mag IV .45 Win mag. Sadly, his .45WinMag is now a single shot.

He got a box of ammo (50rnd) from the Old Western Scrounger. This stuff is a very broad flat point JSP 250gr bullet, put up in Starline brass.

When he went to shoot it, the first round did a nosedive, smacked the magazine, which split. He is currently looking for a replacement magazine, so far, without finding one.

I handled the Auto Mag IV, it was interesting, and noticeably lighter than my Grizzly.

He gave me the (full) box of ammo, said if I had any use for it, I could have it. He pointed out the round that "broke" his gun. You could see in the lead where it had hung up on something, and it was just barely shorter than the other rounds. (slight setback).

It, and the rest of a magazine fed and fired in my Grizzly. That stuff is stout!
He shot a mag full through my Grizzly, and agreed! He also said the recoil was more than his Auto Mag IV. Personally, I think it was the ammo. Any way, I now have a full box of 50 (minus 12 fired) of this stuff, think I will reserve it for future testing.

Further updates when I have them.

Well, I found this one today at gb and I'd give my left *** for it in a heartbeat, but alas, no one really wants my left (or right) ***. So sadly, I'm afraid it's going to go to someone who couldn't possibly want it as badly as I do...

I can't help but daydream about going to the local IDPA match (outlaw division of course) with it. Score would stink, but the plate rack would be spectacular.

Not sure I could actually lift my arm high enough to get it out of a regulation holster, though, even with a standard barrel bushing. :)

OP, the Automag II is still in production...the 3, 4, and 5 are still not...

High Standard of Houston currently makes the Automag II,
and holds the keys to the rest...no idea why they haven't started them up as well??

I'd buy an Automag III in a heartbeat :D

Dinosaurs. Thought you was talking about me for a minute.

Ditto.

I often refer to myself as a dinosaur since I tend to stick to very old, trued-and-true designs for my shooting pleasure and cc.

I got a chance to shoot an Automag IV .45WM a few weeks back. Nice gun, very ..slender feeling. Recoil wasn't bad (but then, my standards might not be yours, :D).

Both the owner, and I, preferred my LAR GRIZZLY.

and no, I wasn't interested in a trade! :D

High Standard of Houston currently makes the Automag II,
and holds the keys to the rest...no idea why they haven't started them up as well??
Ooh, ooh, any ideas or reports on quality? That was one I always wanted, and still do, especially if the quality is better than AMT's.

Due to the interest in semi auto magnums, I'm bringing this one back, a lot of the information in it is still valid, and might be of interest.

I am wondering if the .460 Rowland fits the profile.

I went back through the thread, and based on what criteria I put up back then, the .460 Rowland isn't a "good fit". Close in some ways but not quite there. I was looking for guns that deliver "full" magnum performance for their bore size, and allow those rounds or guns with "Magnum" in the name.

So, I accept .22WMR (magnum in the round's name) and I also accept Automag III (.30 Carbine, but "magnum" in the gun name).

I don't mind if you want to talk about the .460 Rowland, and compare it to the magnum semis that are the main topic of the thread. As I see it, the Rowland works in properly converted 1911 guns, which is a plus for many things and many people, but falls just a little short of delivering what I consider "full magnum" velocities.

Still, worth while for discussion, and happy to have activity in their old thread.

Just pulled my AMT .22mag AutoMag 2 for a day of shooting last week. Shoots good as long as you keep the chamber very clean. It gets picky when it gets dirty.

attachment.php

I suppose in the sense that it is extinct, yes, but more like an evolutionary dead end, during the time of the dinosaurs, than one of the dinosaurs themselves.

It was a very cool idea, and might be something worth bringing back, if we ever get into armed combat in space/zero G. Just wasn't good enough here on earth.

I understand accuracy wasn't on a par with cartridge firearms, and due to it being a rocket, was actually more powerful further away than at close range (as the velocity went up).

and, of course, the only way "realoading" applied was putting more rounds in the gun...so, an idea ahead of its time, and ahead of the tech to make it viable.

In that regard, its the same as the dinosaurs I'm talking about, guns ahead of their time, which have since largely gone extinct.

Another long, long extinct one was the MARS pistol, of which not a lot of info is available. Large semi auto, one version reported to fire a .45 bullet at 1200fps. It might be considered the first of the dinosaurs in that respect, though it lived (in small numbers) and died out a couple of "epochs" before the dinosaurs were born.

Back