Do any of you actually use a 30 round handgun mag?

I had a 32 rounder for my Cobray M-11. It was fun to play with but it got old buying the ammo so I traded the M-11 for something more reasonable.

I had one of those years ago. What bothered me most, was the way the design magnified the recoil of the 9mm round.

Yes, I knew from the outset that a semi copy of a SMG pistol isn't really a practical gun. I did have some fun with it, but besides essentially unusable sights, the recoil was worse than any other 9mm I ever had. AND it was in a gun bigger and heavier than all my other 9mms.

The big bolt slapping back and forth over a pistol grip a 90 degrees just made it really awkward to shoot.

I replaced (eventually) the Cobray with a Tec 9. Still gives the Walter Mitty dream of a subgun, but is much more practical to use. Still not as good as a regular handgun for any serious use, but easier to plink (and get hits) with than the Cobray.

I did, one time, get a 25rnd drum mag for a 1911A1. Neat idea, kind of like the Luger snail drum. However, this one was absolute crap. Would not work in any of 3 different guns I tried it in. Simply would not feed. If you see one of these, even if tis free, avoid it.

As Beretta686 said, they are pretty much a novelty. I have used mine once in the only Glock I own and it was fun, but, like others, I haven't used it since.

Quite frankly, I find any mag that protrudes beyond the bottom of the grip annoying.

I got a couple of the 33 round glock mags mostly because they were there, and I could.
They're far to big to be carried for any practical purpose, and when I'm shooting at the range I generally under-load my mags pretty significantly to necessitate working on mag changes.
I have only actually "used" one of them to it's full potential once. It was vaguely fun but made me feel a little silly.

A use that I have found is that they work pretty well as ammo carriers. I often use one to keep track of my pricy JHP's when I'm at the range.
That way I can still have it as a conversation piece, without being "that guy".

Yes, I have one of the 33rd Glock 9mm mags.

I keep them fully loaded in my vehicle 'just in case'. They make fun range mags too.

I also have 40rd and 60rd AR and AK mags. You know, because reloading is overrated...

Dang skippy.

My chiropractor finally got around to purchasing a 9mm after twenty years of me being his patient and setting my holstered gun(s) on a chair in the adjusting room. He bought a Glock so I made sure he bought one 33 round mag to change to for when it hits the fan and he has to reload.:D

I have several Beretta 30 rnd mag. My wife lovers to use it in her Cx4 storm and I like the looks I get when I use it in my 92fs. It does seem to reduce the felt recoil in the 92 and because of the rear weight I seem to be able to get back on target faster.
If you have either of the weapons I suggest getting the mags from Beretta,
you won't regret it. Besides its just a whole lot of fun to shoot that much in a pistol without having to reload.

I plan to get one or two for my CZ75 at some stage, but I think 26rd is as big as those go, IIRR.

As for Glocks, a local dealer explained how he sold the idea of the G26 to some guys by showing that it could sit in his pocket, concealed, out it comes, ten shots then reload using the 33rd from the coat pocket: game on, bad guys!!

In that sense, I suppose it makes it a good choice if you're the type who likes to carry reloads, and has an inside pocket.

used a 170mm mag for my STI race gun IIRC it'd hold 27 but wouldn't always run full so I only loaded it with 25.
other than that I have some +2 base pads on my Para P14 and I have a 20 round mag for my BHP but havent used it since I dont shoot IPSC anymore and if I did I'd just break out the CZ Tac sport since it's standard mags hold 20

I doubt I would purchase a 30 round magazine for a handgun, even as a novelty. I don't even use 30 round mags with my 10/22 rifle. I am pretty comfortable with standard magazines overall or mags up to 20 rounds.

For fun all the time, at least when ammo was much cheaper. These days, not often if at all. For SD, no, due to many different reasons.

First is reliability. While Glock OEM mags seem to do ok, other ones that I have run across have not worked 100% unless you down loaded a few rounds or more. OEM Ruger BX-25 mags seem to be the other exception. They work pretty much flawlessly. The other reason is that a long mag sticking out of your grip makes the gun off balanced. It throws off my follow-up shot. Finally, a long mag can get caught on things just because it is there and you are not used to it.

Absolutely

My G26 is complemented by a Kel-Tec Sub2000. I purchased several Glock 33 (factory) mags not "primarily" for my handguns but for the carbines--to me carbine with a ten round magazine is totally inadequate even if you have several spare 10 rounders available. Not to veer off on a tangent, but I have a Hi Point .45 handgun and carbine and only wish Hi Point would produce a larger capacity magazine (I refuse to use the term "hi cap" magazine as it's the antis nomenclature IMO and not ours).

That said, say you throw a loaded 33 round mag in the truck even absent a corresponding carbine (though there are Sub2K's that are fed via Beretta mags as well)...If you ever (very unfortunately) find yourself in the need whereby more ammo is called for, having that 30 round mag to throw into your pistol is potentially invaluable to say the least (granted it's tactically not ideal for a prone position, navigating corners etc)...

Besides, they're fun to use at the range as you don't have to reload all the time and can use one mag for every three 10 rounders.

Lastly and I hope I am wrong and will do what I can with the NRA and the like to fight, but who knows how long they will be available in this or that State...?

I had a 33rd mag for my Glock 19 when I used to have that gun. Very reliable and fun at the range, but it was not practical for much else. I don't miss it.

Everyone should have a couple of these large stick mags. For what, I don't know. But, who cares, just buy them while you can.

Well I did lug around my 33 round mag when I carried a Glock 19 or 17.

But now that I'm back to a P226 my 2 spare mags are 20 rounders. They're always with me and when I'm at work I have those and 2 flush 18 rounders.

Someone gave me a 30 round magazine for a 1911. Used it once. Couldn't get it to feed properly and weight was ridiculous compared to what I was used to. However, i use 30 round mags in my AR exclusively.

I've got a 33 rounder for my golf one niner (Glock 19) that sits loaded with defensive rounds. I could see it's usefulness for LE/.mil work or home defense, or even as a backup mag in a vehicle when great firepower is needed.

But for me, really it just sits there. I really wouldn't say I "use" it because I don't! All I use are the three 15 round factory mags that came with my gun.

They certainly have there place though.

I have 2 extended mags. 1 is for a P 08 from W.W.I and a 32 round for a 1911a1 W.W.II vintage. Don't use either one they go with the pistols they came with.

I have a few 33rd. Glock mags that I've used in my G19 and G26, but it's tedious at a range that makes you shoot slowly. The main use for them is in my G17 Sub2K. I have 2 of the 30rd. Beretta 92 mags and like them just because.

The best reason to buy a few is because politicians don't want you to have them. It seems like a good enough reason to me. :D

Back